1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DustStorm4x4, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 22, 2017 at 2:06 AM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 [OP] BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    Comcast has a horrible reputation for being assholes to its customers and lobbying against basic internet rights. They’re currently fighting for repeal of Net Neurtrality along with other ISPs like AT&T and Verizon. This would allow your Internet Service Provider to intentionally slow down your internet speeds on certain websites, make you pay additional money for certain websites (like TW; + $5/month) or even block certain websites altogether. The decision to keep Net Neutrality or to toss it is soon. They’re trying to fly under the radar by trying to do this during the holidays. Please guys, call and email your representatives, educate and tell your family to do so as well, and share this info to keep up awareness. The way I see it, is it’s censorship on a whole new that is economically bad for the average consumer and even small business owners. Freedom of speech would be hindered and it ultimately would take power away from the people.

I think Comcast is even trying to sway public opinion on them by raising their customers internet speeds for free. I originally paid for 25mbps and they bumped it up to 65-70 mbps. That’s cool and all but it won’t mean anything if Net Neutrality is killed.

Seriously, please fight for this. https://www.battleforthenet.com/

916carl, 23Skidoo, SOSC and 3 others like this.
  2. Nov 22, 2017 at 2:57 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    If you build it they will regulate it.

How exactly is this bad for small business?

3. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:01 AM
    DustStorm4x4

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    I’m not against regulation. But this is senseless. It would benefit literally nobody except ISPs.

If ISPs have the ability to limit the speeds of our internet based on the websites or apps that we use, they will be able to charge each website for data prioritization. This prioritization would allow a website's users to have high internet speeds while browsing that site. This idea seems incredibly similar to an old mob tactic where business owners have to pay the mob in order to operate a store in “mob territory.” As a small business owner, especially one who sells products or services through the internet, you rely heavily on your website to bring in business. Imagine being told by a company like Comcast that in order to allow your users to continue to browse your site at high speeds, you will need to pay a hefty fee for data prioritization. You would almost assuredly not be able to make those payments. On the other hand, your multi-million dollar competitors, whether they be Walmart or another big box store, have almost infinite funds to make sure their website speeds are consistent. This, in effect, could put a small shop out of business because of how important internet trafficis to its bottom line.

SOSC, dziner, isprant and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:04 AM
    DustStorm4x4

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    The link I provided at the end of the original post better explains why NN is so important. I encourage everyone to read it to get familiar with the subject.

SOSC, isprant and Key-Rei like this.
  5. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:09 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
  6. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:10 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    I like to see actual proof not what could happen.

7. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:10 AM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
  8. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:14 AM
    DustStorm4x4

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    Key-Rei and isprant like this.
  9. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:18 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    AGAIN!!??? WTF money greedy conglomerate bass tards. :annoyed::rant:

thats-not-ok.jpg

DustStorm4x4[OP] likes this.
  10. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:21 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Thanks for bringing this up and providing the legwork @DustStorm4x4 I'll be giving the call on my way home from work this morning.

I still can't believe they're going after it again.

Isn't fast internet considered a human right in some E.U. countries?

DustStorm4x4[OP] likes this.
  11. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:21 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
  12. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:26 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd

Slow down, you are slowing down the internet with those memes, I won't be able to buy Tacoma products on line.

13. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:31 AM
    DustStorm4x4

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    Capitalism still benefits the average American by creating better prices through competition. This is cronyism. Ajit Pai was appointed to the FCC and was literally a lawyer for Verizon. If that isn’t clear Cronyism or a a clear cut example of conflict of interest, idk what is.

Speaking with your wallet isn’t applicable here. It’s almost guaranteed that every ISP available with jump on board with this. And almost nobody has no choice in deciding which ISP is even available in your area. You either have internet or don’t.

SOSC, isprant and Key-Rei like this.
  14. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:29 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    The FCC wants to kill net neutrality. What does this mean though? If net neutrality is dead - this means is ISP's can throttle your speed for certain content like YouTube or Netflix .. or hey, even TacomaWorld. But I want that 1080p brah, how do I get it if they throttle me? Well buddy you're going to have to pay an extra fee for that right ... does that sound good to you? Hell fuckin no, this is America.

Alright Red, what can I do? I'm glad you asked... this link will tell you more than I ever could, it will also give you tips on what to say to your local reps.

You can also text 'resist' to 50409 ... follow the instructions .. it's so simple! It's an automated bot that will write on your behalf. Say something like you are a tax paying, bacon eating, gun toting, tacoma panty dropping sombitchin American and you don't want no ISP to have 'fast lanes' or throttle you for certain things. It takes 5 - 10 minutes ... a lot of us are on TW for hours, I think some of us can do it.

Come on guys, I know it's not a big deal to most and 99% of y'all don't gaf and will scroll past but even if 1 person does it, typing this post out took me 5 min, and it would be worth it.

Cheers guys & ladies :cheers:

15. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:33 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Same like thread got locked earlier but, good luck most likely due to it's political nature as TW intends to be a neutral zone, irregardless of how bad the FCC needs some of the below:

flaming-middle-finger-281x500.jpg

Daria likes this.
  16. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:33 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
  17. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:34 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Yes I can understand how it can be related to politics .. but it doesn't have to. This has nothing to do with politics right now.

18. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:37 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    True but the mods weild the hammer. They make da rules.

I agree and have already called my rep thanks to you and @DustStorm4x4 for bringing it to my attention. I've spread the word to my non truck driving friends too.

Yes every single both of them. :rofl:

19. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:40 AM
    Benzdriver81

Benzdriver81 Making it fool-proof will just make a better fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB Sport
  20. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:43 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    lmao ...

People make threads to vote on shit like my truck is better than these, help me win.

This is actually important, ISP's already butt rape everyone. There's a reason comcast is the most hated company - poor reliability, poor customer service, poor internet service. They have no backlash either.. why? because americans don't 'need' internet to THEM.. but we do.. it's not a luxury, it's a necessity now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top