1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 2nd gen owner

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mark_metheny, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Mar 31, 2023 at 9:54 PM
    mark_metheny

mark_metheny [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Tacoma
    Just purchased a used 2011 TRD with 224k miles and hace a few issues. First issue is the brakes feel like they are from a 40s Ford abd hard to press. Granted I can drive the truck fine but need this addressed. I have a basic code scanner and there are no codes at all. Second issue, 4x4 won’t engage. I turn the switch and the lights blink. Third issue, AC compresor won’t engage. Fourth issue, air bag light is on. 5th issue, no low beam head lights, fifth issue, rear diff won’t lock.
    Granted, there are lots of fixes on this site, and I have tried several of them, but if someone could address each one individually, I would greatly appreciate it. I have tried unplugging the airbag under the seats and disconnecting the battery, but the light is still on, I have tried changing the fuses and relays for the low beams, I’m afraid to even think about the Hydro boost for the brakes, and I haven’t researched the rear diff yet.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Apr 1, 2023 at 6:38 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    Welcome to the forums

1 Brakes: I'm not too well versed on the hydraulic brake booster operation but do you have any warning lights on related to the brake system (Brake, ABS, VSC, etc)?

2 4wd: You usually have to be moving slightly for it to engage, if it still doesn't then you will need to check the limit switch voltages at the 4wd ECU and post your results so we know what part of the system to inspect. See This thread for details.

3 A/C: Is the A/C light flashing? If not then the first step is going to be to check if there is refrigerant in the system, if it is flashing then there is a list of things to check.

4 Airbag Light: You will need to get the codes from the Airbag module to proceed, since you don't have a scan tool that can talk to it you can flash them out on the light with a jumper wire (see the attached file below).

5 Headlights: Have you checked the bulbs? It's not uncommon to see 2 blown bulbs, I'm assuming the high beams work?. If those are good then your gona have to get a test light and start checking for power starting at the HEAD (LO RH) and HEAD (LO LH) fuses, headlight wiring diagram attached below.

6 Diff Lock: The diff lock will only operate in 4Low so you will need to get the 4wd system operational before you will know if the diff lock is gona work or not.

Attached Files:

Leomania likes this.
  3. Apr 1, 2023 at 9:22 AM
    blairrad

blairrad Yoter

Member:
    Missouri
    Just wondering why you purchased the truck with this many things wrong? Or why you wouldn't get a pre-inspection or anything?

EalSauce and Dm93 like this.
  4. Apr 1, 2023 at 9:37 AM
    mark_metheny

mark_metheny [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Tacoma
    It was a great deal, $9k, and I also got an extended warranty. Nothing is written up on the vehicle so it will all be covered but I’m trying to figure out if the fixes are small enough for me to do or wait for a warranty repair.

Dm93, blairrad and jackn7 like this.
  5. Apr 1, 2023 at 9:46 AM
    jackn7

jackn7 Old Man Tan Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB 4x4
    Just some stuff...
    Welcome to TW!

Dm93 likes this.
  6. Apr 1, 2023 at 10:00 AM
    blairrad

blairrad Yoter

Member:
    Missouri
    Gotcha. Very fair then. Good luck and welcome to the club.

Dm93 likes this.
  7. Apr 1, 2023 at 10:56 AM
    mark_metheny

mark_metheny [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Tacoma
    So, the 4wd engaged when driving at a slow speed so hopefully there isn’t anything else wrong with it. The airbag code was 51 which has about 4 different possibilities. Could it be the clock spring? The headlights are aftermarket so I had to order different bulbs to try They will be here in a bit. There are no lights flashing for the AC. The compressor just won’t engage. I’ll try to add some refrigerant in a bit abd get back with you.

8. Apr 1, 2023 at 10:57 AM
    mark_metheny

mark_metheny [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Tacoma
    And no lights for the Brakes, just really hard to press down but I can manage until I get it fixed. The replacement part is like $1500 if it’s the complete assembly.

9. Apr 2, 2023 at 7:49 AM
    mark_metheny

mark_metheny [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Tacoma
    Another update, added refrigerant and the AC blows super cold now. Must have a small leak, way better than a bad compressor. The new bulbs were the only problem and the lights work fine now. Last 2 issues are the airbag light and the brakes. I ordered a new click spring for $40 to see if they will fix the issue since the cruise control also doesn’t work but I appreciate all the comments and help! I’m guessing whoever looked at it at the dealership had no idea what they were doing so their loss is my gain!

jackn7 and YotaProject like this.
  10. Apr 2, 2023 at 8:13 AM
    YotaProject

YotaProject Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    Fox Lifted 2007 Taco With Mods Here & There
    If you have no cruise, an airbag light and no horn then the clock spring is likely bad.

11. Apr 2, 2023 at 10:25 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Did you charge your AC yourself - if so how did you do it ? Any answer or links appreciated.

12. Apr 2, 2023 at 5:16 PM
    mark_metheny

mark_metheny [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Tacoma
    Yes, I recharged it myself. I went to AutoZone and bought one of the cans of refrigerant with a digital meter and just follow the directions on the can

13. Apr 2, 2023 at 5:17 PM
    REDdawn6

REDdawn6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redlands CA.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Weelcome home

14. Apr 2, 2023 at 5:20 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    That's for the reply - I saw Scotty doing this - good 2 C it works.

15. Apr 2, 2023 at 6:39 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    Be cautious. Mine was blowing cool, not cold. Being ac ignorant, I added a can and apparently overfilled it. The compressor semi seized, smelled like burnt clutch, throwing sparks, chewed the belt.

16. Apr 2, 2023 at 6:45 PM
    mark_metheny

mark_metheny [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Tacoma
    I’ve done that before also. I installed a whole new AC system in our van and overcharged it and blew the compressor on the way to California. I won’t make that mistake twice. The AC blowing super cold in the truck now, I even have to turn it down. I’m sure it has a small leak somewhere, but I’ll get that fixed before we hit 100° here in Arizona.

17. Apr 3, 2023 at 11:26 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply - some of the guys say they over charged and blew the compressor - I guess you avoided that with the digital meter - correct ?

18. Apr 3, 2023 at 11:35 AM
    Cincy Tacoma

Cincy Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Welcome to TW.

19. Apr 3, 2023 at 11:37 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    @mark_metheny ”I have a 2011 TRD”… TRD what model?

The TRD Sport has a different brake booster setup than the TRD OffRoad, which will help us internet diagnose your brake issues.

jackn7 likes this.
  20. Apr 3, 2023 at 11:39 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    Also, formatting will help a lot. Like this:
    Here are the current issues I am diagnosing:
    1) The brakes feel like they are from a 40s Ford and hard to press. Granted I can drive the truck fine but need this addressed. I have a basic code scanner and there are no codes at all.
    2) 4x4 won’t engage. I turn the switch and the lights blink.
    3) AC compresor won’t engage
    4) The air bag light is on
    5) No low beam head lights
    6) Rear diff won’t lock

Products Discussed in

To Top