1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help: anyone know how to hook up a sub to a stock radio?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Camo23, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    Camo23

Camo23 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Fallbrook, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4x4
    Not much yet
    I have a 2002 tacoma prerunner and i was wondering if i could hook up a sub to the stock radio... if you know how please tell me thank you

2. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    viperfella

viperfella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    North carolina
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma trd v6
    15'' mickey tompson bullet hole rims 31.10.50 mickey tompson baja tires
    you can but it can be a bitch, 1st you need to go to walmart or best buy and look for a rca adapter it should look like a little oval or square box with wires on one end and two holes like you would see on the front of your tv on the other. then you need to get the amp instalation kit you can pick that up from walmart also its the cheapest ive found there are a couple choices but make sure you pick the one with the wattage big enough to handle you amp. once u get everything you haft to wire in the rca adapter into your speaker wire, in the amp wiring kit you have a ground wire, a power wire, and a remote wire. the ground wire of course goes to a good ground thats simple, the power wire runs to your battery, and the remote wire since u dont have an aftermarket head unit you haft to wire it in to something that comes only when the truck is on other wise you'll have a dead battery, my friend wired his into his radio fuse so you could do the same

3. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    Camo23

Camo23 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Fallbrook, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4x4
    Not much yet
    wire the rca adapter into the stock speaker wire right?

4. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    Holden02

Holden02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    '02, SR5, V6, 4X4.
    3" ToyTec Front Coilovers, 3" AllPro Leafs, 4.88 Yucon Gears, ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear, Flex-A-Lite Twin Fan, AT Oil Cooler, Safari Snorkel, 16x8 Black Crawler Rims, 305/70r16 Hankook DynaPro MT's, A-Pillar Dual Guage POD w/ Digital Volt Gauge and AT Temp Gauge, XM Radio, Can-Back Soft Top, Custom Rear Bumper, Electric Brake Box & 7-Pin trailer plug, My Custom Winch Bumper with Cheep 8500 lb. "Vortec" Winch. (we'll see how it lasts)
    The best option is to use a High-Low Converter. I think Radio Shack may have one. WalMart might. Just tap into one of your rear door speaker wire. It will run under the plastic floor piece at the door jam on the floor. I don't remember the colors of the 2 wires.

The converter will accept the + & - wires filter out the highs and leave you with the Left and Right RCA Jacks.

5. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    You could use an amplifier that has speaker level inputs. I'm not sure how this would affect your speaker impedance though. These inputs are generally not used in conjunction with a parallel wired speaker.

6. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    LuckeyTRD

LuckeyTRD rIDIN wHEELIEz!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Evans, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner ALL TERRAIN
    BHLM, Blacked out tails, window tint 5%, tinted windshield , 8000k hids hi/lo and fogs. Black side badges, debadged tailgate, camburg 1.25" uniball UCA's, Camburg 4" spindles, ext. brake lines, Fox remote resi coilovers. Fox 2.0 Pro series rear piggybacks, 3" Allpro Leaf pack, OEM roof rack, Brush guard. Custom TRD allterrain decals. UWS low profile black toolbox
    go to the audio store and buy a lo/hi converter and it will splice inot your rear postive and negatice speaker wires. and it will provide aux cable imputs

7. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    LuckeyTRD

LuckeyTRD rIDIN wHEELIEz!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Evans, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner ALL TERRAIN
    BHLM, Blacked out tails, window tint 5%, tinted windshield , 8000k hids hi/lo and fogs. Black side badges, debadged tailgate, camburg 1.25" uniball UCA's, Camburg 4" spindles, ext. brake lines, Fox remote resi coilovers. Fox 2.0 Pro series rear piggybacks, 3" Allpro Leaf pack, OEM roof rack, Brush guard. Custom TRD allterrain decals. UWS low profile black toolbox
    or what holden said. BEST OPTION

8. Jun 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke

I agree with CMACK. Do it right the first time and you will be happy.

9. Jun 8, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I have two LOC's for sale...lmk.

Products Discussed in

To Top