1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Life improvement thread

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by Oreo Cat, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:09 AM
    Oreo Cat

Oreo Cat [OP] Worst Member

Member:
    Hello all of Tacoma world. I never thought I’d make a thread like this but here it goes. I seem to have a drinking problem. For a while now I’ve been telling myself “this will be the last night I drink” but things never seem to go my way. I feel like I’m stuck in a rut in my life that I can’t seem to get out of. I just woke up not too long ago at 2 something AM in a mess of my own throw up laying on my bathroom floor. I’m a mess but I’m cleaning myself up. I’m still a little drunk as I wirite this but I don’t really have anyone else to go to. No real friends. Only my parents which i feel is a bad idea..
    I’m sure some of you recognize my name as a smart a$$ prick. If I’ve ever been rude to some of you I’m sorry.
    I’m just asking for help though. I need to change my life and stop drinking.
    I don’t know that posting this will do any good, but maybe someone will see and feel the same.

I hope all of you are well. Goodnight TW.
    24A548F3-1E65-47FD-90DA-1F064C99B02F.jpg

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here for taking the time to read and respond. I really wasn’t expecting the support and it means everything to me.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    hr206, FlyingWolfe, tcBob and 45 others like this.
  2. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:22 AM
    wrightme43

wrightme43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Scottsville Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    17 Double Cab M/T TRD Offroad Blazing Blue Pearl
    Redline custom leather shift and e-brake boot. VFTUNE Super Full Otto cycle, octane learning, premium fuel.
    Well, I know that feeling. 18 years ago I knew it inside and out. If you are a alcoholic, there is a solution. It works for almost everyone, as long as you can be honest with yourself. (Some people can't.)
    I needed the help of AA. Maybe you will too, or maybe you won't.
    Buy and read the big book of alcoholics anonymous.
    I read it thru cover to cover the first night, while drinking miller lites. I saw myself described over and over. Somehow the people that wrote it, knew my whole life. The next day a friend took me to a meeting and I haven't had a drink since. Now only you can decide if you need it. If you want sobriety, try it. Find a sponsor and do what they do. ( Don't try to find one that will be your friend, find one that has a life you want. You don't have to like each other, you are trying not to die)
    I will work, if you will.

3. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:28 AM
    wrightme43

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Scottsville Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Redline custom leather shift and e-brake boot. VFTUNE Super Full Otto cycle, octane learning, premium fuel.
    PS
    Be careful, like every organization, there are wolves. If you believe in God, pray. I didn't when I got there. My whole life and mind changed. Now I do, and that is a whole different story. All I can tell you in a short note is.
    I was miserable, and had sat down to kill myself. I followed instructions.
    I am happy and blessed. Now have a good wife, 5 girls, 1 boy, a dog, and a good job, and a good church. All of these people know, and trust me, to do exactly what I say I will do.

4. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:47 AM
    wrightme43

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Scottsville Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    "This will be the last night I drink." Is something I told myself over and over. The trick for me was to make today the day I did not drink. Sometimes just a few minutes at a time. Then it grows into days, and weeks, and months. Now I still think about it in passing, but it just fades away.

Twins09, Gamma11, Cal1630 and 13 others like this.
  5. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:48 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    I drank way to much. Wake up in jail, wondering what I did. My life is as out of control. I also needed the help of AA, I had to get away from the people I was hanging with, at the bar, everywhere, my whole life and attitude had to change. I’m not a religious person, but I made it through the first hard years, and I haven’t drank alcohol in 19.5 years. Haven’t been to jail in19.5 years. Go figure, funny how that works. If I can do it, so can you, it’s really up to you, the only person that can make you quit is you, take care of yourself, you’re worth it.

6. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:51 AM
    Sharpish

Sharpish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    You’re not alone. There are probably a thousand alcoholic members on this forum alone.

The big book from AA is a powerful tool even if you don’t attend meetings.

7. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:52 AM
    RustyGreen

RustyGreen A breaker point guy in a Bluetooth world

Member:
    sleeping in a chair
    Vehicle:
    2017 AC 4x4 Sport 6M Inferno
    Pavement Princess
    Don't beat yourself up, just because you have a problem doesn't mean you are a bad person.

Maybe waking up on the bathroom floor in a puddle of vomit was your personal low point, you did a very difficult thing by admitting your problem to us.

A journey of 100 miles starts with the first step and every step is progress toward the goal -- today is a good day to take that first step, even if it is only one step it is still progress.

8. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:54 AM
    IvanhoeTaco

IvanhoeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB 4x4 Converted Prerunner
    Total Chaos 3.5 LT, King Coilovers, 35x11.5r17 on Falcon T2, ADV 4 inch fiberglass, 4.88 gears, FJ cruiser transfer case, 4 runner front diff, Cab mount relocate, fox 12x2.0 relocated
    Wes Watson helped me. Give his podcast a try.

stealthmode, SRH, Malvolio and 9 others like this.
  9. Sep 15, 2021 at 4:29 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    You took a step writing this. Take another step. Then another. Hard shit is like that.

WE are here for you. You may get some different perspectives from the TW fandom, but in one form or another we ALL have flaws.

Maybe I can't relate to your very situation as EtOH just has little appeal to me. Getting/Being drunk or even ethyl alcohol enough to feel the effects, hold no grip on me whatsoever. That said, when I had some upper back and neck pain issues years ago, doc gave me these little pills.........well after awhile I REALLY needed that pill (or TWO) NOW. Thank God in my case it was short lived and it did not impact others (truly grateful for this). It took some strength AND some help to get that urge out of the forefront and pushed way back. I have no desire to repeat that part of life, but the little niggling just gets smaller and smaller and smaller.............

Hang tough and prayers for you brother.

10. Sep 15, 2021 at 4:37 AM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
    If you ever need to talk offline, please reach out and send me a DM. I completely understand what you are going through. My main practice is helping people with their addictions. Help is possible, change is possible, and even though it may be raining now, there are sunnier days ahead. Please Please Please do not hesitate to reach out. Doing this on your own can be difficult if not impossible. My services have always been free and confidential to all TW members. Recognizing that you need help and reaching out is the first step.

11. Sep 15, 2021 at 4:51 AM
    roundrocktom

roundrocktom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver DCLB Off Road
    Alcoholics Anonymous
    https://aa.org/

A good friend spiraled into a deep depression after his Parkinson's Diagnosis. Tried to escape with alcohol. It didn't work.

You've made the first step in recognizing there is an issue, so all the power to you.

I wish you the best.

12. Sep 15, 2021 at 5:01 AM
    CTtoNoVa

CTtoNoVa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Pop N Lock
    As cliched as it sounds, by admitting this, and on a very visible forum, you’re taking the right “first step” and that is a huge obstacle to overcome. From the above posts, while this may not be a conventional place for this type of support, it is apparent you do actually have a good relatively anonymous support network here to help you. There are a lot more suffering like you in silence, and in turn, a lot more who are there willing to help if given the chance. However, often times their plight will go unnoticed unless that first, arguably most difficult step is taken of asking for help. You’re on the first step going down the right path — keep your head up.

I wish you luck, feel free to DM as well for support.

13. Sep 15, 2021 at 5:33 AM
    LarryDangerfield

LarryDangerfield One Larry a day keeps the money away ™ Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Cement 2020 Trail Limo off-road
    Tuxmat floor mats, Bilstein 6112s and 5160s
    Many times it takes hitting rock bottom to decide change needs to happen. Any help you receive and steps you take mean nothing if you don't truly want the change to happen. I had family telling me what I was doing was unhealthy, didn't care. I didn't feel very good and was unhappy, didn't matter. Finally I had my moment where enough was enough and I wanted to change. It seems you are at that point where you do want change as well. We all have your back brother. Any time the urge for a drink is extra strong, jump on here and start a conversation with me, or any of the other guys in this thread.

14. Sep 15, 2021 at 5:40 AM
    six5crèéd

six5crèéd Go fish.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce, or Crèéd, neither is correct.
    Southern Virginia
    It is hard to stop, admitting you have a problem is the first step. You've taken that step, you can get sober. Almost 10 years for me and the first month was the hardest. Hang in there, it won't happen overnight but it does happen :fistbump:

15. Sep 15, 2021 at 5:44 AM
    gman2431

gman2431 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It takes a lot to admit your problem (especially in front of strangers) and you just completed that first step! Good Job!!! Most people never make it to this first part! Baby steps is key when trying to sober up. Set little goals and go crush them man! You can do it!

16. Sep 15, 2021 at 5:47 AM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Yeah, your not alone in your struggle. I personally don't think I could have ever quit the first time (20+years) without the help of AA. One of my biggest fears was the thought of having to go to those meetings all the time. For many this is not a issue and part of recovery. I went 3 days a week for a little over a year then tapered off going to meetings.
    After 20+ years I thought maybe things are different now somehow...they weren't. I was able to quit on my own after drinking about 2 years or a little less, now about 4 years since.
    Some people are just wired different. I feel the fortunate ones are the ones who make the realization of the problem, then overcome it. Some people throw their whole lives away.
    Good luck to you. Try different AA meetings as they're not all the same. You'll find one where you fit.
    PM if ever you feel a need

17. Sep 15, 2021 at 5:51 AM
    stevesnj

stevesnj Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey/Philly Area
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser 80 Series
    Don't hesitate to seek help. Call your insurance company or your doctor (confidential) and they will help. YOU have to make the step to recovery. Being a victim of a drunk driver, who was on his 5th DUI when he hit me, you need to be the one to refocus and make that turn before something you do becomes irreversible to someone. I don't know what state you live in but there are AA meetings probably around the corner, local church, local hotel, there is always someplace to go, even Zoom in to get help. There could be a meeting today, all you have to do is show up or go online. Take off work and do it now!!!

Here's a link for online meetings;

https://aa-intergroup.org/ Links for next upcoming meeting; https://aa-intergroup.org/meetings

In person meetings per state

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

18. Sep 15, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    808veedub

808veedub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 tundra crewmax 2016 trd sport tacoma
    Been sober two and a half years. Maybe this is your rock bottom. Every alcoholic hits rock bottom, some don’t recognize it and some do. Hopefully this wakes you up and you’re able to get the help you need. I talked to a therapist and it helped tremendously. Don’t let pride stop you from seeking help, I let my pride stop me for years. I wish you all the luck!

19. Sep 15, 2021 at 6:15 AM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My truck identifies as a Prius.

Member:
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Voodoo Blue - Tacoma TRD Offroad DCSB
    Oh look, another mod....
    I always tell new comers this:

You are not alone. Not anymore. When I was drinking and in the grips of my disease, I felt very very alone. You never have to feel this way again, if you choose not to.

Like it was mentioned before, find a local AA meeting. Try a few different groups. Thanks for reaching out. Thanks for helping the other recovering AA'ers on this site. (Trust me, you've helped us, you just don't know it yet).

Sobriety Date: March 15, 2013

20. Sep 15, 2021 at 6:34 AM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
To Top