1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my experience changing rear wheel bearing

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by Greensystemsgo, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Nov 14, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo [OP] Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Avondale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD/SR5 4x4
    5100/5125's All pro expedition leafs Eibach coils Light racing uca's 2004 gauge cluster All stainless brake lines 1" diff drop kenwood with polks rebuild seat support webbing satoshi grill optima red top
    turned into my neighborhood saturday morning and the wheel bearing crumbled. sounded like marbles crunching together, not a good sound.

anyways i ordered the seal (wrong one btw) from toyota, and bearing from autozone (a timken) and got to work sunday morning (in the rain).

Heres what it sounded like with the rear end jacked up and unlocked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOv16kKY2AM

Anyways i followed this guide. http://rlcanon.sw.utexas.edu/taco/rwb.html it all worked great, i did also soak it in pb blaster. ive never used the stuff but the entire process wasnt to hard so it went well. I did use the "slam on concrete method."

heres what mine looked like, note i have abs as the tutorial did not. the cuffs on either side of the abs speed sensor have to be cut off according to toyotas fsm, so thats what i did as the new bearing provides some.

IMG_20111113_084329.jpg

The seal from the guide, is if you DO NOT have abs, as i do, mines sunken and harder to destroy. the cuff furthest from the hub sits against the seal and keeps everything mostly dry.

IMG_20111113_085427.jpg

as the axle is semi floating, minimal fluid leaked out, and i mean like two or three drops.

to get the cuffs, and bearing on, i used a length of pipe that fit perfect to hammer em in. the pipe end i was hammering on actually had a piece of quarter inch welded to it as it was previously used as a frame for a car part. we needed a hand sledge to put the new cuffs on.

I did pinch the break lines with a vice grip (the rubber lines), and afterwards just had to reverse bleed the breaks and all was well.

all in all knowing what i know now, this could be a two hour job.

hand sledge, assortment of flat head screw drivers, set of metric sockets, metric wrenches, snap wring plyers, breaker bar to put hub back on tight, and for the breaks an eye dropper, lenght of iv hose, and break fluid. also a pipe, dremel, and an air wrench for wheel.

I would like to give a shout out to chris 4x4, the_glory_fades, and bfabrian for their over the phone, and on hands help.

2. Nov 14, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Avondale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD/SR5 4x4
    5100/5125's All pro expedition leafs Eibach coils Light racing uca's 2004 gauge cluster All stainless brake lines 1" diff drop kenwood with polks rebuild seat support webbing satoshi grill optima red top
  3. Nov 15, 2011 at 12:03 AM
    LifeIsGood169

LifeIsGood169 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 5spd
    Chime Mod Kenwood Headunit Greased all Zerks, locks, and bushings Reverse Flood Lights Extang Cover Weather stripped tailgate Burner Fog Lights Toggle Switches in Dash
    Are the bearings dry? Do you ever grease them? I don't get why they are going out? What's going on? Lots of water crossings then high speed travel?

4. Nov 15, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Avondale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD/SR5 4x4
    They are sealed unservicable units. Time, mileage, and driving kills them. I bought the truck at 172 miles and its at 185 now, ive been wheeling twice now, and the second time wheeling was last night.

To Top