1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need some help on a price asap! thanx

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Ggiannig89, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Apr 14, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    Ggiannig89

Ggiannig89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gianni
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    08 4cyl taco
    Ok I'm about to go finance a new 2010 4cyl tqcoma prerunner access cab today and the sticker price is like 21500 or so what is a good price to ask? I don't want to get ripped of as I am only 21 and I don't want the slaesmen to rape me on the price thanx guys

2. Apr 14, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    nope i paid 18500 otd for my 2008 4 cylinder prerunner access cab

3. Apr 14, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    Ggiannig89

Member:
    First Name:
    Gianni
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    08 4cyl taco
    Wow ok looks like I'm gonna hav to do some bargaining haha, thanks for the help

4. Apr 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    Ggiannig89

Member:
    First Name:
    Gianni
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    08 4cyl taco
    o and its also the sr5 so it has power everything if that makes a difference

5. Apr 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    ya no problem man! it took about 6 hours for us to get there but we did haha good luck to you!

6. Apr 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    i have that as well so no difference!

7. Apr 14, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    NC Coast

NC Coast Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Eastern North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Access Cab
    I am one of the old guys (62 yrs old!) on this forum. I don't consider myself an expert at purchasing a new vehicle but I have bought 14 new cars/trucks over the years (me, wife, two sons). Things that will affect the "deal" you get are:
    are you financing the vehicle or paying cash. Are you trading in a vehicle?
    Are you willing to be business like but IN CONTROL of the absolute amount you are willing to pay for the vehicle and financing.
    Now, some of the things I do - and March 1st, 2010, I bought a brand new Tacoma Access Cab, 4 cylinder, 5 spd, SR5 PreRunner - but I traded a 2009 Toyota Camry LE as part of the deal.
    When talking "price", be emphatic and let the sales person know the price you want quoted to you includes all taxes, dealer prep fees, state registration, state license - EVERYTHING! Don't seem to eager to have a specific vehicle and let the sales person know you are comparison shopping PRICE at more than one Toyota Dealership. I have heard dealerships that tell customers, "well if you are going to buy on price then I don't want to waste my time with you". That translates into: we charge too much and I know it! When I bought my truck in March the dealership evaluated my trade in and gave me an "out the door" cost (the amount of cash) I would have to pay along with the title for my Camry to own the truck. I looked at the number and knew I would never pay that amount. I thanked them and left. I waited three days and took a certified check made out to the dealership, along with the title to the Camry, to the sales manager and said this is what I will give you for the specific truck I wanted. His first response was loud and almost insulting. He said, "there's no way we could ever do that - we will lose money on the deal and we have mouths to feed working here. I thanked him, picked up my check and the title to the Camry and started to leave. Then he wanted me to look at the "Invoice" for the truck. Think about that - it's a psychological tactic to try to persuade me to pay more. First of all the Invoice he wanted to show me is NOT what the dealership paid for the truck. More importantly, I would not look at the invoice because the invoice and all the other papers he had in the folder on the truck I wanted to buy don't mean a thing to me. Only ONE THING is important to me and that's what I am willing to pay for the vehicle. I got almost to my car (the Camry I wanted to trade for the truck) and the salesman told me the sales manager said he would "make it happen", meaning he accepted my offer. Interesting that he took my offer when ten minutes before he flat out told me he would lose money if he accepted my offer? It took thirty minutes to do all the papers and I left with the new truck. I don't know if this helps but if has worked for me. Not every time did I get the dealer to take my offer but often I did. I think the worst thing you can do is tell a car/truck salesman, "I can affort a monthly payment of this much ($xx.xx), can you put me in that truck". You way over pay for the vehicle and associated financing when that happens. Good Luck!

8. Apr 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    Ggiannig89

Member:
    First Name:
    Gianni
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    08 4cyl taco
    Thanx that should help a lot I'm sitting in the dealership right now and I'm gonna stay strong on my demands... I don't hav a problem not getting anything today so walking will be easy

9. Apr 14, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    david7268

david7268 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRDSport
    NONE.....yet!
    Great advice! Not just on that, but everything was very well put. The only thing that you may be wrong on is this: "are you financing the vehicle or paying cash."

To them, financing and cash is the same thing unless it is one of those dealers that carry the note. Otherwise, it's all the same. If you buy for $14K and pay cash, it is actually less money for them because most dealers have agreements to get sort of a kickback from finance companies. Not to mention, if you get approved for a 3.9APY and they sucker you into a higher interest rate than that, they also get another little check.

Many times if you know this, you can use that as part of the bargaining. You say knock off X (usually a few hundred) number of dollars and I'll finance with your company if you can match or beat my pre approved rate. NEVER TELL THEM YOUR RATE!!! You will find out quickly how straight they are shooting with you. If the SOB tries to pry it out of you, leave. If he comes back and gives you a rate similar to what you have, that is your starting point. EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE!!!......when you have good credit of course.

Don't settle. Don't buy into this first time buyer BS, blah, blah, blah. They have more time than you do. What you've got on your side is several dealers out there selling the same thing. Good luck guys.

10. Apr 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    bossk

bossk Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Stock 06 Taco
    Just remember they have goals, inventory, cash flows etc to manage. They actually want to sell you a truck more than you want to buy a truck. Sometimes waiting until the end of the month can help you with price since they usually operate off of monthly goals from the top down.

Also, whenever they "go ask for a managers approval" its total bs. They are just playing games. In most cases they know what they can sell the car for.

I like the advice NC Coast gave and how he brought the cashiers check with the price he was willing to pay.

Good luck and have fun! Seriously, have fun! Stay in control and decide what you are going to pay and stick with it...!

11. Apr 14, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    www.edmunds.com
    www.carsdirect.com

look on these sites for market value in your area. Plus they will list any rebates or dealer hold backs.

Also using the carsdirect website, you don't have to dick around & waste valuable time sitting in a dealership. You deal with the internet dept @ the dealer.
    Plus you can haggle the carsdirect price. I did this when I bought a 2003 Tacoma. Went in with print outs of the prices from the carsdirect website. which was a few thousand lower than sticker. Told them what I was looking for they didn't have the truck I wanted. But had one better. Then we went to the carsdirect website, pulled that truck price. I even haggled the price down some more along with some dealer add-ons. Left in 1 1/2 hours in my new Tacoma. @ a great price.

I kept that truck a year & a half, traded it for a new 2005 Tacoma & they gave me $2500 more than I owed(and the 2003 was financed for 5 years).

12. Apr 14, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    Ggiannig89

Member:
    First Name:
    Gianni
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    08 4cyl taco
    So I just waled out... without a new truck sticker was actualy like 22500d I offered 23900 they wanted 24900 idk if I shoulda took the deal though 6 year finance at 4 percent interest with 440 a /month and 0 down,, does that sound like a decent deal? I have 720 credit... they also offered me a 08 tacoma for 1700 out the door with about 40000 miles on it.. good deal?

13. Apr 14, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    GotToyota

GotToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Portland, OR
    $600 below sticker is still too much profit on their end. You have to learn to walk out if you don't get the deal you want.

14. Apr 14, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Bill hit the nail on the head right here^^^^^^ I did the same thing 3 weeks ago with my Used Taco... Nice one Bill!

15. Apr 14, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    bossk

bossk Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Stock 06 Taco
    You did the right thing! 17K is a terrible deal for the 08.

16. Apr 14, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors

Find another dealer. OTD price should have been around sticker or slightly less.

6 years @ 4% on the 24,900 is not $440 a month. They would have ripped you off. It would be $389.57

Go to http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx

To figure your payments.

17. Apr 14, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    My new '08 AC SR-5 had a sticker of about $21500 and I paid $18400 out the door with all the BS stuff. I walked twice and they realized I would keep walkin. Plus I got Edmund's private party value on my trade. Then I really irked them when at the last minute I beat their financing at the bank.

Dealers: no wonder they call them stealers.

18. Apr 14, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Hold on, the sticker price was 22500 and you offered 23900?
    I paid 22800 OTD for my truck (granted this was july last year) and the sticker price was 26,100 (4x4). If the sticker is 22500 you need to be in the 18k-19k range.

19. Apr 14, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    tacoseller

tacoseller Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    4x4 2.7ltr
    I sell Toyota's here in Houston Tx. Best thing is to shop around for the best price and find a dealer you feel comfortable with. Dont negotiate on the payments, stick to the price. Also see if your bank or credit union can give you a good interest rate. Buy what makes you happy and look for the best deal. Youocan always buy from me and have your truck shipped to you :)

20. Apr 14, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    swbimny

swbimny Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San diego
    Vehicle:
    4X4
    Lots of good advice here. I see you're in San Diego. I purchased a 2010 3 weeks ago using truecar.com for my research. Any of these sites provide good info. Tried Costco and they referred Bob Baker Toyota to me. Their price was $900 under MSRP which I thought was not even in the ball park. Went to El Cajon Toyota, knowing what I thought was a good price. They did the usual tricks to get the highest price possible. Anyway, got it for $550 under invoice, which was my original offer. It was friendly negotiations. They made money and I paid what I thought was a fair price. Good luck, take your time and keep emotions out of it. You can always come back

Products Discussed in

To Top