1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help with at home repaining

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ATRT 1193, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    ATRT 1193

ATRT 1193 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrett
    Riverside,CA
    Vehicle:
    04 sr5 5-lug
    none yet...
    so basically i picked up a tailgate that is bright red (muchos gracias nelson18matt) and an all black front bumper from a guy of cl. i want to repaint the tailgate first to put it on, and the bumper either same time or shortly after i have the tailgate on. ive been quoted it will run $200 at local shops to just repaint the tailgate my factory color. my truck is factory white forgot to state earlier. i dont want to drop $200 on a cover up paint job and would like a little hobby work to do on my days off. my question is what should i use to sand off the paint for both tailgate and bumper. Then what would be a good primer and mtaching color. any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Sand it down completely cause white over red would look like crap and you'd have to put 80 coats so the red doesn't show.. anyways sand down to factory primer or down to metal if you wanna prime it too then paint it or find someone with painting equip and experience to do it for you but if you knock out the prep I think it would be significantly cheaper

3. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Take it to a shop, primer,sealer,paint, reducer,catalyst, is expensive and if you f itup your back to square one,do you have a good gun, adequate compressor, rattle can pain jobs look like shit. I had a estimate on my truck most here want $350 a panel+body work.

4. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    ATRT 1193

ATRT 1193 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrett
    Riverside,CA
    Vehicle:
    04 sr5 5-lug
    none yet...
    Yeah I figured white over red would look like crummy, so my question now is what should I use to sand it do? I also was thinking if I did do the labor part maybe I could wheel and deal with a local shope to just primer and paint it for me. Thanks for the input. And sorry twfsa I just don't want to drop 200y300 on a cover paint job. My brother had his done a while ago and that's all they did was primer over the already painted parts and colormatch.

5. Feb 28, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    just call around, i know maaco does real cheap paint jobs that come out decent give them a call if you have one in the area

Products Discussed in

To Top