1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need feed back on 2 choices Eclipse AVN726E or dnx 6140

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by polox40, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Jan 26, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    X2 to sirsaechao

My largest quirk is that the navigation doesn't even attempt to get a GPS fix until you agree to the safety conditions. In some units (my old AVIC Z3 at least), this isn't a problem since it can get a pretty accurate estimate while the GPS gets a fix of your position based from its internal inertia sensor and connection to the vehicle speed sensor. The 726E has neither of these, and relies solely on GPS for positioning.

All GPS systems have a cold start and warm start time. It takes about 60-120 seconds for the 726e to get a fix from a cold start, and >30 seconds from warm (vehicle off <15 minutes or so). This becomes cumbersome 1) when you are in an unfamiliar area and need navigation prompts as soon as you begin your trip 2) you are driving, have not passed the safety confirmation, and suddenly require navigation. Having the GPS system begin getting a fix at power-on would solve #2, no dice for #1 though. My antenna is installed under the dash, but I don't think moving it would help as once I have a position lock I have signal from all visible satellites.

Overall I am extremely happy with my 726e. Every time I looked at my AVIC Z3, all I could think was "I paid that much for this interface?!?". Seriously, it was bad. The 726e is much more user friendly and the interface much more attractive and intuitive. Browsing my 240gb ipod is a breeze, where on the AVIC scrolling to an artist in the middle of the alphabet would sometimes take longer than my commute (30 minutes!) PC-style DVD menus would be nice (just press the item you wish to select instead of the soft remote) but to my knowledge all the mobile DVD-NAV systems work that way.

Oh, and I have to say that the first time I drove in the mountains with this I was smiling ear to ear. Those 3D terrain maps are THE shit.

2. Jan 26, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Yeah I love the 3D map. My antenna is also under the dash and it does take some time for it to connect. I find that if I have it on from point A to B...shut the truck off and then go later from point B to elsewhere...the GPS connects faster...

3. Jan 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    Yea, like if you stop at a gas station on a trip the nav will be ready almost instantly.

The tradeoff for faster positioning is a more complicated device that requires a connection to the speed sensor. The AVIC requires this, the 726e does not. This makes the install simpler. honestly, unless you're a pizze delivery boy you wont NEED the nav so much that it's a problem.

if you're bored, you can read up on why that is: http://gpsinformation.net/main/warmcold.htm

4. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    jbone

jbone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    CT
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Sport Pyrite Mica
    Weathertech floor liners, Bed mat, Transmission TSB, disabled seat belt chime, Pioneer Avic- x920bt, TRD catback exhaust, Bilstein 5100s on all 4 (front @ 1.75"), Rear TSB, 17x8 pro comp 7005, 265/70/17 Duratracs, AFE Pro Dry S filter
    I'm looking into getting either the pioneer avic-z110bt or the eclipse avn-726e and I've read extensively on both units. Since you all are talking about them on here, I figured I'd ask a question that will sell me either one of the units.
    For the pioneer owners, is it true that when you disconnect your ipod and reconnect it later, it will take a long time(maybe 20+ min.) to sync the voice recognition to your tracks? And during that time, you have limited use of your ipod? I read this on cnet and was wondering if anyone ever experienced this.

5. Jan 29, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    311offroad

311offroad Stock Taco For Now

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Short Bed Debadged
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
    I have 11 gigs of music on my ipod and it takes maybe 2 minutes at the most to update the VR. (usually way less) I really have no big complaints with this unit and after hearing some of the problems with the eclipse I am VERY happy with my decision on the avic

6. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I put my girlfriends' AVN 726e in her Tiguan two days ago. Thing is freakin sweet and I haven't had much time to play with it yet. I'll be putting mine in this morning. I found the thread where someone posted the directions for wiring up the steering wheel controls to the eclipse; I'll comment if they work afterward!

7. Feb 1, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    polox40

polox40 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    TOYOTA ALUMINUM STEP BAR, 3M HOOD FILM, WEATHERTECH FLOOR MATS, 7" DD WITH BACKUP CAMERA, TRD SEAT COVERS
    Thanks guys for your comments, I'm going to pick up a unit tommorrow after all the reaserch and the fact that they are getting harder to find.

For those who installed a backup camera: is it true you HAVE TO USE A ECLIPSE CAMERA?

8. Feb 1, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Negative, it is just a composite RCA input. Although, I believe the factory camera is manufactured by eclipse or their same supplier, and will work with minor modifications.

9. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    polox40

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    TOYOTA ALUMINUM STEP BAR, 3M HOOD FILM, WEATHERTECH FLOOR MATS, 7" DD WITH BACKUP CAMERA, TRD SEAT COVERS
    was going to go get it today but then I was wondering last night:

-what about future updates for the nav?
    -if I want to add sat or hd radio in the future will the moduals still be available?

guess its a chance to take, i'll try giving eclipse a call and see.

10. Feb 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    zanodave

zanodave Well-Known Member

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue

i have been wondering same thing. i am going to buy withen the next week and i am still not sure. but i am leaning towards the avn726.

11. Feb 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    are you guys referring to the rumored demise of eclipse?

12. Feb 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    zanodave

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue
  13. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    yea, I don't know what's going on with that. I'm not too worried about map updates since I live in a very developed area and this unit will be outdated before missing roads and POI's become a serious issue. The maps are very current by comparison FWIW (my 2004 rx-8 had a map disc that was missing roads built in 2002!). I would like to see a software update to address a few quirks, but of the stuff that could be fixed with a software update if none of it happened I still think the unit outperforms anything else on the market.

I don't do satellite radio, but I'd imagine the receivers would be available on the second hand market for a long time.

14. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Eclipse IS actually closing it's doors. Their parent company, Fujitsu Ten is going to be an OEM manufacturer only. I believe support will still be available. The SAT radio stuff will be available as long as there is ebay!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    zanodave

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue
    thanks for the help. i will be ordering the avn726 in the next couple of days.

16. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    polox40

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    As of april first of this year there will be no more eclipse from what I read.

I was just at the only local guy around who has any of the avn726e and he has only a display model left, he said he couldn't get a xm satellite radio accesory 2 months ago out of eclipse and had to get one online from a a competitor for one of his clients, also was told that to use a non eclipse backup camera you needed a special connector cablethat was no longer available but was still doable with some soldering, I think I'm gonna sit on the fence with this one and wait to see what the next best thing will be, voice controls is something I would definitly like, I gonna do a bit more searching and decide within a few days, but if not for the going out of buisness deal i would have got one for sure.

17. Feb 2, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I was able to tap the steering wheel control harness for the AVN 726e. The steering wheel controls work like a charm. You actually have the ability to set them to do what you want. I made my MODE button my MUTE button because I use that more often.

18. Feb 2, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    polox40

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    still om the fence lol, i'll decide in the morning

19. Feb 3, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    polox40

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    well i bit the bullet and decided to puchase the ECLIPSE here is what i just ordered:

ONE ECLPSE AVN 726 E HEAD UNIT
    ONE ECLIPSE BEC 108 BACKUP CAMERA
    ONE IPOD AUDIO/VIDEO CABLE FOR THIS HEAD UNIT
    ONE SET ECLIPSE SC6900 COMPONANT SPEAKERS
    ONE SET ECLIPSE SP6510 POINT SOURCE SPEAKERS
    DASH KIT FOR 2008 TOYOTA TACOMA DOUBLE CAB TRD (sliver)
    WIRING HARNESS FOR FOR 2008 TOYOTA TACOMA DOUBLE CAB TRD NON JBL
    2 SET OF TEMPLATES TO MOUNT SPEAKERS IN SAME TRUCK

later on i will add amp and a sub.

20. Feb 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    for those of you with the 726e and have sat radio, can you use the factory shark fin antenna?

Products Discussed in

To Top