1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help diagnosing some strange engine behavior

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thegreatsam, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Sep 26, 2010 at 11:44 PM
    thegreatsam

thegreatsam [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    I need some help trying to figure out the source of a potential problem with my 2006 TRD OR Double Cab

A few days ago, on the way to the liquor store :)D) I noticed what I could have sworn was steam coming from under the hood. It was very, very faint. So faint that I could only see it in direct sunlight, when in the shade I saw nothing. It didn't look like 'heat waves', as there seemed to be an actual color difference (like white-ish steam). I popped the hood at the store, but there appeared to be nothing wrong. No steam or gasses rushed out from under the hood when I opened it, no hissing noise, no funky smell or odor. Everything looked normal.

Since then, I've also noticed that the center area of my windshield is fogging from the outside. It's just in the center area, pretty much directly above the radio, not over the entire windshield like normal weather sometimes does. Again, after highway driving for 20 minutes, I got out and tried to see if there was anything wrong. I didn't smell or hear anything. Apart from the windshield fogging in the same place again and again, everything appeared to be normal.

I checked the floor of my garage, and there is no trace of fluids leaking (although, this week has seen some pretty wet weather in the NW). There are also no warning indicators coming on, and my engine temp is normal. I haven't noticed any performance problems. Everything on my truck appears to be working just fine.

Don't have a clue if there's a potential issue cropping up, or if I'm just being crazy.

Any ideas?

2. Sep 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM
    ChompsterTacoma

ChompsterTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chompster
    Fresno,Ca
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad 4x4
    Bone Stock
    Not a clue. Maybe air is getting through the windshield? But I wish Washington state allow stores to sell alcohol 24/7 like here in Cali.

3. Sep 27, 2010 at 12:09 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If your A/C or defroster is on in cold weather, you can get exterior condensation.

Does the condensation or the underside of the hood feel sticky? Is your coolant level going down--or up--in the reserve tank? Have you seen any odd changes in the temp gauge while driving? Could be a leaking heater hose or a head gasket.

4. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    civictotaco

civictotaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5
    Is the AC turned on the blow on the windshield? This could cause the "fogging" you see on the window.

It may just be the moisture from under the hood...I had the same problem with an older Camry I had years ago, after it rained heavily there was water that sat under the hood, and when the engine heated it enough it looked as though the engine was smoking, but it my case it was more obvious...I had multiple people trying to wave me down at stop lights when they saw this coming from the hood of my car (one of the many reasons why I had to get rid of that car).

5. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

My Tundra does the same thing, without the AC on. If I have the temp set to cold it will do it.

6. Sep 27, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    Be very careful and keep a close eye on your coolant level. My wife's car had a very minute leak in the radiator. Not enough to see anything. When stopped it would not leak because the radiator pressure was not enought to force coolant out. The temp gauge stayed perfectly normal until she was driving home one night and her engine just quit running. Turns out all of the coolant was gone and she fried the head.

7. Sep 27, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    thegreatsam

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    I checked under the hood, and it just feels like normal (bare, rough paint). Checked the coolant in the reserve tank this morning, it's right at the "low" line. I'll fill it up and mark it just to gauge it, but that doesn't worry me, as it's probably due for a changing anyways.

Once the engine warms up, the temp gauge stays put right below the middle, no odd behavior there.

I had my friend who's a mechanic at a Toyota dealership take a look (he was helping me wire in a new head unit), and he didn't see anything obvious that was a problem. He chalked it up to the humid weather we've been having.

Here's hoping it was just an irrational fear. =P

8. Sep 27, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Hope nothing is wrong...

Great sam, what part of couv you in??? If you ever see a 2010 White TRD SPORT DCSB running around on east millplain and it has copper STT's, TRD offroad (aftermarket TRD, not stock TRD), and a mean growl from the exhaust... Thats me!!!! Hit me up some time.

9. Sep 28, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    thegreatsam

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Hehe...will do!

Products Discussed in

To Top