1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice: Should I replace these coils?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by KMFDM_V, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Oct 16, 2017 at 2:11 PM
    KMFDM_V

KMFDM_V [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica 2.7L 5MT 4x2 Access
    I may have tweaked a few things...
    Over the weekend I installed 3rd gen TRD OR shocks on my 09 4cyl Prerunner Access Cab. It was a thoroughly enjoyable first time experience, but I had a few twists along the way. I discovered that the Monroe shocks installed by the previous owner were actually complete Quick-Struts so the coils were not the oem coils I thought they were. I also discovered that two left side part numbers were installed rather than proper Left/Right parts.

I reached out to Monroe to find out if having two coils from their left side Quick-Strut was going to be a problem, they let me know that there is no difference between their left/right coils. I confirmed with them that the only downside should be that I may have more driver's side lean because of this. I was also given tech data on the coils so I know that they are 650lb. spring rate.

For me it appears there are no concerns with keeping these coils in place given that this truck is a DD that occasionally sees dirt via forest roads *and high clearance trails.* I chose the TRD OR shocks for the softer ride and avoided the matching springs due to the high spring rate. I've thought this through about as much as I can with my limited knowledge. Any advice from those that would know better?

Much appreciated,
    Ken

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. Oct 17, 2017 at 8:10 AM
    KMFDM_V

KMFDM_V [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica 2.7L 5MT 4x2 Access
    I may have tweaked a few things...
    Anyone know what the spring rate of the 3rd gen Sport coils is? I know the OR springs are 717lbs, but I can't find anything on the Sports.

I'm interested in the 1" lift from 3rd gen coils but I need to make sure the spring rate is a good match for the OR shocks since they are valved for a higher spring rate. I felt like the 717lb. OR coils would have been too stiff for my 4cyl Prerunner Access without a bumper on the front. But I may have to get them if/when I add a bumper/winch.

It seems like I hit a sweet spot with TRD OR shocks and the Monroe springs at 650lbs. The ride is smooth but not too loose. If I had actually done this with oem coils that have a much lower spring rate would it have been too sloppy due to the valving of the OR shocks?

Products Discussed in

To Top