1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My rear leaf TSB experience (2010 4dr Longbed TRD Sport)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaredpa28, May 21, 2010.

1. Jun 1, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    jaredpa28

jaredpa28 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jared
    longmont, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    1.Weathertec front and rear 2.Front windows tinted to match. (23%)? 3. Rear TSB 4. TOYTEC coil overs up front and Bilstein 5100's front and rear. 5. Sway bar relocate 6.Front diff drop kit 7. Skid plate drop kit 8.Light Racing UCA's 9. 265/70/17 Cooper Discoverer STT 10. backup camera mod. 11. wildernest 12. "yellow wire" mod
    from what i've read the canadian trucks are getting the 4 leaf pack done at the factory. if you have 3 leafs then i would say so.

2. Jun 2, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    sidewinder

sidewinder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brighton, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Westin oval tube steps, KC light bar, 4 Slimlites, Xpel lens protectors, RedLine QuickLift
    Ok, I got my truck back this afternoon. I took before and after pix but I can't find my damn usb cable to download the pix from the camera to the 'puter. And I'm about ready to take off for my two week Air Force annual tour so it's going to be a while before I can get them posted.

Initial measurements show about 1 3/4 inch rise in the rear. When I first got in the truck it felt taller. It felt like it had a "leaning forward" stance to it that felt so totally right. Maybe somebody adjust the seatback? No, felt it in the bottom seatcushion too. I like the stance. Remember, I have a topper on it, this TSB probably returns me to what you guys see as stock.

Pulling out of the parking lot I felt "Solid". These springs rock. I can't believe I've been riding around on those soft spongey POS's for 34 thousand miles. I can't wait to get it up to Johnny Park Road in the Big Elk Meadows. Nice trails up there.

If you haven't got this service procedure done, GO DO IT. Hands down 100% improvement. This is what a Tacoma should ride like. I love my truck again.

I had the service done at Boulder Toyota. They gave me no hassle whatsoever. Dale, in charge of the Red team there is a champ. He gets it. I had an appt for today to have the truck looked at, he called me earlier this morning and said they had the parts in stock and would have the truck done in the afternoon. I was so totally ready to joust with him over the urgency of this procedure but he was prepared and totally pulled the rug out from under my feet. This is the first time I've ever had a good experience at any stealership, in fact, I'll call them a dealership and seriously look at buying my wife's 4runner from them. The receipt was for $1661, all charged to Toyota. My alignment was crap and they fixed it as part of this procedure.

So, in the end and bottom line - Get it done, get it done at Boulder Toyota, and ask for Dale personally.

I'll get pix uploaded one of these days :p

3. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:43 AM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    I tried but haven't really pushed the issue yet but when I bought my 2010 I had mentioned something about the tab and they told me I needed "proof" first. Basically they wanted me to load up the truck and show em'. Well I never had more then say 200lbs in the bed during the winter months for some weight cause I still had the crappy factory tires. Anyways I went over a rather large dip and heard a bang in the rear. That's the only time I've bottomed out. I checked my frame and there are two square marks from where the bump stops are. Now those aren't there normally correct?so since my dealer was a dick when I tried to get my tranny reflashed I thought I'd email Toyota and let them know that I felt it wasn't right that I had to freaking go to say lowes and load my tuck up with weight just to prove my issue. It took them like 3 months to get back to me but even Toyota said that I have to weigh it down. My question is shouldn't those two square marks be enough indication?

4. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    They made me proof the issue too. Bull if you ask me. I bought 15 bags of quickrete mix (80lb bags) and went up there. They still didn't want to do it, but I basically said I wasn't going anywhere until I got the 4 leafs that Canadian trucks get straight out of the factory.
    I got them to agree, and I went back to Lowes to return the quickrete.

Note to self: never do that again; I could hardly move the next day from moving 2400lb of quickrete mix in 2 hours lol.

5. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    ^ yep that's exactly what they told me to do, load it up at lowes (which is down the street) and then return the stuff. Personally I don't think I'm gunna bother. I have a toytec ulk with the 2" aal sitting in my storage to be thrown on and eventually when I get my larger camper I'm gunna buy some OME leaf packs probably. I'm sure those would be much better then the factory leafs anyways.

6. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    Andy2010

Andy2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Bucks County, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport Mag Grey 4x4
    EGR inline vent visors, Trimmed front mud flaps, Hose clamp mod, AFE Pro-Dry S air filter, Bed mat off my '97, 5100's up front @1.75, Rear TSB, Tow package, Black TRD center caps, Weathertech Digitals, Wet Okole's in front
    I had originally gone to the dealer i bought the truck from to get the TSB done, they said I needed to load it up. I wasn't too happy about that, so I called the 1-800 number and they gave me a reference number. So I called another dealership closer to me and explained that i have a reference number from Toyota and would like to have the TSB done. The service lady on the phone was nice, put me on hold for two minutes. She came back and said that I would need to bring it in so that one of the techs could match the part numbers up. So, 5:30 today and hopefully it gets approved:eek:

7. Jun 3, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    madisonsfinest

madisonsfinest Addicted to my DSLR

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC OffRoad 4x4 Debaged
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    I schedueled an appointment with the dealer here for my truck bottoming out on me 3 times, and twice without anything in the back. When I arrived I had the TSB printed out on the drivers seat. They went to move my truck, saw the TSB, and checked to see if they had the parts in stock. They did, and had it done in about two hours. They never drove it, or looked underneath it. The ride is much nicer, and it doesn't jump when riding over rough road. Much better imho.

8. Jun 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    MAtrdguy

MAtrdguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Western Ma ( on the lake) / Danvers N Shore
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco DC LB
    None YET
    Wish that was the case with me...I took it to a dealer Ira Toyota in Danvers MA) they returded it w/o doing anything..they said they drove it ( empty ) and there was no problem. I told him bout the TSB and he said that it was VIN specific, then told me it was a little small piece of plastic and it wasnt any big deal.

Does anyone have pics of the leaf springs AFTER it was done ..I want to compare it to what I have in there now.

Thanks

9. Jun 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I have pics of the height difference in my gallery. I gained 1.75"

Wait, I misunderstood your question. Look underneath. If you have 4 springs in stead of 3, you have the TSB already done.

10. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    sidewinder

sidewinder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brighton, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Westin oval tube steps, KC light bar, 4 Slimlites, Xpel lens protectors, RedLine QuickLift
    I have pix of the new springs, maybe tonight I'll get a chance to rip my office apart and find that USB cable.

From all the stories it appears to me to be luck of the draw almost. Depends on who you talk to at the dealership. I guess I was lucky and didn't have to load it up, I never even looked at my bumpstops. How about putting a small glob of axle grease on the bump stop and articulating the axle over some curbs and bumps, get that grease to imprint. Jump on the tailgate while on a rock to get it real good. If anyone asks why there's grease there, I dunno, damn thing was squeaky as hell and that quieted it down.

Find that TSB and read it. I'm not smart enough to include links here on the forum but search TW for 0305-08 and find it. Some of the links are crap, the right link will take you right to the TSB with no BS. Read it, know whats involved with your truck. TRD's are different from non-TRD's, and different model years get different stuff. It's easy enough to decypher though, if my hard head can figure it out, so can you.

I had the TSB printed out and laying on the front seat with a handwritten note. I told them that it was harsh and squirely under my typical camping load, and that my wife felt it was unsafe at that load and refused to drive it. (Toyota can't have people driving vehicles they feel are unsafe, not being in the spotlight as they are). I wrote that I paid good money for a truck that I felt would have no isssues getting me to and from my camping spots and that the truck was worthless to me if my wife refused to drive it. All true btw. She hasn't driven it yet because she has a herniated disk and can't get off the couch, but that's another story.... I had taken a highlighter to the sections that applied to my truck so there would be no guessing.

Also, if you're able to, vote with your wallet. In an earlier post I spoke of how Stapp Toyota started out with their "Bring it in so we can look at it" BS. I spent about two minutes on the phone with Clint and I called Boulder Toyota. Dale was much more agreeable. Point being, if you don't like dad's answer, ask mom. Let them know you're not really interested in aguing over an issue that is corrected by a TSB that's been out for give or take five years, you just want it fixed.

Above all else, keep calm and stay professional. A hot head gets you nowhere.

Hope that helps!

E

11. Jun 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    Andy2010

Andy2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Bucks County, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport Mag Grey 4x4
    EGR inline vent visors, Trimmed front mud flaps, Hose clamp mod, AFE Pro-Dry S air filter, Bed mat off my '97, 5100's up front @1.75, Rear TSB, Tow package, Black TRD center caps, Weathertech Digitals, Wet Okole's in front
    So I went to the dealer at 5:30 today (see earlier post) and they approved my TSB. Sweet! Ihave to admit that I didn't have any marks on frame from the bumpstops, so I took a pencil erasure and made a fake mark right above the bumpstops. Don't know if they even saw it or not, but at least they are ordering the parts.

12. Jun 4, 2010 at 4:46 AM
    MAtrdguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco DC LB
    None YET
    Yeah, mine is out of the 36mo warranty. I have 53K on the truck..that is what they are saying !!!!

MAy trade my week old truck for another one...I'm pissed !!

13. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just by an AAL for $100 and the problem will be solved.

14. Jun 5, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    MAtrdguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco DC LB
    None YET
    Well, I posted here about my experience with Ira Toyota in Danvers Ma. Here is an update.

I spoke with the Service mgr there and she told me that she would see what needed to get done and call me back ( we'll see if she calls back)

In the mean time I went to Balise Toyota in West Springfield MA i spoke with them about what was wrong and gave them the TSB #. The Service advisor I say there was VERY professional!!! He told me it would be tested and he would let me know. He came back with the Tech who drove the truck they explained everything and set up a time for this week to drop the truck off and get it done. They set me up in a rental and got the parts on order.

Balise Toyota in West Springfield MA is VERY proffesional, service area is IMMACULATE and the customer service is 2nd to none ( none that I have dealt with...no matter what brand dealer they were. They are GREAT!!

Im gona go back there to get my wifes new Highlander. They were great !!!

I would definetlly stay away from Ira In Massacusettes....Although I have used them several times ( when I had my Tundra) I will NEVER go back there...and will advise anyone whe has a Toyota to stay away too....go try another local dealer..dont wast your time there.

GREAT job Balise !! You have my bussiness !!!

15. Jun 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    So this tsb for the leafsprings are free

16. Jun 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    If you are under warranty, yes.

17. Jun 6, 2010 at 12:42 AM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    Sweet I'm doing it

18. Jun 6, 2010 at 3:37 AM
    ianc

ianc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    Good to know about IRA. I am going to try neto get it do I had 800 lbs of wood pellets in the truck and it bottomed out a few times the steering got light like the wheels came up. A safetyt issue if you can't steer. I have problem with the truck now and I have an appointment tomorrow.

19. Jun 7, 2010 at 4:01 AM
    MAtrdguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco DC LB
    None YET
    Good , I would get that done...I will TOTALLY stay away from Ira ( at least in Danvers Ma location) what bothers me is that I have been really loyal to them in the past even AFTER I brought my truck into the body shop for work and they backed it into a tree AFTER they fixed it yes AFTER ( it was a sapling but a tree non the less) and left the bed uncovered during a couple rain storms )...

PISS poor customer service and loyalty ( they offered me a free car wash )

I would get the TSB printed and where ever you go give them the TSB # as a reference....much simpler.

20. Jun 7, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    ianc

ianc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    I was there today dealing with software issues with my 2010. The aholes wasted 1 hr of my day. Turned around and tried to blame the issue on 1. brake pedal and accelarator being to close. 2. designed intent of the system with the problem, 3 If the other 2010 that you drove is doing than it's normal. After telling the manager (something COON) he was an idiot and he was wrong, he back pedaled and gave me his buisness card and wanted to be part of the solution now. I told him I would dealing with his boss becuse he didn't believe the customer. He reproduced the uncontrolled accelaratrion insident 2 out 10 times in the parking lot with me in the car. He was suprised that it happened. Typical IRA manager. You are absolutly right in saying IRA danvers toyota is horrible. I am dealing with Cooperate now. It has been escalated to engineering. IRA stands for IDIOT RETARD AHOLE.

Products Discussed in

To Top