1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Never given a Valet key from dealer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ChRis., May 13, 2011.

1. May 13, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    ChRis.

ChRis. [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

I don't own a Taco but my dad has a 2010 SW DC SB sport edition. I was reading the owners manual and it showed 3 keys should come with the truck.

My dad bought his truck from a Ford dealer with 1,950 miles on it and they gave us only 2 keys, 2 remotes, a tiny number plate, but no valet key?

My dad doesn't really mind that he doesn't have a valet key but should he be worried about someone out there that does have it? It's most likely the previous owner or dealer (dealer can't find it cause we asked). Should my dad have his key set reprogrammed so the valet key that is no where to be found cannot be associated with the truck?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. May 13, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I wouldnt worry about it to much if I were you guys. I doubt whoever owned it before or whatever saved the key to steal the truck back.:cool:

3. May 13, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    ColoradoTaco

ColoradoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Boulder
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB OFFROAD
    mine came with a 3rd gray key (valet key) but i thought the same thing what does it do different. NO glove box lock no trunk lock whats the point.

4. May 13, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Thats what I was given. The dealer gave me some silly story that with the "Vallet" key, the truck will turn off if its driven over 20 miles. Being as I have used this key to drive 186 miles, with no issue, Im calling bullshit on it.

5. May 13, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    I got the same and I agree on calling bullshit. There's no way the vehicle would just shut off - imagine if you on the interstate and you hit the magic 20 mile number and didn't know what's going on. Huge liability.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about not having it. The odds of the previous owner ever even seeing the truck are slim and even slimmer odds of that person having the key on them and having a malicious mindset.

6. May 13, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Do you have aftermarket remote start?? Usually you have to give up a key for the remote start to work.

7. May 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    With all three keys having the transponder chip encased in the black/gray rubber/plastic head they all allow you to to start the truck. The "valet key" has a transponder chip in it that cannot be used to program a duplicate transponder. The two black headed keys have transponders that someone could use a transponder programmer to make a copy to allow them through. Thus, to protect you from someone nefariously making a copy of the physical key and a copy of the ignition transponder so that they could, as Obama would say, "Redistribute what is yours to others who are less fortunate."

With that said, if you are planning to drop the truck off to a valet, service provider, or have a remote start/alarm system that requires a chip inside itself to start the truck it is suggested that you use the valet key. If you are doing the latter then please seriously consider cutting the actual key off of the head before it is inserted into the remote starting system so you aren't leaving a physical key for someone to simply remove from said remote starting system and then enjoying your truck in what you would consider a less than favorable way.

8. May 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    I think it's just a convenience thing, an extra key that you can carry separately so you don't have to give up your main key when you take the vehicle in for servicing. They can easily get lost which is probably what happened to the OP's Dad's truck's former owner. I wouldn't worry about it, the guy probably won't find it until he cleans out the junk drawer one day.

A little off topic, when I had my VW GTI it was common to reprogram the ECU to include several switchable fuel mapping programs for performance. One of the programs that came with the package was "valet mode" which, when set, would limit the vehicle to 25 mph and/or 3000 rpm's.

9. May 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    True dat....this is where my valet key currently is.

And yes, I realize this defeats the purpose of having a chip in the key, but it also makes getting a new key much less expensive. If it's going to get stolen, a chip wont slow a professional thief down much.

10. May 13, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    ChRis.

ChRis. [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks guys for the insight.

No, there is no remote starter.

11. May 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    Tacozoid

Tacozoid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Katy Texas
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma Pre-runner
    Billsteins,Texas tint. Blue Dash mod. Console mod. in Blue, Customized grille
    I never use the Valet at Burger King anyway![​IMG]

12. Nov 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but thanks for the info. I was wondering what I was gonna do for the remote starter I am having installed. I will just give them the valet key.

13. Nov 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    undecided

undecided Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport 4X4
    CAI, CB radio, Double Din Stereo, Aero Exhaust, Softopper, BHLM, KODE Push Button Start, Bruteforce Fab Rear bumper, Weathertechs
    I was only given the "Valet" key for my truck when I bought mine (used). I was dumb enough not to ask for another working key just in case. I found out that if I do not have the "master" key I cannot program additional keys. I am not sure if this is true or not. I have asked several dealerships and the concensus is the average cost is somewhere between $400-$600. That is to flash the computer ($350), get a new set of master keys and program each one ($50-$80/key). Luckily I havent lost my keys yet. I wouldnt worry about having the masters.

14. Nov 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Actually, now it all makes sense to me. Palehorse1 has it right (thank you).

Use your gray key. Carry it with confidence. If you lose it, you can use your black key (stored safely somewhere at home, right?) to get new keys made.

No one has been able to tell me that information. Even the dealer here, although I admit I didn't ask the parts guy who probably knows. I've always wondered what the hell the valet key did that was different than the others.

Products Discussed in

To Top