1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new 2014...cruise control question ?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Hot2na, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Mar 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    navin

navin Well-Known Member

Member:
    To add to post #3, I believe this is the connector regarding the CC wiring. Sadly, my truck is not CC ready.

[​IMG]

2. Mar 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    navin

navin Well-Known Member

Member:
    So, Ebay for the full CC kit? Is it a nightmare to install the full kit? I'd rather not be chopping into the wiring harness with piggyback splice fittings, is it a clean install, plug & play style?

Thanks for all the info!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Mar 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    clcartwr

clcartwr Member

Member:
    Yes that looks like the connector. Just be sure you are looking at the right pin (face view) location. I think it was a Brown wire but I will check later.

4. Mar 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM
    navin

navin Well-Known Member

Member:

Yes, thank you. I had the face view and checked it from both the front (open) side and rear. Nothing in that slot.

5. Mar 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM
    clcartwr

clcartwr Member

Member:
    All is plug and play except the clutch switch. The hardest part would be running the wires under the dash. I got mine off Amazon for a good price.

6. Mar 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM
    navin

navin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks!

7. Apr 28, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    navin

navin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wired up my Rostra CC kit today, no power to anything. No dash light. Is there a fuse that might be missing from the panel? That would be too easy, and I can't find it in the manual. I've been retracing my steps but can't figure it out. Dead at the plug under the steering wheel, no power to the switch. Weird.

One thing I called tech about, the light green wire that the clutch switch gets spliced into, directions said to use the RED "T" splice which is a dead end for 2 wires, like a butt splice. The pics show the lt. green wire intact thru the T connector, like the blue one they included. Tech said to use the blue and not to cut the lt. green harness wire...

Any ideas? Tech support is closed already.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  8. Apr 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    navin

navin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Resolved it, the power connector at the ECM wasn't deep enough in the connector. Be sure they are visible on the face of the plug. Mine was 1/8" or so out and I couldn't force it in deeper. I ended up reaming the hole a bit with a pick and using another connector, then splicing the wires together with the RED T (butt) connector I had left over.

*** Note, the instructions are wrong for the 13-14 Tacoma regarding that lt green wire and RED "T" connector. The wire shouldn't be cut which the RED connector would require. Use a regular piggy back style connector to leave the lt. green completely in place.

9. Sep 10, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    codetonic

codetonic New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4cyl 5spd 4x4
    air horn
    Hot2na's original question was How can you tell if it's pre-wired? I have a 2014 4x4 4cyl 5spd base model. I can see the word Cruise in the instrument face, no light comes on at key-on. What is the defining clue that my Tacoma is pre-wired? Do I have to pull the airbag pod and look for the wiring connector?

10. Sep 11, 2018 at 4:11 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    More than likely you are “pre-wired” however you won’t have the clutch “disengagement” switch though.You will run one wire to the ECU and then 8nstall the stalk is what I did. I did go OCD and got the trim piece from eBay also for where the stalk comes through.

Check here and look at the instructions, this is the kit your dealer would purchase anyways.
    Rostra even had a YouTube vid to help. Pay close attention to the kit number. I searched it on eBay and saved a few bucks.

http://www.rostra.com/search.php

If you can remember you don’t have a clutch disengagement switch, you could just run the cruise stalk and use it normally.

I did that on my 2012 5-spd RC 4x4.

22CDF7FA-FA35-42C6-9C4C-1471576380CB.jpg

11. Sep 11, 2018 at 11:43 AM
    codetonic

codetonic New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4cyl 5spd 4x4
    air horn
    Yee Haw!
    My base model is wired.
    The clutch disengage switch is Toyota part number: 88280-14030 and costs about $25 whether you get it from them, Amazon or eBay.
    It replaces the stop bolt which needs a 14MM wrench or socket and has a lock nut, unseen behind the steel plate in the picture.
    The wire connector has enough length to reach the switch. There is a piece of tape holding the extra length.

I ordered the control wand from eBay for $10 (China). Toyota wants $177. This is where China's ability to copy really works in our favor.
    I bought this truck new and asked the parts/service guy about adding on factory cruise since the wiring was already in place (I was making the assumption at the time).
    He told me straight out the wiring wasn't there and they could add a 3rd party CC for $700.
    We'll see, hope it works. More later...

ClutchCancelSwitch.jpg

MSN88longbed likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top