1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need a quick answer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Xewkija631, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Dec 26, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    Xewkija631

Xewkija631 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    LI,NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK DC TRD OFF ROAD
    Were expecting a bit of snow and just had a quick question; what is the best thing to use to help people such as my friends that have smaller cars with front wheel drive get out of the snow when their stuck? recovery strap? tow strap? I'm looking to go to sears really quick and getting something.

Thank You

2. Dec 26, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    Johnny M50

Johnny M50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma, V6 Sport 4x4,debadged, Super White
    K&N "warm" air intake
    I use one of those yellow straps when its not too deep or stuck. They have that bit of elastic properties to snap the vehicles out. when vehicles are in real deep, I use a 20 ft length of chain, just ease the slack out and be on pavement, make sure the other driver just uses the steering, and not the throttle at all, but keep the stuck one in drive or reverse. I've pulled a Suburban out of a ditch that way.

3. Dec 26, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    Living in MinneSnowta I have lots of experience pulling stuck cars over the years.

Recovery straps (snatch-em straps) come in different lengths and widths. I've never been a fan of using chains and hooks. I just don't trust the hooks will stay in place.

Many cars don't have a place where you can easily attach a strap.

You don't want to wrap your recovery strap around a frame or metal with a sharp edge. Many cars don't have the room even if you wanted to. You may need a "sacrificial" nylon strap to wrap around frame or unibody member and then use a clevis to attach that to your recovery strap. Don't just hook to the bumper, you'll rip it off.

I picked up a tow ring that fits in the receiver because the Tacos don't have a good place to attach a strap on the rear of the truck.

4. Dec 26, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    try not to use a chain.i've seen the end result of one breaking and it can cause serious injury to the partys involved.always use a tow strap.

Products Discussed in

To Top