1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help with ported box and sub

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tacomaniacmatt, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Oct 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    tacomaniacmatt

tacomaniacmatt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal/Ostate
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD offroad, 11 FJC
    kinda getting out of hand...
    Hey guys so I have a Rockford Fosgate 10" p3 running on 370 RMS in a .65 cu ft sealed box I made to fit in my 06 access cab behind the center console so the rear seats are still usable. I would really like to change to a ported box design after reading that they are more efficient. My question is what should I tune it to? I was thinking 32hz and making the box around 1.2 cu ft. That way from my understanding I am not losing sound quality compared to a sealed, and my sub will be safe from infrasonic frequencies as my amp doesn't have a filter built in. Also my sub has a Fs of 29 so does that mean it won't play anything lower then that? Because I don't want to risk over flexing the sub if I don't give in and buy a filter. I have done A LOT of research..and basically what I concluded is that depending on the sub/box size/cab/etc..that will tell me which is the best enclosure for my needs, which basically means I am lost now as to which would be best suited for my needs. I listen to a lot of country and rock, but occasionally will turn on some rap for fun to listen to the bass. Thanks! (and sorry for the essay, I just could really use some real answers and not "depends")

2. Oct 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    tacomaniacmatt

Member:
    NorCal/Ostate
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD offroad, 11 FJC
  3. Oct 31, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    First, a few things about what porting actually does.

When you tune a ported box to a specific frequency it loads the speaker cone more and more as you approach that frequency. So when you play the note that the box is tuned to the cone will move almost not at all.

This is VERY good because as you play lower and lower notes the cone of a speaker has to move more and more. Eventually you get to the point where the speaker doesn't have the mechanical limits to play those notes that loud. Throw a port into the mix and you effectively control the cone movement and you get more output at those lower frequencies. It's a win win situation if it's done right.

And that bull shit people give you about "sealed sounding better" isn't true. Those people just don't know how to design a proper ported enclosure.

I'd recommend checking the RF website for enclosure specs. A lot of times they list some pretty detailed specs for enclosure design. That being said, I know your box will be fairly custom in terms of geometry so we may have to play with the port size and such. I'm sure we can get it done.

4. Oct 31, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    tacomaniacmatt

Member:
    NorCal/Ostate
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD offroad, 11 FJC
    Hey thanks a lot for that information. I also read that the lower you tune a box the less higher frequencies you can play well which is what I mostly listen to. IE: I tune it to the subs Fs of 29 hz, it will not play 60 hz well. Is this true?

And what about my previous question, would I be fine running without a filter if I go ported?

Thanks, Matt

5. Nov 1, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    The sub will play higher frequencies just fine. You wont notice a difference. Port resonance will come into effect higher up but if you make the box right that point will be out of the pass band and the sub wont be playing those frequencies.

If I understand you correctly, you don't have a subsonic filter but you do have a low pas LP filter right?

You'll be fine without a subsonic unless you play just crazy crazy low notes like watching War of the Worlds or Jurassic Park in your truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top