1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My First Taco! also my first Toyota!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by IllinoisTaco, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    IllinoisTaco

IllinoisTaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Well here she is. My first Taco ever. I looked for about 3 months and drove a ton of taco's before deciding on this on. She has 103,000 Miles on it. Let me know what you all think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    IllinoisTaco

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    sorry about the last picture being upside down. For some reason im having trouble getting them to look right. I have rotated them and saved and rotated and saved...lol They still dont seem to save correctly.

3. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    Good looking truck
    looks clean and low miles...good find.

4. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    nice... but you made me do a handstand just to look at the 1st pic

5. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    IllinoisTaco

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Well, I have this posting all jacked up! rofl..sorry guys im a noob at this. :(

6. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    sick 3.4 tacoma

sick 3.4 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    portland Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2003 double cab 4x4
    elite bumper, xrc8 winch, 12in sub, cb, flowmaster, deck plate mod, 3in lift.
    if you dont mind me asking how much did you pick it up for?

7. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    IllinoisTaco

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Well...im not sure if i have them upside down or not. They all look fine to me lol

When i first started my journey on trying to find a good Taco i was willing to give around 8 to 9 grand. I ended up finding out they hold their value really well. lol After 3 months or so i finally found this one and gave 12K for her. I still thought i over paid but the last owner told me the truck has only had Full Synthetic Mobil One in it since day 1. He replaced a few normal thing but never replaced the Timing Belt...which scares me and i dont want to put more money in it. He also has had the frame coated since 30,000 miles.

I was going to try and do it myself but im not much of a mechanic. lol Im sure i could do it though. Just scared

8. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    nice find. clean looking good. as everyone will say, keeping up with scheduled maintenance will be the key to that truck keeping its value.

9. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    Great looking truck, I think you got a winner. However you need to get the timing belt changed. They normally last about 90,000 miles. The 3.4L engine is a great engine. With regular service the Tacoma will last almost forever.

10. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    IllinoisTaco

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    TMW, I am wanting to get it replaced soon but to get the timing belt and water pump changed with all the belts is going to cost me 750 bucks! that seems high. I want to try it myself but like i said im not the best mechanic. However im gonna have to learn sometime lol

11. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Welcome to TW and congrats on your "new" truck.

Keeping the maintenance up-to-date is the key to reliability and, as facemob said, retention of value. The timing belt should have been replaced at 90K miles. Recommend you take care of that, and anything else that's lacking, ASAP. Synthetic oil is great, but it won't overcome cutting corners in other areas...

If you haven't already done so, head over to the Toyota Owner's Site where you can download manuals, a recommended maintenance schedule for your truck (attached here too), and check on recalls/TSBs. The is also an invaluable reference.

Attached Files:

12. Dec 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    IllinoisTaco

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Norton, thank you very much. I have that exact thing in my glove box. Im going to look it over and see what did get done and didn't.

13. Dec 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Clean trk don't worry about the belt right away if it breaks its a non interfering engine, how many miles on the trk, engine bay looks super I wish I could clean mine up to look that clean.

14. Dec 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    IllinoisTaco

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    there is 103,000 miles on it. The engine bay is very clean. Looks very well kept. What do you mean by a Non interfering engine? if you don't mind me asking.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions... this is a great forum!

15. Dec 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Non-interference means the engine won't destroy itself if the timing belt breaks. Make no mistake, though, a broken timing belt is NEVER a good thing.

The best case is the truck simply won't run and must be towed from where the belt breaks to where it will be replaced. The worst case (for interference engines) is the vehicle won't run and must be towed from where the belt breaks, to where the engine will be rebuilt/replaced.

16. Dec 24, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    IllinoisTaco

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, I will most likely get it replaced. I think i might try it myself.

I dont know why my pictures are all jacked up! lol I just got on my Iphone to see how it looks and they are all upside down.. Hmmm...

17. Dec 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    They all looked OK when I first hit the thread but, now, the first one is upside down. :confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top