1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My turn at a new radiator

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by deckeda, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Jun 20, 2021 at 12:13 PM
    deckeda

deckeda [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Double Cab PreRunner SR5
    While doing an oil change I noted the bottom plastic tank seemed ... moist. And so I started looking at what I could see of the fins. The bottom of the fins are all wet.

And as an added bonus, I noticed the cap had begun to rust.

What's "funny" is that well over a year ago while driving at night the truck began to overheat just as we were pulling into somewhere to eat. It cooled down while we ate, we poured in the rest of our drinking water bottles and drove home without incident and it's been fine ever since.

So I'm pretty sure I caught this before the next time that happened ... between the radiator and overflow tank it consumed nearly a gallon.

I can get a Denso 2213138 for $128 from Amazon or $130 from Rockauto. I'm inclined to go with Rockauto because they don't play games with pricing like Amazon does. "Free" shipping with Prime? That's a joke.

Rockauto has a bunch of other brands I don't recognize. And their top-o-the-line is a Koyo for another $35 or so. Not sure that's worth it for an additional 6 most warranty (18 vs 12 for the Denso.) $176 at O'Reilly's.

tacorad1.jpg
    tacorad2.jpg
    tacorad3.jpg
    tacorad4.jpg

2. Jun 20, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    That rust doesn't look good, might wanna block test it too

98_3RZ_NIC likes this.
  3. Jun 20, 2021 at 12:27 PM
    Admiral Noodle

Admiral Noodle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB trd sport
    I would normally say to do a cooling system flush, but since you're replacing the rad already you might consider opening the block drains to really get all the coolant out, and refill with fresh green stuff (or toyota coolant of you want to splurge a little).

Wouldn't hurt to fill with tap water first and run it around the block a couple times, then drain and refill with good coolant, but with a clean radiator a lot of the gunk is being removed anyhow

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  4. Jun 20, 2021 at 1:18 PM
    deckeda

deckeda [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Double Cab PreRunner SR5
    Don't reckon I'll try to open any block drains on a vehicle this old. But I do like the idea of filling with just water first and then re-doing it with the mix.

I also think it's a safe bet that rust is only from the old cap. I likely ran it with too-high of a water mix since last time.

Admiral Noodle likes this.
  5. Jun 20, 2021 at 1:24 PM
    CrippledOldMan

CrippledOldMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    I just replaced mine 2 days ago. I purchased the Carquest Premium radiator from advance auto parts. I figured if there was ever a need to do a warranty replacement, I'd rather deal with a local company. The radiator fit perfect, no problems lining up the 4 mounting bolts. I also added a tru cool transmission cooler. what ever direction you decide to go with purchasing the radiator, it's not a very difficult job. If your replacing the thermostat, make sure you place the jiggle valve at the six o'clock position. I almost forgot, I received a 25% off online from advance, order online, pickup at local store.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    deckeda[OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 20, 2021 at 2:45 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    X2 with this idea,

You definitely have not been taking care of your cooling system with that much rust showing.

You definitely need to get as much rust out of your system, draining it will get most of it but there will
    be plenty in the block and in the heater core.

Maybe drain everything and refill with water a few times running it hard to get the water
    moving through before replacing the radiator.

All that rust is made up of lots off metal particles coming off the block that are flowing in the system and actually act like sandpaper going through the aluminum heads wearing the aluminum down.
    I’ve seen photos of the aluminum heads of the water jackets area actually worn completely through the heads from rust in the antifreeze.
    Went rust is this bad from neglect it’s probably impossible to get it cleaned.

I would say from here forward flush your system every year and expect or replace the radiator again at sometpoint because of the amount of rust that will continue grow and to haunt your system.
    Rust never sleeps and doesn’t just disappear once it’s set in

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Wyoming09 and Nessal like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top