1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Some Advice & Convincing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Zzyzx, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Aug 15, 2008 at 7:21 AM
    Zzyzx

Zzyzx [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a bit of a dilemma and really need some direction and advice from some people who know the Toyota and Nissan.

Here is the situation. I really like the 2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access Cab Auto (4Cyl) w/ SR5 package. The dealer has provided a very good OTD price of 22,500. -25.00 under invoice.

The problem I'm having is;
    Nissan is offering a 09 frontier in basically the same configuration at $1725.00 (20775.00) less, or 2K below invoice then the 2009 Tacoma. To make things even more complicated Nissan is also offering the same truck in a 08' model, 17929.00 OTD. That is a -4571.00 difference from the 2009 Tacoma. Apparently Nissan is offering some type of bonus this month to the dealer.

Since I don't know either truck very well, in your opinions, is it really worth the extra $1725 to pay for the 2009 Tacoma or $4571.00 for the '08 frontier? I wish I knew these truck inside out, but I don't and sure could use some experienced opinions. :confused:

2. Aug 15, 2008 at 7:25 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    Let me help u with your dilemma.

BUY A TACOMA! You will love it forever.

Frontier's were made for men that wear pink underwear. DONT BUY ONE

Its that simple...
    Have a good day

3. Aug 15, 2008 at 8:22 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I've had to test both as well my cousin is a bigwig at Nissan (trying to change to something else) and he would have been able to get me a very solid deal on the Nissan.

I looked at both for about 2 to 3 weeks, changed the model I wanted about 3 times (started off with a manual access, wound up with automatic doublecab). I had to rule out the Nissan access cab because the legroom was too small for even someone 5'4", the Nissan engine looked more complicated (a.k.a. too much extra stuff going on), and the Tacoma I never really had to question. The Tacoma is also better rated for truck-like abilities in terms of towing and offroad use, which I was interested in. Furthermore, I've had good history with Toyota - Dad's 460k -something mile Camry is still driving 100 miles a day, and my friends' beat-to-absolutely-hell, neglected 81 pickup is still starting up and driving around town.

The main determination is being able to live with the decision. The price issue becomes not as big a deal as you have to start living with what you bought.

4. Aug 15, 2008 at 8:53 AM
    Zzyzx

Zzyzx [OP] Member

Member:
    Thank you for the well thought out explanation based on your experience.

I know both Toyota and Nissan's reputation are A+, that's what makes this decisions for me even more complicated on the quality standpoint. Since they both have a good reputation I am now trying to find physical differences that would make a convincing choice to choose the Tacoma over the Frontier and justify paying + $1760 - + $4600.00 on the Tacoma.

Nissan really had to muck things up with all the discounting :mad:

I'm even wondering if I should bring up this situation with the Toyota dealership and see what more they can do on their end :confused:

5. Aug 15, 2008 at 9:47 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    go drive both trucks, and then look at them completely....inside and out. then, ultimately, you can make your decision. both make sweet trucks, but the tacoma wins, hands down, and their reliability is awesome to boot!!:)

6. Aug 15, 2008 at 9:52 AM
    mudduck

mudduck Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.

Member:
    the bluegrass state
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    black painted wheels, tinted windows, sockmonkey decals
    dont forget that the tacoma has the highest resale value in the class and....its just a better lookin' truck.

7. Aug 15, 2008 at 10:38 AM
    poleman72

poleman72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner
    Ok although I would have recommended the '08 Nissan to Zzyzx just because the price was way better, I can corroborate your claim on Toyota's reliabilty. My family had a 1984 toyo corolla (which we enventually gave to charity in 2004) - although the odometer stopped at 410k, we estimated that it had about 460k mi on it. What was impressive is that the only major parts that was replaced on the car was the carburetor and the radiator. My step-dad currently owns a '96 camry with 280k mi on it. Only major parts needed fixing was the brakes because one day he was exiting the driveway, and the braking system broke - lucky he wasn't on the highway - lolz!

I would agree with you here. Honestly I think I can live with a Tacoma better than the Frontier.

8. Aug 15, 2008 at 11:33 AM
    irishpride42

irishpride42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4WD
    I have a frontier now and had a Tacoma before that and now I am looking for another Tacoma of that tells you anything. I have only had the frontier for a year and a half!

9. Aug 15, 2008 at 12:06 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    IMHO... I used to be a firm believer in Nissan, but I really feel their qualtiy has stepped down a few notches from their solid years.
    We had a 2003 Maxima SE that really showed its age/wear as good as a Hyundai. My sister has a 04 Sentra... and the same thing, its been nothing but problems. Thats why I went Toyota :D

10. Aug 15, 2008 at 12:07 PM
    Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nutshell:

Toyota:
    1. Better off-road
    2. Better MPGs
    3. Better looking (IMO)
    4. Resale, resale, resale
    5. Less complicated engine, more durable/reliable
    6. DC long box option

Nissan:
    1. Cheaper
    2. Hmmmmmmmmm

11. Aug 15, 2008 at 12:26 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Well put. :cool:

12. Aug 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I still like the NISMO black interior, though

13. Aug 15, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I will stand with tacomaman06 on this one. I drove plenty of trucks, famlies and friends. There was something about the tacoma that just hit the sweet spot sort of speaking.
    I have owned toyota's (truck's and a 4runner) since 1986, I have been MORE than happy with everyone of them.

ready to go hunting!:D

14. Aug 15, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    first off your asking this question in a toyota forum wich u are no way in hell going to get any unbiased opinions from. i own a nissan pathfinder and a tacoma. both awsome trucks both have pos. and neg. botom line is what your plans are for it. if u want to heavily mod it i.e. big lift and stuff, then get a taco. their is more available on the after market for toyota. that is a big reason i got mine. but if u are keeping it relativly stock and just want a nice truck and money is imortant to u to save, then go with the nissan. u need to drive both like eirlier mentioned and decide yorself. u wont get an honest evaluation here from most people. good luck!

15. Aug 15, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I've said it over and over about going from my '05 Altima 3.5SE to the Tacoma but I couldn't agree more. I, too, feel their quality has slipped greatly.

16. Aug 15, 2008 at 8:31 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Tim, Why cant you say "TRD off road" like everyone else? :)

17. Aug 15, 2008 at 8:38 PM
    Zzyzx

Zzyzx [OP] Member

Member:
    I though he was saying eat at Taco Bell in some kind of code :D

Products Discussed in

To Top