1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help with tires/wheels and balancing

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Tripletpkc, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    Tripletpkc

Tripletpkc [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Red DBL Cab Prerunner
    Just bough a set of 16” alloy wheels w/ BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires (3k miles) to replace my stock steel wheels and was wondering if its’ recommended to re-balance the alloy wheels before putting them on the truck? The tires were never taken off the alloy wheels as they still have the TPMS sensors in them. Just worried about vibration/wheel shaking. Has anyone swapped steel wheels with alloys without re-balancing and did you have any issues?

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Where did you buy them from? A private sale? Local business?

Have you looked on the rims? Do they have weights on them? IF you don't see any weights on them, then I'd recommend getting them balanced.

IF there are weights on them....it's totally up to you....if someone took them off one truck and you're putting them on yours, chances are they're already balanced. Drive around and see if you have any vibrations. If you get vibrations, then I'd have them balanced.

OR - just take them somewhere and get them balanced before putting them on.

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    Tripletpkc

Tripletpkc [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Red DBL Cab Prerunner
    Thanks, Janster! I appreciate the recommendations

I bought them from a local Tacoma owner who lifted his 2009 TRD OFF ROAD and put on aftermarket wheels and tires

The rims do have weights on them

I actually just got back from my local BJ’s...spoke with the tire center guy and he recommended the same thing you did... try them, if they vibrate then just get them re-balanced. He also recommended a way to determine which rim goes where...add up the weights and the rims with the lightest weighs go up front...lightest weight rim goes on the front driver side, 2nd lightest on the front passenger side and the back could get the remaining 2 rims ...

Products Discussed in

To Top