1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 2.7 L Toyota Engine; I4 vs. V6 as "Daily Driver"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gnuenglander, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Oct 24, 2008 at 7:18 PM
    gnuenglander

gnuenglander [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Access Cab 5 speed manual
    The October 2008 Toyota News e-mail says that the 2009 Toyota Highlander will be getting a new 4-cylinder engine, to arrive in dealerships in January 2009. This new engine is listed as a 2.7-liter, 4-cylinder that will generate 187 horsepower and 186 lb.-ft. of torque. These HP and torque numbers are superior to what is listed for the 2.7 liter, 4-cylinder engine that is currently available in the Toyota Tacoma pickup. I am considering a Tacoma purchase, and am wondering if the new 2.7 liter Highlander engine will also be made available in the Tacoma in the near future.

Also, any thoughts on purchasing the I4 vs. the V6 in the 4X4 configuration, (access cab). As a "daily driver", will the I4 provide significant gas savings? I will occasionally tow a utility trailer (2,500 lbs max.), but don't think I need the power of the V6.

Thanks!

2. Oct 24, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The 2.7 in the new Highlander is a different engine entirely than the 2.7 in the Tacoma. The Highlander engine is a transverse mounted engine allowing for front wheel drive, and its in a much different state of tune. FWIW, A friend of mine has the 2.7 in his ext. cab 4x4 Tacoma and is really pleased with its performance.

3. Oct 24, 2008 at 10:18 PM
    zuter

zuter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 4 cyl
    2nd filter, undercover, debaged, bug deflector, more to follow!
    I have the 09 4 cyl 4x4 Tacoma and can tell you that I really enjoy it. I don't off road myself but it's my daily driver for city and highway. The milage has been great for both (485+ highway and 400+ city) but I find I can feel it even when I've got a small load. I won't use this for towing...the wife's V6 Jeep gets that chore.

Chris4x4 points out the difference between the engines in the Taco and 09 highlander. Since this isn't a foreseeable option you may have to wait until Toyota comes out with their 3rd gen Tacoma's (2013 approx.).

There are however many people here that use the 4 bangers, with and without the 4x4 option, as a hauler/towing without any issues. If you are more concerned with milage then look to the 4's. It'll do the job and get great mpg's.

Products Discussed in

To Top