1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a Few Answers From Experienced Owners/Drivers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by History, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    I have a 2012 DC 4x4 V6 (manual trans). Generally get around 14mpg driving around town, 17-18 on the highway if I can keep it in 6th. I could go on about the 6 speed manual transmission could be geared better to get better highway mileage, but that's a different topic. To me, the gas mileage of this truck isn't great, and certainly not a selling point of it...but it's not horrible either.

FWIW, I owned an '86 pickup (4 cylinder) and loved it.

Regarding the question about "why not just go full size?"...For me, it's not just a matter of gas mileage. I live in an urban area and have to drive downtown quite a bit for work, and having a smaller truck makes things SO much easier in terms or parking and maneuvering. Parallel parking, small parking spots and parking garages with ridiculously low clearances are prime reasons why I wanted a Tacoma vs. a full-sized pickup. For the same reason, if I lived in a more rural area and/or had to haul large loads more frequently, then I'd get the full sized even if gas mileage was considerably worse.

Overall, this is my 4th Toyota truck, and I'm quite happy with it. As others have mentioned, I'd test drive a few. The 4 cylinder engines are better now than they were in the 80's in terms of power, but for me I really liked the V6 better.

To Top