1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help with Ride Rite air bag install

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Stereo, May 22, 2011.

1. May 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    Stereo

Stereo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Laura
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    SR5 6cyl 4WD
    I'm installing the Ride Ride 2304 air bags onto my 4WD Tacoma. The instructions could be improved by showing a side view of the alignment of the bags relative to the U-bolts and the bumper stops, but I think I've got that figured out.

Loose install, driver's side.jpgView from underneath the bed.jpg

My main problem is that after drilling holes through the frame to attach the top mount, I can't figure out how to get the nuts into the frame and aligned with the bolts because I can't easily access the inside of the frame to position the bolt because of metal blocks on both ends.

There's one small hole that I should be able to get one nut through, but the extension on the nut then blocks me from getting the second nut through. I think my only hope is to drop the nut on the extension into the frame and then get my fingers into the hole and try and snag it and line it up.
    Nut on extension arm.jpg Access hole to inside of frame.jpg 1st nut blocks second.jpg

Any ideas from those of you who have installed these? The 2nd generation Ride Rites look like a breeze to install because they use existing holes in the frame. Not so, the 1st gen.

P.S. This is the first time I've attached photos and it appears I should have kept them larger. Let me know if you need me to resend a larger version.

2. May 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    Stlhorsecowboy66

Stlhorsecowboy66 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ft Collins Co
    Vehicle:
    96 taco
    Arb front bumper, bilstien 5100/w elbach coils, trail gear rock sliders(that i hate by the way)
    After drilling your holes put your first blind nut in loosly and then push the rest of the handle in to the hole or cut it off with a pair or tin snips. That way you can put the next blind nut in and repeat process. I would start with the hole that is farthest away from your access hole. You will want to snug them just enough that you can still work the bracket around to get the rest of them.

To Top