1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some feedback using a tow barred vehicle as a mule

Discussion in 'Towing' started by the.trd.pro, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mar 8, 2018 at 1:08 PM
    the.trd.pro

the.trd.pro [OP] @the.trd.pro

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement LT Pro
    I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger on an offroad utility trailer. I'd like to have something to pull extra gear for week+ excursions, but price tags are a bit more than I can afford right now. Then it dawned on me, I've got a 65 FJ40 on 40" swampers and 12" lift with no top, doors, heater, a/c, or radio...just 2 seats and a steering wheel. Is there any reason I couldn't just throw a tow bar on and pull it behind my Tacoma and use it as a means to tow additional gear? I'm talking more about safety concerns, laws, etc. I understand there will be cons if I decided to do this, e.g. no 40" spare, etc, but the idea of being able to use it as a mule then play with it out in the sticks sounds refreshing. There have been many, many times where I wished I had it with me on trips, and this brainstorm seems feasible - unless there's something I'm unaware of when it comes to using a tow bar for towing other vehicles offroad.

Thanks

2. Mar 8, 2018 at 8:39 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    I'd say the biggest reason not I do it is because you like boring and non eventful life. You'll be missing out on all the excitement that you would otherwise experience by having your fj push you into a ditch, into oncoming traffic etc. Stop being so boring dude. Cancel your life insurance and go get some adventure!

In other words towing a vehicle, any vehicle, on a tow bar is a whole different experience than towing the same weight on a trailer. It's a lot harder to control during braking, you can't reverse without unhitching there is 0 tongue weight etc.

And that's assuming you can flat tow an fj40. Some vehicles will destroy important parts if you don't pull the driveshaft out.

I used to tow bar my little samurai behind a 4 door f150. It got the job done. Even with a substantially larger and heavier tow vehicle the sami still tried to kill me once or twice. Flat Towing something that is potentially as large and as heavy as the tow vehicle, and not having brakes, not a good idea at all.

You could still use the fj to carry your crap, but it would be better if it was loaded on a trailer behind an appropriate tow rig.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    musher likes this.
  3. Mar 8, 2018 at 11:43 PM
    the.trd.pro

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement LT Pro
    What's life insurance? :thumbsup:

That's the kind of info I need. No, never towed a flat vehicle. The braking makes sense though. It's hard to stop those big balloons as it is. Thanks for the info

4. Mar 9, 2018 at 12:23 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Im not a flat tow fan when weight/size are not heavily on the side of the tow vehicle. Had a gunner get killed because they were flat towing another gun truck and the tow bar broke. Now imagine having a tow bar break and having that FJ push you into oncoming traffic or a tree.

the.trd.pro[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 9, 2018 at 12:30 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Seems like a big waste of money. I'd bet DOT rules would require it to be plated and insured. Even if it doesn't run.

Some states don't even require a trailer to be plated.

6. Mar 9, 2018 at 1:05 AM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    Flat towing is not something I am a fan of. Flat towing something that could break down while wheeling? Now it’s left you with the choice of abandoning the broken vehicle or being stuck until you fix or find a trailer to bring it home.

I am a huge fan of trailering my wheeling vehicle. At worst I need to find a way to get it to the trail head and load it on the trailer. Now since carrying extra gear was the original intent which got you down this path in the first place why not just get a small trailer?

I think you had a nice idea but I know I wouldn’t do it. I think the original off road trailer should be your focus. If you want to bring the FJ then that is a completely different set of needs and to go wheeling without a spare is pure stupidity. Who has a 40” tire on a compatible rim nearby to save your ass when shit goes wrong?

7. Mar 9, 2018 at 1:25 PM
    the.trd.pro

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement LT Pro
    It is registered, insured and running. And that was the point - it wouldn't cost me a dime.

8. Mar 9, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    the.trd.pro

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement LT Pro
    Excellent point about breaking something. That would totally suck having to leave it, along with my gear, trying to figure out how to get it home.

That's convincing enough for me in itself. Time to start saving for that utility trailer

9. Mar 9, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Yep, a broken down vehicle can be winched or otherwise manhandled onto a trailer.

I fondly remember the looks i got from passing cars one fine day as i was repeatedly ramming a 1/2 ton truck with my jeep to get it lined up with a trailer.

Rear diff seized on the way back from the lake one night. And it did it while going uphill on a steep shoulder road, hence the 30mph ramming to make it all happen. Had to go back the next day with a 3/4 and a flatbed, plus the jeep to haul the boat. Pain on the ass, and i broke a coupe of my off road lights :laugh:

10. Mar 14, 2018 at 5:45 AM
    TimothyHarrell

TimothyHarrell Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timothy
    While transportation safety measures need to be considered with the rules as it is the point of safety of your investment and you as you are towing it. Instead of towing you can go with open carrier auto transport service to transport a 65 FJ40 as it is affordable and low cost as compared to the other services like enclosed carrier transport. As the transport company assures you about the safety of your vehicle and hiring a legally authorized company will take care of all the rules and regulations required for transporting a vehicle. There are many transporting companies that also provide towing service if you wish, you can go with it. Else you can find more info and follow all the steps required for transportation to transport it by self.

11. Mar 15, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    :facepalm:

Let me guess, you are affiliated with the company you linked in your post and you didn't even bother to read the OP.

12. Mar 15, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Lol.

Can't blame a guy for trying?

He is right when it comes to transporting a car. I got quoted a price for shipping a car 4 states away. I couldn't whip out the CC fast enough.

13. Mar 16, 2018 at 2:03 AM
    TimothyHarrell

TimothyHarrell Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timothy

I have read the original post. As per his concern about safety and laws while transporting a vehicle, the car transportation will be more helpful for him and that too in affordable cost, instead of towing a vehicle and worrying about the safety.

14. Mar 16, 2018 at 6:52 AM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    He was asking about loading it with camping gear and flat towing vs getting a utility trailer.

Products Discussed in

To Top