1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Quick Advice- Bilstein 5100 + block?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TBTACO, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:19 PM
    TBTACO

TBTACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner
    I just dropped off my truck at 4 Wheel. I need some quick advice, as I may have to call back and change things up.

Just replaced my 1st gen with 2nd gen 2013 Prerunner SR5. I want to achieve a small lift with a nice, level stance. I ordered 5100's all around. I am going to have them at 2.5" in the front (I know it will be a stiffer ride). I also ordered at 1" block for the rear. I ordered these at the advice of a suspension specialty shop (which was too expensive to have service my truck) when I stated I wanted to achieve as high as lift with as level as I could with the 5,100s.

When I dropped it off at 4 Wheel, the guy said it would be level at 2.5" in front with no mod to the back. I find that hard to believe. I understand that there may be the slightest rake when adding a 1" block in the back, but it seems like if I don't add the block, the front will be higher.

My question: Which would be closest to being level? With or without a rear 1" block if set to 2.5" in front? I'd rather have a slight rear rake than the front being higher.

I would prefer not to only raise 1.75, so your answer to the above question is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    MurderedTacoV2

MurderedTacoV2 Booty Admirer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hudson, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco TRD OR
    3 inch lift, B110’s, Dakars, Dirty5’s, Dual Locked
    Closest you could get to some rake would be a 1.5" AAl. If the rear bilsteins are extended length you can get the 2" AAL for slight rake.

3. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:25 PM
    TBTACO

TBTACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner
  4. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    MurderedTacoV2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hudson, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco TRD OR
    Those are stock length bilsteins. I can give you stats from my truck. this was with 5100's, OME 884 coils, and a 2" Add a leaf in the tsb (four leaves total) leaf pack. I had stock length bilsteins in the rear and blew one up by overextending from such a high rear lift. i installed old man emu nitrochargers to remedy that and extended the rear brake lines as well. Now everything is good!

STOCK TACOMA

Driver Side Front - 34.25"

Pass. Side Front - 34.5"

Driver Side Rear - 36"

Pass. Side Rear - 36.5"

MY TACOMA – Bilstein 5100’s, OME 884’s, 2” AAL

Driver Side Front -36.5”

Pass. Side Front - 36"

Driver Side Rear- 38.25

Pass. Side Rear- 38.25"

1.5” AAL means about 1.25” of rear rake = 37.5” in rear total.

MAY SETTLE TO AROUND 1.25” AAL

2” AAL means about 1.75” of rear rake = 38” in rear total.

MAY SETTLE TO AROUND 1.5”-1.75” AAL

5. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    MurderedTacoV2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hudson, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco TRD OR
    So by these measurements using a 1" AAL for example, you will have 0 to 0.25 inches of rake. So basically a level truck, I would try to see if they will install a 1.5" AAL in the rear leaf pack.

6. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    TBTACO

TBTACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner
    Would a 1" AAL have the same visual (not performance) effect as a 1" block?

MurderedTacoV2 likes this.
  7. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:18 PM
    MurderedTacoV2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hudson, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco TRD OR
    no problem, man!

8. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Tire size will fuck up those measurements. Always measure from center of hub to fender.

Extended shocks are not needed with an AAL. you're still running off the stock springs, so you're not increasing the down travel of the rear suspension.

OP, with 5100s set at 2.5" and a 1" block you'll be okay. Factory rake is 2". With a prerunner, you'll get more lift than a 4x4. You may get 3", in which case you'll be glad you did the block.

Your truck is going to ride like shit though. Enjoy.

DavesTaco68 likes this.
  9. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:23 PM
    TBTACO

TBTACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner
    @Pigpen - Do you think going 1.75 and no rear mod is the way to go if it is going to "ride like shit"? Because it is a prerunner, I could likely get a little more than what I expected from the middle settting?

I just purchased 33" ATs, so I want to make sure I don't have any issues.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  10. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    It will help with the steering issues you'll experience going 2.5, and soften the ride. My 4x4 Access Cab got 2.5" of lift set at 1.75. The ride was firm, but felt good. With 255 width tires on stock wheels the steering was fine. With 265 width tires on offset wheels, it steered like an office chair.

If see where 1.75 gets you and adjust the rear accordingly. Be aware you'll eventually want UCAs to adjust caster to fix your steering issues.

This could all be avoided by lifting with spindles instead of adjustable shocks. @ChadsPride has a rad prerunner with a 4" spindle lift.

11. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    TBTACO

TBTACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner
    @Pigpen Thanks for the advice. I have already purchased 17's with 33's to be mounted, so I'm not sure how a 1.75 will accommodate. I'll check out @ChadsPride.

12. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:34 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Expect to do a CMC.

Do you already have the 5100s?

13. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:41 PM
    TBTACO

TBTACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner
    CMC if I go 1.75? And yes, I already have them.

14. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:43 PM
    mosquitoTaco

mosquitoTaco Has an attractive member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SouthTennessee
    Vehicle:
    14' DCSB offroadsport-sold =2005 T4R V8
    Bilstien 5100@ 0, OME 885(+10 mm drivers side spacer for taco lean, 5mm passenger), b110 rears w/ allpro standard leaf pack, wheelers ubolt flip, superbump bump stops, extended brake lines steal braided(front and rear), Dick Cepek extreme country 305/65/17 tires on FN six shooters=17x8, street tires are 285/75/16 duratrac w/FN countersteer type X= 16x8, a healthy cab mount chop, SPC LR UCA's, TC cam tab gussets, Wet okole seat covers, husky x-act fit floor liners, SOS aluminum front skid, SOS mid skid, SOS sliders (bolt on), ECGS bushing for needle bearing, uniden PRO520XL cb. BAMF tailgate antenna mount, 4' firestick, A.R.E. Z series camper top, Factory roof rack, Pioneer avh-5800x head unit. Front and rear anytime cameras, Rear diff. Breather relocate. 42" highlift. Tow straps/All-PRO snatch strap, tow hitch w/D-ring, traction pads, Tacoma bed mat, Rago Fab ditch light brackets with jap special light pods
    My 13 access cab 4x4 I had 5100 set at 1.75 and sat level, it was so level that I added a 1 inch block to get at least a little rake back, looked nose high to often without it, at 2.5 You will want a 1.5-2"aal, my tires were 265/70/17 in this pic

15. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    Minny Taco

Minny Taco For the Horde!

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road DCSB
    - Dobinsons shocks and leaf pack - Level 8 MK6 wheels - 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs load C - SPC UCA - Moog LCA - TRD Pro headlights - Bullet Proof Fab skid plate w/ Line-X - 3M Matte Black roof vinyl - Astrostart remote - Debadged - Black shifter bezel - Front window tint 50% - Color matched grill surround - MESO LED red/white map lights - Osram Super Bright H4 bulbs - Headlight Services upgraded wiring harness - Auxito LED reverse lights - Zulu Nylon Gear MOLLE visor cover - Truxedo Lo Pro QT tonneau - Weathertech floor mats - Weathertech vent visors - Redline Tuning Elite hood struts - OEM bed mat - AJT Design custom shift knob - AJT Design custom climate knobs - Center console organizer - Salex glove box organizer - 1" driver seat spacers - AntennaX 14" antenna - AVS door sill protectors - Trimmed OEM mud flaps - Candyapple red tow hook - Painted pinch weld and radiator frame - Custom radio knobs from Hondo Garage - Xtunes black tail lights - Black LED third brake light - Ruff Tuff Kryptek Typhon seat covers - ACEkraut license plate relocation bracket - Cali Raised Side Shooter ditch lights w/ lo-pro mounts - Subaru tweeters + Rockford Fosgate speakers - Thinkware F800 Pro dash cam - Stickers n shit
    I have your exact same set up. 1.5" in the back would be perfect, I have an inch block there and it's not quite tall enough for me. A small amt of rake would be perfect and 1" isn't quite enough.

MurderedTacoV2 likes this.
  16. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    CMC with 33s if they're wide, regardless of lift.

17. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:57 PM
    TBTACO

TBTACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner
    @Pigpen I'm hoping not. I have been to three professional shops that knew my tire size and setup and they all said I would have no trouble with clearance if I'm not doing any aggressive offroading.

18. Jan 15, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    I hope it works out fine for you. A little rubbing isn't that big of a deal.

19. Jan 15, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    TBTACO

TBTACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner
    @Minny Taco, thanks for the response. How drastically did the ride change with the 2.5" up front and the block in back?

20. Jan 15, 2018 at 8:02 PM
    TBTACO

TBTACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner
    @Pigpen, thank you. I appreciate the insight. Newbie with mods.

Products Discussed in

To Top