1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help installing Axxess ASWC steering wheel controller

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by trdracing5, Apr 10, 2011.

1. May 30, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    stumble

stumble Active Member

Member:
    1) Black wire of the ASWC-1 to ground using the same grounding connection as the aftermarket radio.

2) Red wire of the ASWC-1 to a 12 volt accessory wire, one that turns on and off with the ignition key.

3) Connect the Green with Orange stripe wire of the ASWC-1 to pin 7 (violet/white) of the vehicle.

4) Connect the Black with Green stripe wire of the ASWC-1 to pin 8 (yellow/black) of the vehicle.

5) Connect Pin 6 WIRE (White/Red) of the VEHICLE harness to Ground. You may use the same ground connection as the ASWC-1 harness Black wire.

2. Jan 21, 2015 at 3:58 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Quick question, I'll probably post back with more and pictures but for now:
    I bought a used pioneer avh 4400 and the aswc. It was installed in a tacoma but the seller has no idea how it all went together. I'll post pictures of what I have to work with, but for now I'm wondering if the toyota add on harness would be helpful? I'm having trouble picturing how the add on harness works with the Control unit. This is the one I'm asking about:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064J4LOM/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2JVCW1GQY516A

3. Jan 22, 2015 at 7:12 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    i managed to wire up everything in what I think is the correct way. I have a question about the 3.5 plug, my pioneer has an aux port and a w/r port. Does the aswc plug into the aux or the w/r (wired remote).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  4. Jan 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I'm wondering if anybody reads this anymore, but here goes another question... I hooked up the aswc with the add on harness and all the steering wheel c trols work but the oem aux plug no longer functions. Any ideas what I did wrong?

5. Jan 30, 2015 at 4:07 PM
    yeos

yeos OCD Member

Member:
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRD OR 2007 Lexus GX
    The add on harness has two rca plugs (red/white). You need to buy an adapter that converts those two into a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone plug / aux plug. Then you take that and plug it into the aux input of your head unit.

6. Jan 30, 2015 at 5:02 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Thanks for the answer. So plugging the rca inputs directly into the pioneer headunit isn't supposed to work? I guess I'll have to live without the aux, I have an iPod cable/charger plugged into the head units aux port.

7. Jan 31, 2015 at 10:06 AM
    yeos

yeos OCD Member

Member:
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    The rca inputs on the back of your head unit are typically used to connect to external amps. However in some cases the manufacturer will use rca as the main aux input method (I think my old alpine cda 9886 was that way). Basically the red / white rca coming from the aswc harness needs to be connected to the aux input on your head unit in order for the factory aux plug on your console to work. Hope this helps.

8. Jan 31, 2015 at 10:13 AM
    yeos

yeos OCD Member

Member:
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    After looking at pictures of the pioneer 4400 that you have you do need the rca to 3.5mm stereo adapter. You will plug it into the aux port below the fuse on the back of your head unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  9. Feb 4, 2015 at 7:55 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Thanks for the help, I ended up buying an rca/3.5 plug like the top picture and my aux port now works perfectly. I had mistakenly bought an ipod/iphone cable that also allowed for video, which is why the pioneer aux input was being used. Turns out I don't need that for just music so I unplugged the iphone cable and plugged in the aux adapter.

If anybody new is reading all this, the adapter harness from metra is definitely the way to go, WAY easier than trying to find and splice into all the different colors. The only 2 wires I had to splice into were the power and grounds, for those I used a posi-tap so I didn't have to strip any factory wires.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  10. Feb 8, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    dylanholmes222

dylanholmes222 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD
    Plastidipped, Sound System
    I love you so much right now :)

11. Aug 10, 2015 at 2:51 PM
    balljoint

balljoint Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCLB
    I was going to bump this thread with a question. But on my way home from work I accidentally solved my problem.

For those of you with the Axxess module installed, who know they have all the wires hooked up correctly, and who get all the right blinking lights on set up but for some reason the steering wheel controls still don't work.

Check your head unit menus for something that refers to a remote control and make sure it's on.

That one thing ended my problem.

Good luck.

:)

12. Jan 2, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    austinrauh

austinrauh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    05 AC OR
    so this thread was very helpful and I read as much as I could before wire colors started getting crazy..

so heres the email I sent to their tech support....

"I recently purchased the Aswc-1 for my 2005 Toyota Tacoma access cab base to instal on my Kenwood ddx373bt double din stereo (with iPod, backup, bluetooth,etc.)

Now I installed everything and it all works great on the radio end, but my steering wheel controls are the only thing not working.

I wired it:

-from axxess red wire to stereo harness red (positive ignition)
    -Black Axxess wire to stereo harness black wire (ground)
    -Green with orange stripe wire of the axxess to the Violet white (pin 7) wire of the vehicle
    -black with green stripe of the axxess to the yellow black (pin 8) of the vehicle
    -then white with red stripe (pin 6) of vehicle to vehicle ground

note:
    all ground wires use the same ground on the harness
    I did not plug in the aux (headphone looking) jack to anything (free floating)
    -I did not plug it on because I believe the instructions say not too?

anyways thank you for any help or suggestions
    -Austin Rauh"

maybe someone can help? I'll keep searching but hey... Thanks!

13. Jun 7, 2017 at 1:17 PM
    chertzog

chertzog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewisberry, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Red DCSB SR5 Sport
    I just installed one of these on with a Pioneer unit. I had to reset the axxess device (there is a button on it) to get the SWC to work. (i also plugged the 3.5mm plug into one of the jacks on the pioneer (wired remote - i think))

That being said, they are almost perfect. The only problem is that i cant browse contacts or open the phonebook via the SWC. if a call comes in the answer button works. If i want to hang up, again, no prob. If i want to make a call, i have to use the touchscreen to browse contact list.

Any ideas.

14. Jun 18, 2017 at 6:56 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    To add to this, if you have a pioneer it just plugs into the remote control port on the back of the unit, but if you have a Kenwood you need to connect a blue/yellow remote wire to the additional aswc brown wire. This is a brown wire and brown/white wire with a 3.5female end that will then plug into the 3.5 male end of the aswc. It's all in the directions but I failed to read then and spent 20 mins trying to figure out what I did wrong.

15. Jan 27, 2020 at 9:07 AM
    MattR820

MattR820 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab offroad
    Two things to clarify: 1) The instructions from Axxess say you're splicing into the Radio harness, that's a bit misleading, you're splicing into the steering wheel control harness, and it will not be connected to anything when your aftermarket unit goes in, it just sits there with the three (or so, depending on year) splices you just made.
    2) the Steering wheel control cables go into the "W R" port in the lower right hand corner of the picture above. The Axxess box has a 2.5 mm pin for this port, and if you have a kenwood/JVC, you need to spice your two steering wheel wires to the 2.5 cable that is included by Axxess. For the other brands, just throw it away.

16. Jan 5, 2023 at 9:37 AM
    jgalvar

jgalvar Member

Member:
    Reviving this old thread to share my lesson learned. I recently installed a new HU (maxpeedingrods) and was not able to get the aswc-1 to work... No matter what I tried. Turns out my new stereo already had something built in to handle the swc wires. I ditched the aswc-1 and wired the vehicle harness wires as follows. Works perfect!

Vehicle violet/white (swc1) to stereo 'key1' wire
    Vehicle yellow/black (swc2) to stereo 'key2' wire
    Vehicle white/red (swground) to stereo ground wire

17. Apr 6, 2024 at 5:18 AM
    stec06

stec06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    SoPines
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB PreRunner 2.7
    Thanks, this just saved me some hassle. New Alpine ILX-W670 can be direct-wired and you don't need the ASWC-1 or AXSWC. Saved me $80, too! The ASWC-1 was programming correctly.

Products Discussed in

To Top