1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need some recommendations on tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by trd taco guy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Jul 11, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    my stock duelers are going to be replaced soon and i wanted some advice or recommendations on what I should replace them with.

I have a trd sport with 17" rims and stock ride height with rear tsb. i want to run a little bigger tire something like 265/70/17. But here is my situation im a sales guy and have put 34 k miles on my truck in 10 months so im looking for a tire with a good tread life but im also looking to go a bit more aggressive. one for looks and two I drive on job sites a lot and have cut the sidewall pretty good on my duelers once or twice and would like some added traction for muddy jobs and rough terrain.

so what would you guys recommend?

2. Jul 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    AN21489

AN21489 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm a student in Columbia, SC so obviously I'm on the pavement a good bit. But I'm also from a very small town and I do a lot of hunting and riding around on our land. I had the Duellers and they pretty much sucked but I stuck with them until they wore down.

I looked around for a LONG time and I ended up opting for the Firestone Destination MT's....265/70/17. I had never owned any aggressive tire. They fit fine and look absolutely awesome. I couldn't be happier with them. They are a slight bit louder than the Duellers but it's nothing annoying and to be honest the ride might actually be smoother. The dude at the Firestone dealership tried to talk me out of them and I was almost going to go with the AT's because I was really worried about road noise but now that I have them I couldn't be happier. They're a REALLY tough tire off road and can handle stuff off-road that I used to be only able to wave at with the Duellers. And on road they are very very good, so anyways that my recommendation.

I price matched them so that was a good move, I ended up saving $400.

3. Jul 11, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    BFG All Terrains is what you want man they are tough as hell look aggressive and last a long time, I got like 70,000 out of my last set.

4. Jul 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    well if you want a tire that is going to last a long time go with the Michelin ltx ms, you will safely get about 90k out of them! But if you want a tire for looks go for the Yokohama geolander. I think both of them have a 3 ply sidewall.

my brother has the Michelin ltx at2 on his tacoma, they look pretty good!

5. Jul 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    My two cents... they are 265/70/R17
    Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
    [​IMG]

6. Jul 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    x2!!

7. Jul 12, 2010 at 1:44 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Agreed. This is what I plan on getting (except a different size). They're rated all terrain, so the tread should last and ride pretty well. Of course the tread speaks for itself for aggressiveness. Probably one of the most aggressive AT tire available.

8. Jul 12, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    General grabber at2. I had a set on a 2wd chevy. They ran well in snow and light mud compared to regular street tires. They're cheaper than BFG but have roughly the same tread pattern.

I will be getting a set of grabbers for my truck this month.

9. Jul 12, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I have Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos. Great tire, quiet on the road, minimal loss in gas mileage, excellent in mud and snow...I haven't wheeled them on hunting grounds or anything like that, but I've never had trouble on 2-tracks and snow covered roads and trails. I have about 40k miles on them and the treads at about 8/32.

10. Jul 12, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    superbikedad

superbikedad Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Stevens, Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 sr5 trd dbl cb 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's, 1.75 lift front, 1' block rear,265/70/16
    How about Hankooks Dyna pro AT's. Looked at some over the weekend at Discount Tire and they are nice. 60,000 mile tire with agressive tread. Keep in mind with those tires you have a choice between the c rating witch is a P265/70/17 or an E rating with 10ply side wall witch is an LT 265/70/17. They have the same tread design but with the LT the tread is deeper. I dont have them yet but have heard great things about them. Buying them within the next month myself.

11. Sep 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    SO the time has come that i am def. gonna need to get some new tires before winter just put three plugs in my tires in the past three weeks. One concern that i have is if i upgrade to a 265/70/17 and leave my spare with the stock tire size will i run into issues if i ever have to use it. i know i cant run on seperate tires sizes for a prolonged period of time but will it hurt my truck bad if i just run on the spare till i can fix the larger tire? (aka a few days to a week) keep in mind i drive alot for work about a 1k a week

12. Sep 21, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    The problem with dissimmilar size tires is that the differential gears turn as if you are cornering. You are asking for a failure running an odd size tire.
    The reason they use an odd size temp spare is because they tell you to run no faster than 55 mph and no farther than 50 miles. One reason is loss of stability, the other is mechanical damage.
    Put a matching spare in the bed till you can get a spare carrier for the bumper.

13. Sep 21, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    gobias

gobias as in Gobias some coffee

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Dbl TRD
    Michelin LTX AT2 would be great for you if you're on the road a lot. Good mileage out of them too.

Sounds like you really want some BFG AT KOs though. They last forever and are damn near indestructible.

14. Sep 21, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    BFG A/T. I can put whatever tire I want to on my truck (Manager for Discount Tire) and I choose the BFG A/T because of the proven performance both off road (multiple BAJA championships) and on road (I typically see around 60-70k out of them, provided proper rotation and balance)

15. Sep 24, 2010 at 2:06 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I would follow with this advice. We have the Michelins on a Dodge Diesel 2500. That truck chews through tires and the Mich is all that we can get to stand up for an on-road tire. However, it's a 2WD and with those tires it gets stuck in anything less that hard packed gravel.

The BFGs are intensely popular, and will be well suited for most anything you toss at it. My offroad run leader used them through moab, TSF, Reiter, and other places and didn't see a need for MTs. I don't expect them to get a tread life of the Mich though

Products Discussed in

To Top