1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My first Corvette...I mean, Tacoma. It's new BUT...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Thelonius, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Oct 18, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    Thelonius

Thelonius [OP] Member

Member:
    After so many, many years of coveting, deliberating and agonizing, I went out...on a whim...and bought my first Tacoma - a brand new 2010 TRD Sport 4x4. With its sporty look and agile handling, I like to refer to this vehicle as the "Corvette of trucks". But...

I have noticed that the brakes pulsate when engaged and feel exactly like a car with warped/worn rotors. What the hell? This is a 2010 model, which means it has been sitting on the lot for some time now, perhaps developing rust on the rotors? I don't know, just hypothesizing here. So I am taking it to the dealer on Thursday. If it is the rotors and the dealer wants to turn them, should I raise hell and insist on new parts or will the loss of metal (or whatever material they are made from) be negligible? I'm crazy about my baby and, like most of you, I want the best for her.

Of course, I am speculating as to what the actual issue might be. Have any of you experienced or heard of anything similar to this?

2. Oct 18, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    I would def demand new parts. Welcome to TW.

*edit* When a brake pedal pulsates, it's more than likely your rotors are warped. Has it been raining heavily where you are? Have you driven though high water?

The dealer will most likely ask you these questions.

3. Oct 18, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    My brakes are a joke... I finally paid $400 for all new brakes and they still aren't "good". That is my one biggest gripe about my truck. Good luck though!

4. Oct 18, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Depends on what you mean by "pulsate." It sounds like ABS to me.

5. Oct 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    drcollie

drcollie Active Member

Member:
    Don't worry too much about it. The Dealer will most likely a have an 'on the vehicle' rotor lathe and can turn down any high spots on the rotors while they are on the truck. These systems were developed for vehicles like Land Cruisers and Honda Accords that have the rotors integrated into the bearing hub. It's actually very trick, and leaves a buttery-smooth result as it takes into account all vibrations and harmonics from the suspension and running gear.

While 'warped rotors' is a common term to use on a pulsating brake pedal,more often its a pad material 'hot spot' on a rotor that can cause that, or even a defective or out-of-balance tire.

6. Oct 19, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    This was the first thing i thought, can you feel it in the steering wheel when breaking?

7. Oct 19, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Mine has done this since I got it 3 years ago. It's not a violet pulsing like the rotors are warped or a tire is out of balance, more of an annoying pulsating letting you know the brakes are junk... Just wearing them down waiting for the opportunity to replace them. The stock brakes suck in my opinion.

8. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Congrats on the new truck, I have a 2010 Sport and my brakes didn't do that. They do feel a little soft at first but I don't notice now. I love my truck. I waited years before I bought mine as well.

9. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    Furb

Furb Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVa
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR, 93 Supra TT, 93 MR2T
  10. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    x2

I really hate how mushy my brakes are...they feel like they fade so quickly. going from 65 to 0, i have the pedal almost all the way to the floor. (im comming off a main road on to a small road to a subdivsion)

11. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Brakes are not the best for sure. I had to grab 2nd gear on the highway the other day because some jackass cut me off. I always grab a low gear in a panic stop, I know it's not the best for the tranny but it's the quickest way to stop in an emergency.

12. Oct 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I got the Tacoma pulse too !:eek: I thought I was special. Now I'm disappointed :(to find almost everybody has it.

13. Oct 19, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    There was a rash of guys with bad drums on the rear brakes back in '09. I know a guy I work with had that issue on his brand new truck, took it back and they replaced the drums. I think I recall reading a few posts on this as well.

14. Oct 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    dont hammer on brakes unless you have to

15. Oct 19, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    When the ABS is activated you'll get a grinding type sound in cab. If you get a vibration through the steering wheel when braking, it's most likely warped front rotors and/or possibly warped rear drums aswell. I've seen both scenarios.
    Flash rust on the rotors will sound like a brake wear indicator (high pitch squeek)

16. Oct 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Thats my only gripe as well....are the brakes.

17. Oct 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I guess I got the good brakes because my brakes feel great! Have never had a problem with them and don't feel mushy at all.

18. Oct 19, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

That's good to know. I only have about 35Kmiles on my truck and I was wondering why the brakes were squeaking. But it's been really rainy here lately.

19. Oct 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    Thelonius

Thelonius [OP] Member

Member:
    The brakes are not making any noise and I can tell you all that I drove several Tacomas before I bought this one and none of them had brakes that felt this way. The tires are well-balanced so that is not the problem; it is definitely the brakes. Now, the spongy, soft brake thing...I don't have that problem. After reading so many threads on here it is starting to sound like Tacomas are highly individualistic (much like vintage guitars) with some having responsive brakes and bad highway wind noise while others on the same lot are just the opposite.

Again, if it is the rotors and the dealer wants to turn them, should I protest and ask for new parts or will the wear be negligible?

Thanks.

20. Oct 20, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    I would have them replace the rotors. All turning a rotor does is make the rotor thinner so it'll happen that much faster the next time. We're talkin a few hundreads of an inch but it does make a difference. If they bitch about replacing them, a call to toyota usa should get the correct fix for the truck. It's kinda rediculous that a 2010 needs rotors already. Most techs would agree

Products Discussed in

To Top