1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice. Neighbor's dogs constant barking

Discussion in 'Pets' started by BRUIN8124, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Can I feed you some anthrax so you stop barking bullshit?

2. May 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Didn't read past the OP, so forgive me if this has been stated.

But I had a similar problem, tried talking to the neighbors about it first, they did nothing.

I like their dog, it's friendly to me through/over the fence but they put it outside at around 5:30am and it just barks (well, used to).

So I bought one of those "bark stopper" speaker things that emits a noise/frequency that only dogs can hear, mounted to a tree in my yard and pointed it at their yard.

Whenever the dog barks, it would stop instantly and ask to go back in the house.

The dog eventually learned and does not bark anymore.

Sucks I had to pay to discipline their dog, but it was obviously annoying me more than them

3. May 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Haha wtf, calm the fuck down dudes, you love dogs, I get it. I'm not trying to harm any dogs, I'm sharing a one time solution to a one time situation. I apologize for my input.

4. May 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you have the patience, something like this would be the best solution. Sucks that you'd have to train their dogs, but it could be done with some patience.

5. May 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Im not trying to harm any people, I'm just sharing a one time solution to a long time situation. :D

6. May 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    :laugh:

7. May 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    First, discuss the problem with the noisy neighbors. Write down dates, times, and roughly what was said (to ensure your story remains consistent). Always develop an evidence trail by documenting (dates, times, etc) your relevant actions and that of the neighbors and their dogs.

If possible, audio record or video tape the barking dogs, including a recognizable, common, noise (passing cars, etc) for comparison. Next, provide the neighbors with a copy of any local noise ordinance (so they can't claim ignorance). Finally, follow up with several police reports (get a copy).

If you're renting, ask your "landlord" to do something about the noise. A renter is legally entiled to the "quiet enjoyment" of the property. If the "landlord" fails to take action, you may have legal recourse, including termination of the lease or rental contract.

If you cannot, or would rather not, move, file a private nuisance lawsuit against the noisy neighbors. The court can force the owner(s) to stop the noise, including finding a new home for the dogs. Small claims court is another option if you can't afford a lawyer and are only seeking monetary damages (check local ordinances, or ask a lawyer, about proper monetary damages related to nuisance lawsuits).

If one lawsuit doesn't work, continue filing lawsuits on a regular basis (every few months) until the noisy neighbors wise up (or go bankrupt).

8. May 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    my dog ate a whole pound of chocolate, and it completely fine :notsure: i heard that chocolate is poisonous to pups as well

9. May 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    How big of a dog? It can be fatal to dogs but larger breeds tend to not be as affected. It's not like an instant or gauranteed thing that if a dog eats an onion or chocolate that they're going to die. Some just get sick, some may not feel the affects at all. Sadly, some do die from it.

10. May 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM
    wrxRome

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    medium size, last we weighed him he was like 40lbs (around there, cant remember)

11. May 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Luck might have a lot to do with it also. Here's some info on it if you're interested in why chocolate is bad for dogs. Most of the info sounds similar to what my vet told me.

It turns out that, for dogs, a chemical in chocolate called theobromine is the source of the problem. Theobromine is similar to caffeine. According to this page, theobromine is toxic to a dog when it ingests between 100 and 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.
    Different types of chocolate contain different amounts of theobromine: It would take 20 ounces of milk chocolate to kill a 20-pound dog, but only 2 ounces of baker's chocolate or 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate. It is not that hard for a dog to get into something like an Easter basket full of chocolate eggs and bunnies and gobble up a pound or two of chocolate. If the dog is small, that could be deadly.
    It turns out that chocolate poisoning is actually not as unusual as it sounds. For a human being, caffeine is toxic at levels of 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight (see this page). That's the same as for dogs! Humans generally weigh a lot more than dogs, but small children can get into trouble with caffeine or chocolate if they consume too much of it. Infants are especially vulnerable because they don't eliminate caffeine from the bloodstream nearly as quickly as adults.

12. May 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    wrxRome

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    thats exactly what he did, lol he ate a 1lb choc. bunny :D foil and all

13. May 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The foil could be the wost of it. zinc poisoning. That is why pennies can be deadly to dogs. They are a majoity zinc anyomre and will dissolve and kill a dog if ingested.

14. May 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    How about putting one of those pneumatic things that sound like gunshots to keep deer out of crops in your backyard with the sound pointed towards the offending neighbor's house to counter the constant barking and just wear ear plugs to sleep at night?

.....dammit, some smartass is just gonna say wear the ear plugs for the barking. But where is the fun in that?

15. May 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    We had a dog problem before we moved, they were feral dogs, and we didn't want them near our property, we lived out in the country and we solved it in a day or 2. I don't know how much trouble you can get in with a neighbors dog

before anyone starts screaming about this, these dogs were mean, and needed to be gotten rid of, we did not kill them though

we used one of these, only took one shot on each and they never came near our house again.
    [​IMG]

We also used a cheap Red Ryder BB gun before that, just bounced off of them, but got their attention enough to get them to leave.

I would never do this to a dog just because, I must have a reason and it has to be a damn good one. Animal control would have been a lot slower, which is why we did it like this.

16. May 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    Trachito

Trachito Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    +1 you guys seriously need to chill out. although i don't agree with poisoning it, an uncontrolled dog is still a nuisance animal.

i don't see how people make up excuses for uncontrolled and even violent dogs but are willing to snap the neck of a rat or squirrel in their garden or attic.

17. May 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Foil is made of aluminum.

Videos of multiple barking events that break the law will get your problem solved. That, and persistent calls to the police.
    I like the barking speaker trick. Won't solve the drug problem though.

18. May 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    BRUIN8124

BRUIN8124 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD 4X4 OFF ROAD DCSB
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I really appreciate the you all taking time to give some feedback.

First off, I am NOT going to poison or shoot the dogs. In all honesty it had crossed my mind. In all seriousness, I could never and would never do such a thing. I get that it was a joke but I just want to make that clear.

My land-lord hs tried talking to them as well. He lives downstairs from me so he knows just how annoying it is. (Too bad he dosnt own their place nextdoor too)

When I called animal control on them before, the neighbor came over after and we had a little "altercation" that pretty much ended with him saying never to call the cops on them again and me saying get the F off my porch... So that didnt go well, especially since Animal Control didnt do a damn thing even when they cought them red handed. Maybe they got a verbal warning, I dont know... Either way, I was let down and pissed.

I am hesitant to call the cops. I know, it sounds wimpy. I just dont need them showing up to visit me or my wife again or possibly vandalizing our stuff (or my Taco). I still may call but its not like they can watch my place 24-7. Neither can I. I am looking into the specifics of noise and nuissance ordinances in Portland. I feel damned if I do, damned if I dont act on it.

I may try the speaker box thing. They are a bit pricey though and it may not even work. That is BS that I have to pay for it. Not like those deadbeats will.

It just pisses me off. I feel like either way, they win.

As for moving, our lease on this skid-mark of a street is up in September. WE ARE GONE!

19. May 8, 2012 at 12:06 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road

Hate to break it to these guys, but most dog food has onions (and garlic, a related possible pooch poison). Small amounts of these foods, i.e. food flavoring, won't harm your dog. It's probably best for them not to eat it straight up all the time, but my dog occasionally gets onions in food scraps after dinner and it's never hurt her. My mom's 3-1/2 pound poodle once grabbed an entire huge clove of garlic I dropped while I was cooking, and ate the whole thing before I could get it away from him. I called the vet to see if I should maybe give him the peroxide treatment, and she said, "Don't worry about it, he'll be fine. Also he'll be safe from vampires for a while."

So yeah, best not to give your dog onions, garlic, leeks, chives, etc. And best not to give them chocolate, as stated above. Also be careful with grapes and raisins, they aren't immediately fatal but over time some chemical in them builds up in a dog's brain and can eventually kill them. But again, my dog's gotten hold of grapes and aside from the fact that she's always been about half retarded anyway, she's fine. :D

And good on not shooting the dogs. I have only heard of one case where I really thought that was warranted, and that was when a friend had cattle being harassed by a pack of 10 Chows from next door. Neighbor said repeatedly they never left his property. He finally went out in the field, set up his game camera from hunting so he had a record of what was about to happen, and waited for the dogs. When they came over and started trying to kill one of his calves he shot and killed 7 of them (the other 3 made it to the property line before he had a chance). Then he made a copy of the video, loaded up the dogs and took them home. Dumped the dogs on the lawn, handed the guy a copy of the video and told him to call the sheriff if he wanted. Neighbor never said a word, and the other dogs never killed another calf.

20. May 8, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Like someone else said, make the landlord take care of it or you may have a reason to break your lease ahead of time and move now instead of waiting till September.

Products Discussed in

To Top