1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Needing Info on Power Steering Stuff....

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Kuneff, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Jan 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Kuneff

Kuneff [OP] Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    97 Tacoma, 2.7 4wd.

On the power steering there is a part that is mounted into the pressure line of the pump. What is it called??? Hynes book calls it a Power Steering Pressure Switch, AllData calls it an Air Control Valve....

I need to know how to check to see if it is working properly, and if ANYONE could help me with a Toyota Part number to that piece I would be extremely grateful. I have spent the last 2 hours searching and have had no luck. This is my last ditch effort before heading to the dealership tomorrow.

The part looks like a thread in switch/sensor, similar to fuel pressure sensors on other cars.... BUT it have NO wires going to it. Just 2 vacuum lines...

I am needing to know how to check mine, or a Toyota part number to try to cross over at Napa or Advanced since neither show it on there systems.

The issue I am having is that my truck is VERY hard to steer at times. Some times its much easier than others.

79336693.gif

2. Jan 12, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    Kuneff

Kuneff [OP] Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
  3. Jan 13, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    Kuneff

Kuneff [OP] Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    no one know about this little guy? I can't possibly be the first one with very stiff steering and wondering if its this vacuum control switch...

4. Dec 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    jdtoothnail

jdtoothnail Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Wapato, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4 w/ 3" Toytec Lift
    3" Toytec/Eibach Coilover lift w/ 5100s in front, Toytec rear BOSS shocks, Light Racing UCAs, OME Dakar Rear Leaf Packs w/ rear axle degree shims, Toyo Open Country A/T II LT285/75R16 (33"), Gear Alloy 712MB Injectors (Machined Black & Chrome wheels), Airaid Cool Air Intake System, TRD Exhaust, Black Head Light Mod, GrillCraft Black Mesh Upper & Lower Grill, Removed Mudflaps, Jensen VM9324 DVD player (secret e-brake override code on all Jensens) w/ Streaming Bluetooth Adapter, Steering Wheel Adapter & Rear Back-up Camera... ALL done by me, thanks to all the info here on TW. If I can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it!
    Assuming you figured this out, what was the problem? My 05 Tacoma suddenly has tight steering, intermittent tightness through a full turn. Took it to Firestone and they said "Remove & Replace Power Steering Pressure Switch". Can't seem to find much on it. They quoted $119 + $95 labor. Stealership quoted $159 + $140 labor! Seems like something I could remove and replace myself given enough instruction.

Products Discussed in

To Top