1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My First Tacoma!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by salttram, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    salttram

salttram [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    San Pedro, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4X4 TRD XTRA CAB
    Wow . . . this is a great forum!

I hope I made the right decision for this next vehicle. I just bought a used, fairly high mileage 2001 ExtraCab 4X4 TRD to replace my 1989 4Runner. The 4Runner still drives OK, but at 282K it's ready for its second timing belt, first water pump and the drive-line is making a strange oscillating rumble that could be an out-of-balance wheel or . . . ? The motor runs and sounds great but barely passed its last smog check. It even gets decent gas mileage. No, this isn't an ad, and yes, it is for sale.

I'm hoping that the Tacoma can continue in the outstanding tradition of the 1st Gen 4Runner. Many of my friends that wheel with me in Baja California and CA/AZ/NV mountains and deserts have the 1st Gen Tacoma TRDs with the rear-locking diff that has made all the difference in getting up those really difficult loose, rocky pitches on the way to our special nirvana camp sites. My biggest concern is that big stretch between the front and rear axles. I'm looking forward to doing some research on this site to see how others have dealt with this in preparation for fairly rough, rocky wheeling circumstances. My second concern was build quality with the Tacoma, but after giving it a good look-over, it really seems to be a solid, well-built truck like my 4Runner.

This Tacoma I just bought looks really great, inside and out. I know I'll cringe when I hear that first SCREEEEECH! when I drive through the mesquite branches overhanging the trails in Baja, but hey . . . it's a truck, right?

My compliments to the good folks who created and maintain this excellent forum, I'll have to put it right up there with KLR650.net. Thanks!

2. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Welcome from Phoenix.

3. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    VixTacom

VixTacom SYC TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Wayne, NJ
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TRD
    LED's and Neon Glow inside, Blacked out front end, 4X4 with Locking Diff, 5spd Manual, TRD package, CB Radio, Gray Wire Mod, Thrush exhaust system, Tinted marker lights, tailights, interior lights
    Welcome to TW.. How many miles are on the tacoma?

4. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    welcome

5. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    Przemekmsu

Przemekmsu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Przemek
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, SR5 V6, 4x4 TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter, WickedFlow Exhaust muffler
    Welcome to TW !!!!!!

6. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    salttram

salttram [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    San Pedro, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4X4 TRD XTRA CAB
    It has 163K and drives nicely but a little louder in the cab than the 4Runner. After driving a few Tacomas I realize that this is the case. I could see doing some sound-dampening.

Looking for a camper shell for it and planning to outfit the bed for camping. It has a "tight & right" feeling that I like! I feel confident in this purchase, as the most serious Tacoma complaints seem to be clock location and seat belt tension.

True that . . .

7. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    Ccwahoo

Ccwahoo "Get comfortable being uncomfortable" Goggins

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4
    Welcome Sir from VA

Products Discussed in