1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My MPG is NOT Bery GOOD. WHY?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GeoTaco1, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    GeoTaco1

GeoTaco1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    I was getting a slight vibration and I thought maybe it was the tires (NOT) I still have the vibration. Also, Snow / Ice performance not so good.

I am going to keep them as my summer tires if noone wants to buy them.

Se link below for the Sale of the Century,
    sale price only $110 per tire, savings of $50 X 4 = $200 Savings. :D

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/134323-selling-4-bfg-rugged-trails-240-miles.html

If I can sell them, then I may add front bumper light bars and side step rails.

Well, I am going to keep it at 65 (but I can't, it vibrates at 65) so then I will keep it at 55 and drive like my wife now to see if I get improved MPGssssss

2. Feb 1, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    mattygabe

mattygabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Access Limited Soft Rollup Tonneau Cover
    Do all newer Tacomas have the fuel economy comp built in?

3. Feb 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    No, we use pen, paper, calculators or scangauge II.

4Runners have them though

4. Feb 1, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    mattygabe

mattygabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Access Limited Soft Rollup Tonneau Cover
    Interesting. This'll sound like a real dumbass question, but is it the simple calculation, i.e. miles driven divided by gallons of gas consumed? I thought the EPA made it a bit more complicated and more realistic in 07.

5. Feb 1, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Epa calculations were changed to meet real-world values. Before, they were too optimistic. Your real world calculations are in fact miles divided by gallons consumed.

6. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    800 miles and AVG is 18 MPG, first tank was 16 and keeping it around 2k on hiway.

1) tires
    2) you have a lead foot

7. Feb 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I would like to see the gas mileage figures with trucks with and without the hood scoop, its possible the trucks with the hood scoop may get worse mileage cause it causes a drag, or a restriction of air flow over the front hood and over the windshield.
    I have noticed with snow on the hood of my truck with the hood scoop that there is a dead air spot between the rear of the hood scoop and the bottom of the windshield, where the snow collects there and doesn't blow off even at fast highway speeds.
    also the Tacoma doesn't use a bottom front air dam like other truck makers use, a front air dam located below the front bumper will help conduct a better flow of air that can help with wind interfearance and can also increase mileage.
    How come nobody else thought of that?

8. Feb 2, 2011 at 12:47 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Because it's dumb , having the hood scoop isn't going to alter your fuel economy .

9. Feb 2, 2011 at 2:31 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    This time of the year I get 17-18mpg when only commuting - 50/50 in-town driving. When I take road trips, I bump into 20mpg. That's been pretty consistant over the last couple years that I've been tracking.

Not sure just how broke-in a new Toyota engine is, but new engines tend to run tighter tolerances which means there's a drag on the powerband. As you put on the miles, the engine will loosen up and you should see the mpg's go up. I'd think somewhere around 4000 miles is where it should be broken in to the point that you will see better numbers.

I wouldn't worry too much about it now. Get a couple thousand more miles on it and see if it starts to get better. Unless the engine computer it screwed up, you should see improvement.

Oh ya, the biggest hit on mpg is gas pedal contact to the floorboard. Try to avoid as much as possible.

10. Feb 2, 2011 at 3:40 AM
    SunTzu

SunTzu Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    '07 4WD TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100 shocks and struts TRD cold air intake TRD stainless steel exhaust TRD short shifter TRD floor mats
    Glad to see I'm not alone in bad mpg. its consistently below freezing here, a day in double digits fahrenheit is a good day. last few tanks I have been averaging 15-16mpg. I gotta change my spark plugs to see if that helps a bit.

BTW, V6 6spd 4x4 Off-Road Package, but keeping it on the highway 2wd mostly

11. Feb 2, 2011 at 4:34 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    x1

12. Feb 2, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    GeoTaco1

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    Good topic!

How do you guys break in a new truck?

I try to drive at different speeds as much as possible, and I will not take a very long trip of more than 50 miles. What else should I be doing?

I am also thinking of changing the oil at 2000 miles instead of 3000?

13. Feb 8, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    GeoTaco1

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I had an improvement to 17.4 MPG!!!

I drove it at 55 and mostly on the highway (could not drive over 60 due tot he vibration), and took off 120 lbs of sand from bed (left only 120 lbs on top of the rear wheels).

Used 87 Regular Octane.

14. Feb 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    RiverRatMatt

RiverRatMatt Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4 Manual Transmision
    1986 Front Tow Hook Yellow Wire Mod Fan squeak fix
    The 4.0L is a racing engine... not a truck engine. Combine a high RPM engine with a low gear transmission and you get poor mileage.

15. Feb 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM
    Doug2000

Doug2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7L
    Note in calculations, my speedometer is out 4% according To my Garmin. Take that into account in miles traveled.

16. Feb 9, 2011 at 12:05 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s

Thanks man! I knew everything but the defroster and I usually have that on whether I need it or not. :D

17. Feb 9, 2011 at 5:02 AM
    705 Taco

705 Taco Zombie Killer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Barrie ON / St. Petersburg FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC
    --Stock 2016. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2011 had 6 inch ProComp lift, Eibach coils on 5100 Bilsteins at zero, 1/4 inch Toytec spacer on drivers side, rear TSB, 1.5 inch Deaver AAL, ProComp blocks and rear shocks, 8000 lb Warn winch on a Trans4mer grill guard, 33 inch BFG AT's, 18x9 XD Monsters, PIAA headlights, PIAA driving lights, Pyro's blue LED gauges, LED strip below tailgate, Armor Lid hard tonno, Hidden Hitch, Dee Zee bed mat, Tint, XM, Garmin GPS, Ultra Gauge
    I just got 22.5 mpg on only my second fill up. And it's COLD here.

Products Discussed in

To Top