1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My slant on the Fogs on mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AZFizik, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Feb 11, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Okie dokey....

To be honest, I've never looked at PT mod, I came across this one first and liked the setup.:D

2. Feb 11, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    this one should work fine too.....I had found pt's mod first, so I did it...:D

3. Feb 23, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I have halo lights so how would I do it since I don't have marker lights? Does that even matter actually?

4. Feb 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    AZFizik

AZFizik [OP] Slowpokeologist

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    TRD Catback & CAI, Fogs only, Recovered Armrests, BFG AT's
    Unless you pulled out the light wires completely, halos change nothing. And if you did pull out the wires, you should be sharp enough to find a usable signal elsewhere.

5. Feb 24, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    No I didn't have to pull any wiring. It was plug and play.

6. Mar 31, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    So, with pt's way, you can turn on your fogs without having the markers on? Do they still come on when the hi-beams are on, too?

7. Mar 31, 2009 at 1:44 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    yes and yes

8. Mar 31, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    Sweet! Thanks!

9. Mar 31, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    you're welcome:D

10. Apr 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Finally got around to doing this today. I wound up drilling a small hole out of my fuse box, as I couldn't fish the wire through the bottom, but other than that, it was easy to do. Thanks for the write up AZFizik! :thumbsup:

11. Apr 11, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    AZFizik

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    I'm glad you like the mod, after all the time I've had it in my truck now, I really do like having just the fogs on when I want. I like options :D

12. Jun 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    I finally did the J/B 2A pin 21 to pin 13 fogs only mod today and it works great on my '09. Fogs work totally independant of the other lights with the factory button and go off when the ignition is turned off just like the headlights. Hardest part was getting the fuse box apart and then getting junction box 2A out. Had to take the battery out for better access. Best part is it's totally free and no visual modification to the fuse box. Now if I can just get a light on the dash that tells me when the fogs are on. Can't believe Toyota didn't have a light up button or indicator in the instrument panel like the headlights.

13. Jun 26, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    OK, I was just sitting in my office looking out in the parking lot when my fogs flashed on/off. I just did the J/B 2A pin 21 to 13 fog light mod about a week ago. The fog button was left on, headlights off and the truck turned off about 30 minutes ago. Is this a similar situation to the 4 hr flash with one of the other versions of the fog light mod? Is this going to be an electrical issue down the road? What would cause them to flash once? Now I wonder if it's a one time flash after the truck is turned off or if it's going to be doing that every half hour. I guess maybe if I just remember to hit the button off before turning the truck off it won't do that. Any insights?

14. Jun 26, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    AZFizik

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    That is exactly why I did this mod versus the pin style. The fogs coming on was an understood side effect of the pin style. But if you did it that way, I guess you must have understood that before starting the project.

If you leave your fog switch in the off position, it will disable them when the truck does its check.

15. Jun 26, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Actually, no I did not know that. I knew there was a method that made them come on after 4 hrs but I thought this way avoided that. It's all good. No problem, I'll just make sure to turn the button off. I usually turn the headlights off too anyway. Plus, it doesn't harm anything to have them flash when the truck does its check.

16. Apr 8, 2020 at 3:00 AM
    Reechkeesh

Reechkeesh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reech
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma double cab
    Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but it's great info and really nice pictures!

I'm a car-wiring idiot. I just installed after market fogs and switch. It all works as tested, when the red wire is connected directly to the batt, but as others have noted, then the switch is always "lit up" thus always hot and dreading the batt, even when truck is off. I see this thread above connects through a particular fuse. Is there an easier way to make my system hot? I've seen some that connect it to a headlight wire. If I do that, lets say to the Left low beam wire, will it overload that circuit or wire to ALSO run my cheap-ass fogs? Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top