1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my swr meter battle

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rab89, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Aug 12, 2009 at 9:47 PM
    rab89

rab89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    Hey guys, so I got a cb radio a while back, went to a shop to get it tuned, when I did, they said it was good, it wasn't!
    So I decided to buy an swr from ebay. i did so, it never showed up for a while, so I contacted the seller, they had it shipped, gave me the tracking number, and as they said, the package was sent, and it said it had arrived. well it was never here. so no i'm still without my swr and can't use the cb...
    so now, does anyone have an old swr to donate? I can't afford to buy another one, and I'm trying to get my money back from paypal but it's not looking good.

Anyways, if someone has something let me know. thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 12, 2009 at 9:55 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Well, you want to make a trip down to the Seattle area?

I've got a SWR meter and can help tune your cb.

3. Aug 12, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    rab89

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    a bit far for a cb tune lol I'm in Kelowna b.c canada

4. Aug 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    rab89

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    no one wants some rep? lol

5. Aug 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    You're a wee bit away man. Love to help and willing to meet halfway

6. Aug 13, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    What's an swr?

7. Aug 13, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    I will be up in Vancouver in mid march 2010 if you need help!! Hope u will have it done by then, though!!!

8. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    have you checked out any car stereo repair shops around? They might help, or a 4X4 shop, or an RV shop.

9. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    SWR is Standing Wave Ratio. Its a ratio of transmitted power to reflected power.
    You want all the power your radio transmits to launch off the antenna. High reflected power due to antenna mistuning or poor installiation subtracts from the transmitted power. Its not quite I am transmtting 10 watts and have 5 reflected back from a mistuned antenna so I am geting only 5 watts out but its close. Here is a copy from
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave_ratio

"The most common case for measuring and examining SWR is when installing and tuning transmitting antennas. When a transmitter is connected to an antenna by a feed line, the impedance of the antenna and feed line must match exactly for maximum energy transfer from the feed line to the antenna to be possible. The impedance of the antenna varies based on many factors including: the antenna's natural resonance at the frequency being transmitted, the antenna's height above the ground, and the size of the conductors used to construct the antenna.[1]
    When an antenna and feedline do not have matching impedances, some of the electrical energy cannot be transferred from the feedline to the antenna.[2] Energy not transferred to the antenna is reflected back towards the transmitter.[3] It is the interaction of these reflected waves with forward waves which causes standing wave patterns.[2] Reflected power has three main implications in radio transmitters: Radio Frequency (RF) energy losses increase, distortion on transmitter due to reflected power from load[2] and damage to the transmitter can occur.[4]"

A tramsitter and even a receiver likes to see a properly tuned antenna most operate at 50 ohms impedance which is an AC measurement not an ohmeter measurement. The SWR meter allow you to tune the antenna for best performance. Antennas change length according to frequency. They get shorter as frequency goes up. Some amateur radio operating frequencies the antenna size is Huge, others a paper clip will suffice. Hope this helps

Gary Fiber K8IZ

Products Discussed in

To Top