1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need opinions for 2nd gen suspension lift.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Creepwood, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Nov 22, 2016 at 3:30 PM
    Creepwood

Creepwood [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4X4 QCLB
    5100's w/885's up front, 5100's w/AAL out back
    Hi all! First off I want to say thanks for the help. I have a 2008 4x4 DCLB. Right now I'm trying to figure out how I want to lift it. I'm primarily worried about clearance for snow and a better ride on crappy roads. I drive a lot of washboard forest service roads and live at the end of a bumpy and narrow 4 mile road. I'm hoping for 2 inches to avoid having to do a UCA right now or any extreme driveline vibes.

My truck is currently stock. I have a basic plate bumper on order. It doesn't have any hoops and I'm not adding a winch so it shouldn't weigh too much. Out back I have a Leer topper that stays on through the winter but comes off when mountain bike season rolls around. I have a set of Cooper Discoverers in 255/75/17 waiting to be mounted when it's all done.

So here's what I'm mulling around.

In the rear:
    My truck still has the original 3 leaf pack springs. Do I get the recall springs and a 1.5 inch AAL or Dakars and remove the 1st OL spring? Either way the current springs are due for replacement. I'm currently leaning towards the Dakars as I'd try and get Toyota to pay for the springs and I occasionally have 5 passengers and 5 bikes. I've read some people have had success with that, even if it takes awhile to get Toyota to fork it over. Bilstein 5100's for shocks.

In the front:
    Do I go for 5100's with 885s? I know 886s are recommended for more weight but from what I've read, a plate bumper only won't be enough weight for the 886s and the ride will be stiff. If I go with 5100s and 885s with a plate bumper up front how much lift should I expect? Would the extra weight bring the 885s down enough (.5 inch or so)? Like I said I'd rather not go down the UCA road right now so I'd like to keep it around 2-2.25 inches. If the 885s don't fit the criteria which coils should I look at and which setting would the Bilsteins need to be at?

Thanks again for the advice.

2. Nov 22, 2016 at 6:08 PM
    ClemsonMGM

ClemsonMGM Even Firemen Need Heroes...

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Workin the pole!
    Vehicle:
    12 Ram 2500
    How much does the bumper weigh?

3. Nov 22, 2016 at 6:19 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    I would go full OME and Light Racing UCAs. Here why: buy once cry once. Do it right the first time

Rear - go with Dakars right off the bat. Anything you add to the current stock pack will be crap. It will only be a bandaid fix and it will not last. Ask me how I know..

Front - 885's should not be set on 5100's at anything other than 0. Those might sag with the weight up front and since you can't set the perch to anything above 0, you move into 886's. 886's and 5100's are a definite no. Too high of a spring rate will cause the 5100's to fail prematurely. Use what is designed to work together and go OME.

Now, UCA's. The reason you should get them (1) regardless of what height you end up with, you will be able to get the numbers well within stock spec and safely. Which leads to my next point; (2) you WILL wander down the road and be in the alignment shop a LOT more on stock UCAs, especially with the added weight up front.

Any more questions, let me know.

Liftman..out.

lynyrd3, Kolunatic and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  4. Nov 23, 2016 at 12:13 AM
    Creepwood

Creepwood [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4X4 QCLB
    5100's w/885's up front, 5100's w/AAL out back
    Should be around 120 lbs.

5. Nov 23, 2016 at 2:55 AM
    ClemsonMGM

ClemsonMGM Even Firemen Need Heroes...

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Workin the pole!
    Vehicle:
    12 Ram 2500
    You should be good with 885s. It may actually help the ride.

Products Discussed in

To Top