1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need to upgrade brakes and rotors that wont warp

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TheBlackPearl, May 22, 2011.

1. May 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    TheBlackPearl

TheBlackPearl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
    Lol... I don't drive like a racer boy. This truck is too slow for that.... especially with the heavier wheels/tires. I don't have road rage either and actually drive like a grandpa. There are a few times when I have to press the brakes harder to avoid running red lights. However, I always notice that the problem starts when I drive during a rainy day or drive downhill too long where I have to slow down by pressing the brakes.

I am actually going to bring it to another brake shop this time. I'm starting to think maybe it's the brake shop that I take it to. They replaced my brakes all 3 times and I've had problems all three times.

2. Jan 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Sub'd

I think my rotors might be warped. When I'm on the highway and go to push the brakes my steering wheel shakes. Now, right before my truck completely stops, the brakes squeak. Also, I find the brakes to be very sensitive to water. I cant wash the wheels without the brakes making an awful noise.

3. Jan 21, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  4. Nov 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM
    Overkill07

Overkill07 Tacoitis

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R DC MGM
    A few audio upgrades, tinted windows, remote start because it f'n hot in Texas! 6in Fabtech DB lift, 17x9 Fuel Trophy wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs,BAMF 80in sliders w/kickout, Prinsu cab rack w/30in Heretic light bar, custom bedside decals, custom hi-lift jack brackets, US Offroad front bumper w/winch, bed rack with RTT, CB, Short wave base station, Ultra gauge, color matched grille surround, an ungodly amount of recover gear, ARB fridge, hood struts, RotoPax, traction pads.
    This has been the most helpful thread yet on TW for brake upgrades. So I am resurrecting this to share for others as this is a continuois topic that has not been covered enough with acurate info. I will update with my experance. Since the install of my 6in lift and running 35's on 17's my stopping distance SUCKS!. It is to the point where I will not let my wife drive the truck in worries that she will not be able to stop in time when she needs to.

5. Oct 19, 2015 at 8:15 AM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    i was thinking about new rotors, just last night....i ran 0-60 test....and the whole truck shook when I applied the brakes

6. Oct 20, 2015 at 4:05 AM
    Overkill07

Overkill07 Tacoitis

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R DC MGM
    A few audio upgrades, tinted windows, remote start because it f'n hot in Texas! 6in Fabtech DB lift, 17x9 Fuel Trophy wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs,BAMF 80in sliders w/kickout, Prinsu cab rack w/30in Heretic light bar, custom bedside decals, custom hi-lift jack brackets, US Offroad front bumper w/winch, bed rack with RTT, CB, Short wave base station, Ultra gauge, color matched grille surround, an ungodly amount of recover gear, ARB fridge, hood struts, RotoPax, traction pads.
    Sounds like your rotors may be warped. If they are not bad, then they could be machined. If not, then it's time for an upgrade. I will upgrade mine when they wear out. It seems that I've just gotten use to the increased distance needed for stopping.

7. Oct 12, 2016 at 10:48 AM
    jp05

jp05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    TN 931
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR, DCSB, 4x4, Leer Top.
    good information

8. Oct 12, 2016 at 11:38 AM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
  9. Oct 12, 2016 at 12:14 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I must be super easy on my truck. I have 70k on it and have the original rotors with no warping.

10. Oct 12, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    dwaltdtx

dwaltdtx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    DFW, TX
    108K miles with original rotors. I am about to upgrade due to added weight and the fact that I tow quite a bit. I will probably go with ebc, but it's good to see several people having luck with cheaper options

11. Oct 12, 2016 at 5:38 PM
    FreidTaco

FreidTaco boost

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Panhandle of Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD OffRoad SR5
    URD Stage 3 SC. 35" duratracs LT
    stop braking so hard. good grief. learn to slow down sooner and more gradual. Use your engine to help slow you down. I just replaced my front pads from the factory OEM ones at 92k miles(and still had life left on them) I am also on 35s fyi.

12. Oct 12, 2016 at 5:58 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    There was mention of using the emergency brakes with auto and manual transmissions and I totally agree .
    Use them every time you park
    Its one of the best things you can do to keep your truck rolling to a stop smoothly and parking smoothly for many miles to come .
    1 - Keeps your rear brakes adjusted properly so when you need to come to a stop quickly you are using all 4 brakes rather than just the two up front
    2- When coming to a stop and preparing to park , hit the ebrake which unloads the energy or weight of the truck off of the transmission parking pawl .
    Your brakes are going to last longer and you are going to produce less metal to metal wear inside the transmission.
    Here is a pic of your parking pawl . That tiny gear and locking assembly with that tiny steel pin are assigned the task of holding your 4000 pound truck from rolling . Add some bigger tires and a heavy bumper and you are asking for grief .
    I have replaced many of these .

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top