1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my Radio upgrade saga

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoSupremeo, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Mar 14, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    TacoSupremeo

TacoSupremeo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    no cap, im not saying a capacitor wouldnt help, but as right now, im getting by pretty good.

the HU only mirrors the phone, so you can follow the maps on the HU screen, but you will have to control it from the phone since the HU is mirror only.

from what ive found so far, it takes an add on device from Idatalink.com but i will update as i figure things out. sorry its taking so long, ive been on the road working, Kansas City today, Iowa tomorrow, southern Cali next week...

yeah, i know its taking some time. the stockers are leaving me wanting more. need to get them ordered, im still trying to find some front tweeter grills that i can integrate in the rear doors... i want components in the rear too, but i want it to match the front.

2. Mar 15, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    TacoSupremeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    so i had a little time today, ended up stopped in at Best Buy and picked up the XM radio SVX300V1 and added that feature, not bad for $49. i also checked on the steering wheel interface, the guy there sold me the idatalink "universal" kit, the kit directed me to their website for instructions, when i entered the tacoma info it suggested a different kit(s) , im not cutting wires on my truck so i returned this one. im still wrapping my head around the price for the correct setup that shouldnt require cutting wires... i dont think i can justify this just to retain steering wheel controls.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-iDATALI...ash=item2810980f75:g:u7gAAOSwVyRXTxB4&vxp=mtr

Edit: just found this, I might see if I can scavenge the plug from my old radio to make it plug n play.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/152160330586

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Mar 20, 2017 at 9:48 AM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    good thread...I'm doing this. thx

4. Mar 20, 2017 at 11:10 AM
    Justanotherhemi

Justanotherhemi Space Cowboy/Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick James
    Area 52 (because area 51 was full)
    Vehicle:
    Intelligent Life Exists
    Subd for future mod

5. Mar 20, 2017 at 11:20 AM
    TacoSupremeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    The steering wheel control was delivered, im expecting the front speakers and supporting parts to arrive this week, i will be back from a work trip to California Thursday, so I might have some good updates later this week.

6. Mar 25, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    TacoSupremeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Update: everything finally arrived for the front step speaker replacement. First, i an SHOCKED at how crappy the factory door speakers are, the magnet on the factory tweeter was larger than the one on the woofer. Here is a comparison of the stock woofers to the MB Quart replacements.
    IMG_3484.jpg IMG_3483.jpg

7. Mar 25, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    TacoSupremeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    I ended up having to remove some material from the adapters for the woofers to seat and fit properly using a dremel with a sandpaper roll, but all in all it worked out well. Basically removed those tabs and about another 1/8" around the circle.
    IMG_3485.jpg

I also used some foam baffles to protect the speaker from the elements and ended up with pods to install like this.
    IMG_3486.jpg IMG_3487.jpg

8. Mar 25, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    TacoSupremeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    I know I am a little anal about a lot of the stuff I do, friends make fun of me all the time, but I got a little ghetto with my tweeter install, I wanted simple so one zip tie each did the trick. Lol!
    IMG_3494.jpg
    As you can see, I found a place behind the door panel where there was room for the crossover, so I basically made some slits in the plastic barrier and touted the wires thru the slits which hold the crossover in place.
    I found that the stock harness went to the tweeters first and there was a connection in the tweeter harness that fed to the woofer below, so I basically clipped off the lead the went to the old tweeter just past the shrink wrap and taped it off, then below at the wire going to the woofer I plugged in my wire adapters and routed the wires to the crossover, then from the other side to the new woofer and tweeter. IMG_3491.jpgIMG_3492.jpg
    And the completed install...
    IMG_3496.jpg

9. Mar 29, 2017 at 11:01 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    FYI, the old tweeters make great mounting points for the new tweeters. basically just need to remove all teh tweeter material from the bracket and mount the new tweeter to the bracket.

TacoSupremeo[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top