1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My FX-R Projector Retro...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TBK224, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nov 23, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    TBK224

TBK224 [OP] ~THE LIGHT GUY~ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    6" Pro Comp Stage One Lift Kit and 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's riding on 18" XD Addict Wheels
    I definitely like the tinge of blue better. It also gives it alot more color at the top of the cut off.

2. Nov 23, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah the 6K's look a lot better. I'm glad I went with the 50W bulbs/ballasts.:)

3. Nov 23, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    very nice, subscribing :)

4. Nov 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    6" Pro Comp Stage One Lift Kit and 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's riding on 18" XD Addict Wheels
    Yeah, the tinge of blue definitely looks better IMO.

Thanks.

5. Nov 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    I figure since i have not mentioned it yet, now would be a good time..... i hate you. because now i have to save up for new ballasts and 6k bulbs. thanks a ton.... once i order, ill give my wife your name so she knows who to blame. lol.

6. Nov 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    :rofl: You can just sell your 4500K 35W bulbs/ballasts to someone else and make up some of the money but I wont buy them cause I was smart and got the 6K 50W bulbs/ballasts!!:p:p:p Lol, jk jk!!!:D

7. Nov 23, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ

oh now i see how it is..... lol. actually im glad i bought the ballasts and bulbs i did because they are valued higher..... on RFS.com it says the 50 w ballasts are $110 and the bulbs are only $50 FOR 6000K.... My ballasts are listed for $150 and the bulbs are $95. so in theory i should be even if i can find a buyer.

ps.... i hate you as well.

8. Nov 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Oh really? Hmmm...I wonder why the lower wattage bulbs and ballasts are cheaper? Oh well, dude you know I was messing with you bud.;)

9. Nov 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    Kris, you have Denso ballasts and Philips bulbs don't you?

10. Nov 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    lol i know you were kidding.

No Tim, I have the Matsushita gen IV ballasts and yes i have philips bulbs.

11. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    You can do what you like but for best actual use you do NOT want over 4300K, you do NOT want ANY blue in the cut off as it glares you and other drivers. It limits your actual distance you can see.

I see lots of places that sell projectors acting like somehow the factory could have made the light BETTER if there was not a frosted or frensle lens. They did this to eliminate the POOR cutoff and glare that are created. Using what they are making you pay for as an "upgrade" is actually making your light worse... its a step back. You annoy other drivers more and decrease you ability to see. Thats the fact. Do what you want , but one day as HIDs become more prominant you will see sharp and blue cut offs like that become illegal... which they very well should be.

Same for 6K bulbs... they exist so people who retrofit halgen lights with illegal HID kits can try to fake the color others see in real HID projecters because of the blue cutoff FLAW. They are emulating the very thing that is bad about projectors because they are ignorant. 6K bulbs is about as stupid as blue tinted halogen headlamps... they guys who had the good projectors saw 4300K on the road. The blue was seen by the guys wishing they had a high end vehicle with projector HIDs.

Its fine to do what you want to the truck, its yours. People just need to undrestand that 6K bulbs do nothing positive for you, label you as ignorant to those who know better, and are the oringally product of ignorant posers who could not afford a car with HIDs. That is the sole reason they exist.

The idea that they are "cool" actually makes me shake my head. I use that 6K and up color, as a police officer to easily identify illegal HIDs and write tickets on them because it is SO easy to spot. IMO its a bigger public nuisance and danger than speeding 10mph over the limit.

Sorry illegal lights just hits a nerve with me.

50W+ ballasts
    6K+ color
    HID kits for halogen lights

All are illegal and all should, and eventually will, get a lot more attention from law enforcement. The peole who use them on the road are the ones who are "dicks" not the ones who try to convince people to use legal and responsible lighting.

12. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    Hey Danny, the lower wattage bulbs/ballasts arent cheaper, they are actually about $85 more. They cost more because they are OEM parts. The 50w bulbs/ballasts are less because they are TRS's in house parts. They are about 95% of the quality of the OEM parts, which is really good. TRS also offers a better warranty on their in house parts. Like Kris said, he is running OEM parts right now which is why they cost more.

13. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    Ok man, like weve both said now, I will do what I want and you can do what you want. I will also ask you AGAIN to please not post negative comments on MY build page. If this is really such a big deal to you, start your own thread letting all of us "dicks" out there know how "ignorant" we are because were not doing what YOU think is right. If this is going to be a problem we can always take it up with the mods and see what they think. Thanks for the free bump again.

14. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    copernicus

copernicus Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you're going to be building safety items for people you should at least be aware of correct light properties.

What he's speaking about if factually correct in regards to usable light output.

15. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    I would be more than happy to compare my projectors to any other OEM lights out there, with or without HID pnp kits installed. My lights are much brighter, they give off no glare whatsoever, and even with my truck having a 6" lift I can still pull up right behind a normal sedan and my lights will never go through their back window or hit their mirrors and blind them. If you want to talk usable output, my lights have MUCH more usable output than OEM.

16. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    copernicus

copernicus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Are you equating brightness with usable light?

:eek:

17. Nov 23, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    If you or DevL would like to keep going about this, please PM me. No need to start a shit storm on my thread for everyone to see. :crapstorm:

Thanks.

18. Nov 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ

I completely agree. Take it elsewhere boys. No need to ruin this build thread.

Furthermore, Id like to point out that we are all adults here and it is our own responsibility to make educated decisions. If i want to move to a 6000k bulb with a 50w ballast it is my job to search and find what the end result will produce. When you go on to Retrofitsource.com and order your kit and happen to select 6000k with a 50w ballast, they dont advise you that "youre going to be getting a lesser quality light output with less visible light"..... they expect that you have done your research and know what you are getting into.

P.S. this is his build thread..... not his FS thread, therefore he has the liberty to post whatever he wants to.... if it is his opinion that the 6000k 50w lights are brighter then who cares.

19. Nov 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    Thanks Kris. This is not the place to argue who is right or wrong. I will be more than happy to talk to anyone with negative thoughts through PMs, but please dont clutter my thread with negative posts. Thanks.

20. Nov 23, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    X2. I def agree with you Kris.;)

Products Discussed in

To Top