1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MY NEXT TRUCK: 6spd DC SB 4WD versus 5spd Auto DC LB 4WD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 007Tacoma, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Dec 24, 2007 at 9:49 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma [OP] I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Okay, I just drover 15 hours out to see my wife's family in New Mexico. We had the bed of the truck completely loaded down with luggage and Christmas presents (I looked like Santa when you pulled back the cover). The cab of the truck was filled with me, my wife, 1 Golden Retriever, 1 Black Lab, 1 Schnauzer/Terrier Mix, 5 blankets, 1 dog bed, 2 computer bags, and some jackets. It all worked out pretty well.

Then we hit the crosswinds East of El Paso on I-10. Gusts were up to 40 MPH. The speed limit is 80 MPH. That means we had head winds at times of 120 MPH. The high end on the 2.7L doesn't like resistance. We held 80 MPH, but at the cost of fuel economy (average 15 MPG). It was a struggle. :mad:

Since so many people are getting close to 20 MPG out of the 4.0L V6 4WD anyway (I average 23 overall), I am considering getting a V6 4WD. If there is anything that I regret, it is not getting 4WD. The cost difference is so close these days that it doesn't make sense to me not to get it.

Also, I want a double cab - always have. My wife and I plan on having kids. ;)

Also, Todd Herman of Diesel Toyz (www.dieseltoyz.com) has a conversion kit to drop a diesel into a V6 Tacoma. It would take some re-engineering to put it in where the 2.7L was. Eventually, I plan on dumping the gas engine for a diesel, but keeping the same truck. :D

So, now I am in debate. I want a double cab 4WD (no doubt), but I want a long bed too. Problem is, I can't get the 6 speed manual in the long bed. :frusty: So my question to all of Double Cab 4WD guys is...

Which do you have (6 speed manual or 5 speed auto), and what kind of fuel economy, power, performance, and satisfaction do you get out of it?

Help me out here guys. My wife has given me the go-ahead, but we both want to make an informed decision. I don't want to buy another truck for 10-15 years.

Cheers!

2. Dec 24, 2007 at 9:51 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    We are also looking at possibly getting a 4.0L V6 4 wheel drive 4Runner, but I don't know if I want to deal with the weight and the lack of a bed. It all depends on comfort for my wife. We have to be able to take long trips in it and haul ~5,000lbs.

3. Dec 24, 2007 at 10:05 AM
    knhtruck

knhtruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    XRD 4x4 Blue
    Undercover cap, TRD colored pinstriping, top rack
    I have a 2007 double cab 4.0L auto. Only 4300 miles.

I love the truck. Some things I would like that are not offered.
    The 4.0L has alot of power, as it will move to get on the freeway.
    In checking, I am only getting about 19 mpg. Our other vehicle is the 2005 AWD Sienna van and it only gets 19 (25000 miles). I have not pulled with it yet.

4. Dec 24, 2007 at 10:10 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I have an 06 4wd, DC, 6 speed, short box, and it is everything I could ask for in a truck, I have never been happier. I came from a 1993 Dodge Ramcharger, 4wd, 2door, 360 V-8, very powerful and thirsty. I doubled my fuel milage, got much easier access to the back of the cabin of the truck, plus for every thing that I do the 5 ft bed works just fine. I must tell you that the 6 speed trans. takes a while getting used to it. Once I did I am just fine with it. I find it very torquey, I had over a thousand lbs of stone in the back more than once and it just tools along. I didn't really need a DC but now that I have it I am very happy. :)

5. Dec 24, 2007 at 11:27 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Well Mark, you know my mileage numbers almost as well as I do at this point, and my best is slightly over 20 MPG. That was also before the switch to synthetic oil, and pre afe filter, and pre the (still pending) exhaust.

All said and done I hope to be at about 21.5-22 MPG give to take a tenth on the highway.

Of-course I am talking about an access cab and not a double cab.

You are in the same boat I was in as far a wanting the manual trans and the long bed, and the double cab. Unfortunately in Toyota's infinate wisdom you can only have two of the three of them. I chose long bed and manual trans, which netted me an access cab. And that was fine with me as it is just me, the wife and the one dog, and kids are not in our future. However, on the rare occasion that there are more than just the two of us going somewhere it would be nice to have the double cab.

The 6 speed is geared a little low, and the auto will get somewhat better mileage on the highway as at 75 the auto is (I believe) turning 2100 RPM give or take and the manual is turning about 2500. I might have the speed or the RPM wrong on that but whatever the numbers are there is about a 400 RPM difference at highway speed between transmissions.

As for power, performance and satisfaction. I couldn't be happier. If we both make it to the carolina meet, and you promiss not to screw with my seat or mirrors, feel free to take it for a spin to get a feel for the v6 and 6 speed combination.

6. Dec 24, 2007 at 12:29 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I've got the automatic (no 4WD though) and it's a pleasure to drive. Plenty of power when I've needed it. 20 MPG is the best I've seen on one tank of pure highway miles, however I only have 4000 miles on the truck, so it's not really "broke in" yet. It hits right at 2000 RPM when going 70 MPH. I've been seeing 17-18 MPG with pure city driving. I mostly do city driving, so I was happy to get rid of my last truck, which was a manual.

I'm curious what the attraction to the long bed is about? That sucker is longer than a Suburban. Last week my FIL an I put in some time to get me setup to haul any 8 foot long lumber or ply easily in my short bed. Longer items could flop a bit at the end, but 10 footers should be easy too. We did it all for $30. $20 for a truck bed extender from Harbor Freight (fits into hitch receiver) and some mods to it, plus $8 for an 10 foot 2x8 cut to fit into the notches in the bed.

7. Dec 24, 2007 at 2:06 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I have the DC 4x4 V6 Auto. I get 17-18 with mixed, mostly city driving. I can't imagine you would need more power. I think the auto actually gets better mileage than the standard. I have seen umpteen pictures of you hauling stuff. With all the hauling you do I would think you would be happiest with the DC V6 Auto long bed, except when it comes time to park it. I don't think having the Auto is going to bother you one bit...

8. Dec 24, 2007 at 4:25 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have the 6-speed manual DC TRD Off Road SB. I have about 4000 miles on it. I get about 15-17mpg (about 50/50 driving). I'll get closer to 17 on the highway. I believe the TRD Off-Road has a different rear-end so it's not as fuel efficient as the TRD Sport. At highway speeds, I'm running about 2500 rpm at 70mph. The wisdom on the board is to keep the truck below 2000 rpm for the best mileage. For me that would mean running about 55-60.

1st gear is pretty high. You could start in 2nd but it does bog.

The power is good. I like that with a manual I can run it in the gear I want.

9. Dec 24, 2007 at 4:30 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    yeah, i've got the auto sport and running at 70 is right on 2000 rpms for me. oh...and i also usually get 20-21mpg full highway and 18-19 mixed

10. Dec 24, 2007 at 8:24 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I've got the 6spd 4wd DC SB. I love it! It makes turns damn near as tight as my Corolla, is faster, and handles curves better! Even with the 3" lift and 2" larger tires. With my 285's I'm running around 2500rpm (give or take a couple 100 RPM) at 80mph on the highway.

Sure, it's geared lower than the autos, but how many people are complaining about the autos down shifting on cruise? People on TN were complaining that it was a rather violent 2 gear down shift. It would jump down 2 gears, surge ahead, match set speed, shift back to OD, and then repeat the process a few seconds later when speed dropped below set point. Maybe it's fixed now, but I'd rather not even HAVE the chance of that happening. My 6spd can hold 75-80 on the highway regardless the terrain.

It also has enough power that it's more or less an auto once I get above 30mph. And by that I mean I don't have to shift unless I stop, slow below 25, or need to accelerate rapidly. It can cruise very nicely at 30mph in 6th, and can drop down to 25 and come back up without complaining (on flat terrain without much of a load).

Want to offroad it? No problem. Clutch start-cancel button lets you start in gear and crawl ahead without juggling clutch, brake and gas. REALLY steep hill to go up? Use 4LO. Chances are idle speed will be enough and you'll never touch the clutch unless you stop. I've started 4LO in 3rd gear and walked up hills without touching the pedals until I reached the top. Maybe feathering the gas a little for big rocks, but you get the idea.

A lot of people bitch and complain about the 6spd, but personally I think they are all on crack and have no idea what they're talking about. :laugh:

As for 1st gear being tall or lugging starting in 2nd.... Learn the term "rolling stop". :laugh: I don't stop unless I HAVE to, so it stays in 3rd usually.

11. Dec 26, 2007 at 10:45 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i have the double cab shortbed 5spd auto. I love it, but it boils down to personal preference and what you need. The auto does get slightly better mileage than the 6 speed, probably due to gearing. Also, from looking over some of toyota's promotional brochures and vids, i have gathered the following.... for performance, mileage and speed, go for the automatic. However, the 6 speed manual is able to take advantage of the massive torque in the V6 better than the auto. This is based on what toyota said about the taco. decide what you need most and go with it, either way i'm sure you'll be happy. the V6 is fun :)

12. Dec 26, 2007 at 3:55 PM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Having owned both the 5-spd auto and the 6-spd man, If I was you I would opt for the auto. It is a much better transmission and like ND said it gets better gas mileage. I def miss my D-Cab even though it wasn't 4wd, but the X-Runner is so much fun to drive.:burnrubber:

13. Feb 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Well, as much as I wanted another 2nd Generation Tacoma, the diesel engine/tranny/x-case that I now have are made for a 1st Generation...

...so now I am crossing the generation gap.

Later this week I will be purchasing a 2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD from a very nice gentlemen who has taken immaculate care of this vehicle. Here are some pictures...

...and ndcouch, this one is just for you!!! ;)

Todd Herman at Diesel Toyz already has a 1KZT-E 3.0L Toyota Turbo Diesel engine with Tranny and transfer case waiting for me in his shop. He will begin the install at the end of March and wrap it up in late April.

THAT'S RIGHT, BOYS AND GIRLS, I AM FINALLY GETTING MY DIESEL TOYOTA!!! 4WD, Leather, rear locker, sunroof, Automatic, grill guard, tow package, and Turbo Diesel!!!
    :bananadance:

14. Feb 24, 2008 at 1:48 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    so does this mean that Mark is leaving TW???

15. Feb 24, 2008 at 2:08 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    For now I still have the Tacoma...

...do you guys want me to leave once the Tacoma is gone?

16. Feb 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I for one vote no to that, I mean hell, Banshee is still here with an FJ, and you are still the resident expert on all things diesel, and have made huge positive contributions to the site.

I say you stay.

17. Feb 24, 2008 at 2:13 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    LOL, no!

That's cool. Don't have the vehicle you want? BUILD IT! Wish I could afford to do it.

18. Feb 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    That's the funny thing. After all is said and done, this will only cost me $20,000!!!

I can't even buy a Jetta TDI for that kind of money! Needless to say the Jetta can't do have the stuff the 4Runner can.

:cool:

19. Feb 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I like it here too!

20. Feb 24, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    eh..... one less texan on board.... ;) :laugh:

Although I'm curious how much the conversion will cost, and what the specs will be later: hp, mpg, etc. Maybe a little jealous too. All that's left is to start making biodiesel in the back yard! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top