1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My dog breaks of my camper shell!!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by amag413, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Feb 24, 2019 at 6:10 AM
    amag413

amag413 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black Tacoma TRD Sport | Double Cab SB
    JD Fab 2.25 kit, Homemade flatbed, Four Wheel Camper
    So I purchased a used Leer camper shell with dreams of keeping my pups in the bed. I just had a kid and although my Cattle Dog usually rides shotgun, she has taken an interest in harassing the baby in the back. Australian Cattle Dogs are incredibly smart and loyal creatures which is what drew my to the breed. We mountain bike and fish together and she is never more that 5 feet away from me. Anyway, I put her in the bed and shut the the shell door for the first time and I shit you not before I was back in the drivers seat she had figured out how to use the interior safety lock to open the door and she's running the the passengers seat.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem with their cap and their smart dog? how have you fixed the problem? I am hesitant to file off the safety latch but I fear that may be the only option. on a side note, this system does not look very secure as anyone with a hanger could access the contents of my bed in a matter of seconds.

here is the culprit. (different vehicle)

IMG_6744.jpg

2. Feb 24, 2019 at 6:19 AM
    soggyBottom

soggyBottom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Neither of my dogs like being in the back. One of them acts like he is dieing if he is more than 5ft away. You could try putting up a fence.

It would somewhat restrict access to the back but it pops off in 2 secs if you really needed it off. I say somewhat because you can reach under it depending on how high/low you make it.

71rVqsY-vmL._SX679_.jpg

3. Feb 24, 2019 at 6:21 AM
    DW85

DW85 Dude.....

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab Tacoma TRD 4x4/2004 SR5 V6 4Runner
    Tacoma: Badlands basher front bumper Trail gear rear bumper Trail gear sliders OME Dakar’s OME 883 Coils Bilstein 5100s front Bilstein 5125s rear SPC Upper Control Arms Wheeler’s Extended brake lines ProComp 51 Series 15x8 3.5” BS 32x11.50x15 BFG KO2’s Honda CR-V windshield washer nozzles Hella 500FF fog lights Energy Suspension power steering rack bushings 4Runner: Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265/70r17’s TPMS Bypass mod RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch light brackets 1.25” Wheel Spacers 2” Front Leveling Kit
    Harness with leash attached to carabiner bolted to floor of bed out of reach of doors somehow?....:notsure:

4. Feb 24, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    amag413

amag413 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black Tacoma TRD Sport | Double Cab SB
    JD Fab 2.25 kit, Homemade flatbed, Four Wheel Camper
    wow I knew someone would have a good answer to this issue! I like both ideas and they certainly both solve the problem I will probably wind up using the leash suggestion until I find a gate that will work. thanks guys!

DW85 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top