1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help fast!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kingston73, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Aug 9, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    It depends on how bad the leak is in the radiator. You might want to replace the coil and radiator first and then worry about the water pump later. If a water pump is going out it is not going to chirp it is going to make a loud screeching sound.

2. Aug 9, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I would think a water pump failing at 150K miles is not unusual at all. Can't advise as to whether you should replace it or not. If the mech says its ok, I'd live with it.....just my opinion.

3. Aug 9, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Yeah, I think that's probably what I'll do, just live with it for now. So what do y'all think was causing the chirping sound? Everything else makes sense, but I have no clue what that sound could have been. The coil misfiring wouldn't cause lack of oil to the cylinder, would it? I'm wondering now if I did any severe, lasting damage to that #3 cylinder. I'll have to ask the mechanic when I pick up the truck.

4. Aug 9, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    i dont know... or maybe.. you said it.. but did you take it to a toyota dealer? if so i pretty sure you are good to go to get it home

5. Aug 9, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    No, it's at a Firestone shop, my parents have used it for a while now and they seem to trust them. I'm a very non-trusting person when it comes to mechanics, but I didn't have much of a choice. I might just suck it up and pay my regular mechanic some cash to look the truck over when I get back home. I found the online shop manual, it doesn't look like too bad a job to change out the water pump if I decide to do that later.

6. Aug 9, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    That would make sense, that's what the noise sounded like. I'll probably replace both belts when I get home too, just in case the coolant caused them to glaze. I wonder if the dying coil, with less engine power, would cause the belt to slip more? The chirping sound and power loss went together.

7. Aug 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570

good... heehee... i am the same way!! i feel your pain!!! glad you got someone trustworthy.. i dont think your parents will steer you wrong!! just try to watch if you can... when they are working

8. Aug 9, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    That's what I was thinking too. Or if it's leaking and releasing even a small amount of vapor, the moisture in the engine compartment could cause a belt to chirp a bit. Probably a good idea to change the belts anyway once you get home and get a chance.:)

9. Aug 9, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    At 150K miles, if you haven't already, about time to replace all your belts anyway.

10. Aug 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    The shop put a new coil and replaced the rad/hoses/thermostat and flushed the system, but it was still running hot, so they went back and had to replace the water pump as well. Total cost looks like it'll be about 1300 total. Sucks cause I know I could have done it myself, it would have taken a lot more time but I could have saved a few hundred dollars, but all my tools are 500 miles away. The shop is a least not charging me extra labor for the water pump repair, since they took everything apart and put all the new coolant pieces back in before they figured out the water pump needed fixing too.

Products Discussed in

To Top