1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Sirius dying a slow death?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by squad314, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Jul 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    squad314

squad314 [OP] Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    I have an original Starmate that I got for Christmas in '05.It was originally installed in my Avalanche and I had it re-installed in my '07 Tacoma.It's hard power wired and I guess this makes it about 3 and a half years old.About 6 months ago the display began flashing bright to dim and I noticed that the reception was getting spottier.Lately,it shows "acquiring signal" on startup for sometimes ten minutes......I have a feeling that she's going South and it's time for a new one.That in itself is no biggie because the units are pretty cheap.The pain in the rear comes from the install......Are the newer models compatible with my power cord and antennae,that is,can I just plug in the new one and activate it,or will I need a new install?

Another thought is that possibly the antennae is not working properly.....Anyone know how long these things typically last-either the units or antennae?

Thanks

2. Jul 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I have has two sirius antennas go bad on me...doing the same thing yours did "aquiring signal"

If the antenna is OK, you should be good to go to re use that. As far as the power cord, I have seen a couple different models, but if it is hard wired, you should be able to adapt the new cord to your hard wire very easily...the hard part is already done.

3. Jul 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    squad314

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    Thanks hendooman,I wondered the same thing about the power....My thought was that the end plug just may need to be changed.Any suggestions as to how I find out where the problem lay?

4. Jul 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    "aquiring signal" = bad antenna. I had mine replaced about 3 months ago for around $45.00. The shop said they only have about a 3 or 4 year lifespan.

5. Jul 13, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    squad314

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    Thanks OTG!

6. Jul 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    You can buy just an antenna, but if that is not the problem then you are stuck with the antenna. With the lights dimming and what not, I would go ahead and replace the whole thing. You will have to sooner than later anyway. This way if the antenna is good you won't have to change that part at least! They are super cheap now as you said, ebay has tons of them for good deals.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jul 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    power requirements vary from model to model. Most are either 5v or 6v. So you just have to check to see what you got now and what the new one needs. If it's the same, you should be able to reuse the power cord. But, why do that if you are getting a whole new set up? Just install all the new stuff and be done with it.

8. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Go hear and do some research. See if it's a common problem:

http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/sirius-backstage/

I had a Sirius Replay that was acting up and was out of warranty, but because it was a well documented manufacturing problem they took care of it and sent me a refurb radio at no charge.

9. Jul 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM
    CoreyJ

CoreyJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laurel, MS
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I replace 6-7 Siruis antenna's a week it seems for customers. Those things suck horribly bad and are half the reason I havn't gotten satellite radio myself yet.

But if you change out to a new unit, you will have to re-run your power as well as the new ones run on 5 volts and the older ones were 12 volt.

10. Jul 14, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    Krp2nite

Krp2nite Well-Known Member

Member:
    But if you change out to a new unit, you will have to re-run your power as well as the new ones run on 5 volts and the older ones were 12 volt

what he said.........Its your antenna though for the aquiring signal problem

11. Jul 14, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    ive changed cradles and antennas like 100 times on my sportser reply unit.i gave up and canceled it.

Products Discussed in

To Top