1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My thoughts on "Expensive" wax

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Sugar Silva, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Jul 16, 2015 at 2:31 PM
    300AACTaco

300AACTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black '15 DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    ARB Old Man Emu 90000s and 60091s OME 886s, Trim Packer, Icon Tubular Uniball UCAs, CMC, Invisible Sway Bar, Dakar Rear Leaf Packs, Timbren Rear Bumpstops, All Pro U-bolt flip up kit, Method Race Wheels NV 16X8 4.5BS, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16, DEPO Black Tail Lights, Weathertech Floormats, Cascadia Vehicle Tents Mt. Shasta in Earth Tone Green, Custom Green Tree Fabrication Bed Rack, N-Fab Spare Tire Bed Mount
  2. Jul 16, 2015 at 3:06 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    this goes against everything I've ever read about sealants and waxes. I've done hours of research and consulted MANY resources. I've never come across anything that recommended sealant on TOP of wax. the sealant needs to be in direct contact with the paint to do its job. will it hurt anything doing wax before sealant? probably not. but it's not the way it's typically done. and I think you'd be wasting your sealant. sealant is chemically formulated to bond with paint (not wax). I'm not an expert/pro detailer. far from it. I'm new to the game. suppose I could be wrong. but everything I've come across says sealant then wax (although a top coat of wax is not necessary).

300AACTaco likes this.
  3. Jul 16, 2015 at 3:26 PM
    Sugar Silva

Sugar Silva [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Kings Sliders TRD Rock Warrior Wheels Tint
    Personally, I don't see a benefit of doing a carnuba right after a synthetic. I've tried it and could not visibly see or feel a difference. Like I mentioned before, I will do a carnuba wax a month or two after the sealant just for fun but I don't think layering one right after the other helps much. With that said, if you want to layer them you should do the sealant first, then the wax

Auto detailer flowchart.jpg

4. Jul 16, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    I only use sealant and no wax and my paint looks great and beads water for 4 mo. or better. I just don t see the need for wax or anything else. I use auto soap to wash when it's dirty with the 2 bucket method and that's it. And my truck sits outside all the time.

NMTrailRider and Mush Mouse like this.
  5. Jul 16, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Good info. But I want to add- I was warned against the pre-wax cleansing polish/lotion/scratch remover. I was told that some of those products contain chemicals that actually soften the clear coat very briefly to level it before waxing. And if not applied correctly it can leave permanent finger marks. See link below. I'm sure they're great products when used correctly, but I didn't want to take a chance.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/20496-fingermarks.html

6. Jul 16, 2015 at 6:12 PM
    JustinL

JustinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Berlin, CT
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB Pyrite Mica
    2012 Conversion
    I figured that much. I'll keep the "what does clay bar do?!" questions to myself

7. Jul 16, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    Sugar Silva

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    I agree this is all you need to do to keep your truck looking new. Bottom line is, a sealant is a synthetic wax. Whether you use natural or synthetics you are protecting your paint. I like using carnubas in between more for fun than anything but a good sealant will last at least 4 months. The most important thing is to keep it clean and apply some kind of protectant every now and again. While it's fun to debate the "very best" methods and products for us hobbyist I'm always a little concerned a new would-be detailer will see these debates and feel discouraged or overwhelmed.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  8. Jul 16, 2015 at 6:22 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Yea you can layer a sealant. The second coat of Meguires #21 that i did made a huge difference. I'm going for three coats.

spitdog and Mush Mouse[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Jul 16, 2015 at 6:26 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    I put about 6 layers of Zaino sealant at least 3 years ago,i just tune it up with Meguires Quik detailer after every wash still beads.[​IMG]

300AACTaco likes this.
  10. Jul 17, 2015 at 7:12 AM
    AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD O/R
    I've found most sealants are initially slicker than waxes but that slickness will wear off after a few washes. Collinite might not feel as slick but it has excellent protection & will help your sealant last longer. I hit my paint & plastic trim after every wash with Optimum Car Wax. You just spray on & wipe off. It helps keep the paint slick & adds another layer of protection.

I always strip mine. I use Dawn dish soap instead of my usual car wash soap. I then clay the horizontal surfaces & tailgate of my truck. Once a year I get the buffer out & lightly polish the paint. Then I apply my sealant/wax combo.

NMTrailRider[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jul 17, 2015 at 12:39 PM
    Sugar Silva

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser

Products Discussed in