1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mystery Vibration solved!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by anvilmanco, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    anvilmanco

anvilmanco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport -Stock
    For a few months, now, I've had a Rattle / Vibration from up front when I start the Taco and then back up. After it warms up a bit, it usually went away. I was poking around here on the forum the other day and found a thread that sent me in the right direction. ( I'll be damned if I can find that thread here again) So, I'll just post what I did and hope it helps someone else.

I disconnected the Cold Air Intake Fitting & Hose from the Fender and the Air Breather / Filter housing on top the engine. The Foam around the Fender-Fitting had deformed and slipped away from the hole in the Fender. ( The thread I found had indicated there might be a shiny spot where it was banging against the metal, but I didn't find one) Anyway, I removed all of the old foam and glue and then re-constructed a Foam Seal from some of the 1/2 Pipe Insulaton Split Foam that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. These sticks of Foam have a split with sticky tape in place for resealing around the pipe. I had a couple feet of this left, so I split a short piece longways, and wrapped it around the Air Intake Fitting using the Sticky part to adhere it, then Zip-Tied it in place to hold it.
    I need to mention that I wrapped the 1/2 pc of Foam around in such a way that it "pointed" away from the Fender. In other words, the sticky endge went down in the groove on the fitting and then sorta curved up and over the plastic pipe.

I then re-installed the whole thing while pressing the Foam up against the Fender, then bolted it in place. Re-attached the hose to the housing on top the engine and tightened the clamp.

I wish I had taken a picture of the hard plastic piece that goes into the Fender, but I just didn't think of it at the time.

SO FAR SO GOOD.... NO MORE RATTLES! See the pictures and I hope this helps. THANKS to the FORUM for such great help.

EKW

Foam used.jpg
    Wrapped 1.jpg
    Wrapped 2.jpg
    Installed 1.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top