1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Navigation Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by surfsupl, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jan 17, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I'm looking to insatll a navigation system in my truck this month. I want to get rid of the stock stereo and put a nav. unit back in its place. Have any of you out their done this? If so, what brand did you get and what do you like about it? Also when you purchased your nav. unit did it come with a compadible wiring harness or was that an additional cost?
    Thanks!

2. Jan 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    I used the Pioneer Avic z1 system. There are detailed instructions in this forum as far as installation. If you use the real time traffic, you will have to purchase the correct xm navigation unit, which is separate from the radio. Otherwise, the standard xm unit will work with the nav but with less features available. This radio has a 7" motorized screen that does not block the vents above the radio opening. There are other units just as reliable, but some of their screens, when opened do block the vents. Just look for threads in this forum related to your questions.

As far as the wiring harness, there are adaptors that give you the plug n play feature without cutting wires. One note here, you will have to hook into the speed sensor, back up light wire, and the parking brake, depending on which unit you install. Again, you will find pics of this in the forum which make the installation quite easy. You will also have to purchase a new face plate available on ebay and electronic stores like best buy and circuit city.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jan 17, 2008 at 8:15 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i bought a pioneer N1 last year. U can get the dash kit numerous places...same w/ the wiring harness. i think i got my dash kit and harness from cardomain

Products Discussed in

To Top