1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need to replace outer seal also????

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by offroadTRD, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    offroadTRD

offroadTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dinwiddie County, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4 TRD- Fabtech
    Fabtech 3" adjustable coil-over system, Alcan 8-leaf spring pack, Fabtech 3" body lift.
    aight guys.... I have to replace my passenger side rear axle seal due to my diff breather being clogged. I got the inner seal and am getting ready to install it. I found that my outer seal that is attached to the axle shaft has some play in it. I can take the very end of the axle shaft and wiggle it and it has about 3/4" of play. Is this normal to you guys that have done this replacement and seen this issue??? Or do I need to look into bearing issues??? Before I took the axle out I wiggled the rear hub to check bearing play and I got none. It seemed to be okay while it was mounted on the axle housing flange. But now that I have my axle out it just seems iffy to me. Hope you guys can ease my questioning or tell me that I need to take my axle shaft to a machine shop to have a bearing/outer seal replacement..... Here are a couple of pictures...thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jun 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Any time you remove a shaft from a seal, replace the seal. Make sure there isn't a groove in the shaft either. They make speedy sleeves and oversized seals, if you do have a groove.

Products Discussed in

To Top