1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEVER GO TO FIRESTONE!! $7500.00 in damages

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jreaka13, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Apr 6, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    Jreaka13

Jreaka13 [OP] COLORADO!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma extended bed Sport
    Everything that i have done so starting first with the shell, westin sportsman front grill,PIAA fog lights, westin rear light guards, dee-zee side steps, Nice upgradred rims and tires, dvd player,12 inch sub, Halo headlights, K&n Cold air intake, bed mat......
    I have on o7 Tacoma... anyways i bought a new pair of tires and rims for my truck and decided that i should have my allignment checked so that my new tires would wear properly.. so i brought it to firestone seeing in ad on tv persuaded me to do this because they had lifetime allingments for $150.00... I thought that was a heck of deal.. my trucks allignment was not bad to start out with.. it just needed a little corrections here and there not far off at all.. drove straight.. after i left the store i noticed my truck was pulling real bad to the right and the readings when i left the store were worse than before i showed up... so i was already pretty mad at them at this point... so i said whatever and took my truck to another allingment done right away hoping i would get someone who knew what they were doing this time.. which i did... but the other firestone did so much damage it wasnt allinable after that... So i pretty much was ready to rip that little chubby guy a new one.. after fighting with corporate about having them fix my truck to the state it was in before firestone touched it.. and i finaly one!! I brought it to toyota and firestone paid them to fix and gave me a rental truck while mine was in the shop.. they ended up waloring out the frame hole and eccentic.. wolored out my contral arm and bent the allingment tabs which are welded to the frame...
    But it all worked out because i have my truck back.. allinged perfect and you would never know that damaged even happened... needless to say i learned my lesson.. i will Always go to the dealer if i cant do it myself.. Because they know our trucks inside and out!!!!

Truck fish 030.jpg
    Truck fish 027.jpg

2. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    Can't say I agree with you. I had my truck aligned at Firestone, and it is great. I had a very pleasent experience with them, and have recommended them many times over. It is probably just THAT store.

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    pwrstrk02

pwrstrk02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    randy
    kansas city missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4,dc,off road, black pearl
    I know it's just cause you are angry. But you aughta just say don't go to so and so firestone to get an alighnment. There are bad ones all over the place, evevas some toy dealers. My favorite guy is at tires plus in kc. Mo. They know their shit there. So be fair to the others please. But glad all turned out ok in the end.

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    firestone doesn't have the best rep... i stay away from places like that. i have no problem going to a good independent shop though if they know this stuff...

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Those alignment tabs bend on our trucks all the time. Also, the alignment cams tend to seize in the lower control arms which makes it impossible to align the truck and causes the alignment to change as the suspension cycles. Toyota doesn't lube the LCA pivots from the factory.

Not exactly defending anybody, but it's possible they were just trying to get some frozen stuff to move.

6. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    The alignment tech @ the Firestone in Hampton "test drove" my truck yesterday, not knowing I was there still, after an alignment and proceeded to lead-foot it in 2nd gear almost to redline. Thank goodness I have my scangauge. I pointed it out to the asshole and he realized he was caught and just walked away. So I went down this morning and talked to the manager, the kid then gave me a half-assed apology. But it felt good having the scangauge to prove my RPM's (4,000 btw, sounded worse when you're watching some punk ass kid drive your baby down the road at full throttle).

7. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Wow, what a douche.
    Scangauge FTW!

8. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    tllstaco

tllstaco Member

Member:
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab 4x4
    Allpro 3-inch lift, Stubbs welding sliders, AllPro Front and Rear bumpers, AllPro skidplates, 285-75R-16 BFG MTs.
    Here's a post I made on the TXTTORA forum about my Firestone experience.

I've been without my truck for 2 weeks now and need to vent about it. I tore a CV boot on 6/14 coming back from Kerrville. Needing to get it repaired so I can get to work, we called the only place open in Pearland on a Sunday....Firestone. They said as long as they could get the parts then they could get it fixed by 5pm. They called and said they couldn't finish on Sunday and it would be mid-morning on Monday. Ok, no problem, I'll take a few hours of vacation and just go to work in the afternoon.

Monday comes around and I call mid-morning. They tell me the technician was not even scheduled to start until 10am and it wouldn't be ready until noon. Called at noon and they had not started working on it. Called at 2pm and they had torn one of the the tie-rod end boots and had to order parts. Finally at 6:30pm, they said it was fixed. I'm pissed since I was out 9 hours of vacation at that point.

I drove it for a few days and there was a grinding noise when I first started out in the morning. On Thursday, I jacked up the truck and found the source of the noise....the dust shield was hitting the rotor. No biggie, easily fixed. As I was looking around, they had left the cotter pin out of the lower ball joint bolt, tore the other tie-rod end boot and had left several bolts out of my skid plate. As I went to put the tire back on, I tried to spin it and it would not freely rotate.....not good, something is binding.

Friday is here and I call Firestone back to complain. They said bring it in and they'll get on it right away. I took 2 more hours of vacation and took it in at noon. They tell me it won't be done until Saturday. Saturday at 11am, I call and get the run-around from the person I talked to so I drove up to the shop. The service manager tries to give me the song and dance, but the facts are they haven't even started working on it. I proceeded to blow a gasket. Glad my daughter wasn't around.

Sunday comes around and I haven't heard anything. Have my wife drops me off at the shop at 4:30pm so I can put some pressure on them. The tech says he's got it done and asks me to take it for a spin. I drive down the road and the brake pedal goes to the floor. I turn around in a parking lot and the brakes start rubbing. Back at the shop, the technician bleeds the brakes and thinks the rubbing is from grease on the rotors. He cleans up the rotors with brake cleaner and asks me to drive it some more. I drive down the road and the brakes are rubbing except when I turn to the left. The tech and manager still think that it is due to dirty rotors. I took it home and told them I'll drive it and see if it goes away. The brakes rub all the way home (about a mile or 2) so I jack up the front of the truck, take the tire off and look at the brakes... They look okay so I put the tire back on. After tightening the bolts, I pushed on the top of the tire and it moved. Proceed to jack up the truck, take of the end cap, and I can grab the axle and move it up and down in the bearing....not good.

Monday comes around and my wife carpools so I can get to work. I take more vacation and slowly drive the truck up to the shop. Jack it up and show them the issue and the fact that the tires still don't rotate freely. They feel bad for my trouble and get me a rental car.

Fast forward to today. They have tried 4 sets of axles from Advanced, O'Reillys, and Autozone and 2 sets of bearings and nothing has improved. I still have the rental car. Yesterday they finally broke down and ordered some Toyota axles. It will be 2 - 3 more days before they get the parts. :rolleyes:

I did finally get the truck fixed. I do have to admit that Firestone tried to make it right and it didn't cost me a dime other than the original quote ($660). I figure they spent well north of $2,000 - $3,000 in parts and labor. The truck never did drive quite right after this little incident though so I traded it a few weeks back.

9. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    pwrstrk02

pwrstrk02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    randy
    kansas city missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4,dc,off road, black pearl
    Shew. What an ordeal

10. Apr 6, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Dang! Is that Firestone on Broadway FM518 near Discount Tire? If so, that's where I go to get my alignment done. Sorry to hear about your issues. Yeah, I have had them re-align several times back to back because they couldn't dial it in. Glad they didn't do any damage.

11. Apr 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    tllstaco

tllstaco Member

Member:
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab 4x4
    Allpro 3-inch lift, Stubbs welding sliders, AllPro Front and Rear bumpers, AllPro skidplates, 285-75R-16 BFG MTs.
    Yep. That's it. I was just happy they worked to try and make it right and I didn't have to pay any extra. It's all good though, I got a new truck!! :)

12. Apr 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    You have to remember. It is a corporation and not all firestones will be the same.

13. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    tllstaco

tllstaco Member

Member:
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab 4x4
    Oops....I just re-read you post and that isn't the Firestone I went to. The one I went to is closer to 288 near CR90. Sorry

14. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Exactly. Just because some folks at one Firestone shop screwed up doesn't mean the whole company is jacked up. Besides, they paid to have it fixed so I don't see a problem.

And WTF is "waloring" and "wolored"?

15. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    toyotacoma

toyotacoma Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Kenwood Excelon X-592 Custom TRD Badges
    I haven't had any problems with Firestone, guess it was just that certain shop

16. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    Those shops are like dealerships. Some are good. Most are bad. You just gotta find the ones that have people with a half a brain working there.

17. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    What are the two words in bold?

18. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    I have been using a Firestone store for 15 years and have had no problems. They did an alignment on a lifted truck (tacoma) yesterday. Really worked hard to get the Caster the way I wanted it. They do all the work I don't want to do. There are good and bad shops every where, I have a good one neaR ME>:p

19. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    JDMcompliant

JDMcompliant Professional Amateur

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    sucks...but your truck looks sick. haha

20. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah- I disagree with your blanket "Don't got to Firestone" The service manger and the tech that works on my truck at the firestone near me are GREAT guys and I have had nothing but excellent service and great luck with them.
    They do a FAR better job working on my truck than some of the stories I've heard from dealers out there.
    Sorry your experience sucked...Glad that it's all back together!!

Products Discussed in

To Top