1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New AlphaRex headlights (reflector style)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Cement_Coma, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Sep 20, 2020 at 3:36 PM
    Cement_Coma

Cement_Coma [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD Sport
    Taco Mods @mesocustoms Ultimate Map Lights @mesocustoms Coin Holder @methodracewheels MR309 Grid @falkentire Wildpeak AT3W 265/75R16 @spidertrax 1.25” Hub Centric Wheel Spacers @clazziousa Leather Seat Covers @supreme_suspensions 2/1 leveling kit @tyger_auto Star Armor Running Boards @toyodecal “Taco Sauce Only” decal @toyotausa Blacked-Out LED fog lights @auxitoled LED Headlight Bulbs @vleds LED License Plate lights @victory4x4 Bike Rear Tire Tray @rockymounts LoBall Locking Truck Mount @ajt_design Injection Fob TRD Pro style grille Gator Tri-Fold Hard Tonneau Cover
    Has anyone noticed these new AlphaRex Projector style LED headlights for preorder?

I noticed today on TacomaBeast.com they have preorders up for some new reflector style headlights that more resemble to stock 2020 LED headlights. They look pretty sweet and are at a more reasonable price than the projector style alpharex currently available. Also, they no longer have “AlphaRex” etched into the light, which many people didn’t like.

FBAE2570-07F2-4DFF-A73A-F6E8264928A6.jpg

2. Sep 20, 2020 at 3:40 PM
    dal3_gribble

dal3_gribble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Crew Cab SB TRD Offroad
    Are they LED or halogen?

3. Sep 20, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    Cement_Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    Taco Mods @mesocustoms Ultimate Map Lights @mesocustoms Coin Holder @methodracewheels MR309 Grid @falkentire Wildpeak AT3W 265/75R16 @spidertrax 1.25” Hub Centric Wheel Spacers @clazziousa Leather Seat Covers @supreme_suspensions 2/1 leveling kit @tyger_auto Star Armor Running Boards @toyodecal “Taco Sauce Only” decal @toyotausa Blacked-Out LED fog lights @auxitoled LED Headlight Bulbs @vleds LED License Plate lights @victory4x4 Bike Rear Tire Tray @rockymounts LoBall Locking Truck Mount @ajt_design Injection Fob TRD Pro style grille Gator Tri-Fold Hard Tonneau Cover
    I believe they are LED. I’ll try to confirm

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  4. Sep 20, 2020 at 3:52 PM
    dal3_gribble

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Crew Cab SB TRD Offroad
    I hated the logo of the originals. I would have probably bought those if they were available before I did my own retrofit on the older OEM style.

Cement_Coma[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 20, 2020 at 3:53 PM
    Cement_Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    I agree. I’ve emailed Mateo (the owner of TacomaBeast) and AlphaRex for confirmation on whether they are LED for sure. Will let you know

6. Sep 20, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    Cement_Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    AlphaRex confirmed with me they are entirely LED. High and Low beams as well.

dal3_gribble likes this.
  7. Sep 20, 2020 at 4:27 PM
    Asc_0989

Asc_0989 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    So tempting, they show a clip of them on one of tacomabeast YouTube videos. They look sweet.

dal3_gribble likes this.
  8. Sep 20, 2020 at 5:12 PM
    Cement_Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    I’ll have to check that out... maybe I shouldn’t cause I’ll want to spend money lol

Asc_0989[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 20, 2020 at 5:17 PM
    dal3_gribble

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Crew Cab SB TRD Offroad
    I just retrofit my stock headlights myself and did all of the labor. Bi-Led retrofits + diode dynamics DRLs alone were $650. I think mine are unique and cool, but these new headlights are a great deal for what they are.

Cement_Coma[OP] and Tacospike like this.
  10. Sep 20, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    Whoa, looks almost identical. The side markers are not the oem led 2020 style so I wonder if those are still halogen.
    Crazy

11. Sep 20, 2020 at 7:45 PM
    Cement_Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yeah looks like those are probably halogen. Unless they have an LED bulb in its place but who knows. I do like the look of these a lot though.

CDC3BEA5-7B54-41FA-AEDC-A33B285E5EE4.jpg

Tacospike[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Sep 21, 2020 at 10:47 PM
    Roo357

Roo357 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ruben
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 OFF ROAD
    I saw they have Alpha Black, Black and Chrome options. I want to preorder, but I don’t know the difference between Alpha black and black? Does anyone know the difference?

13. Sep 21, 2020 at 11:31 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Man when are you guys going to stop falling for this crap. AlphaRex is just reselling you cheap China Alibaba lights at major markups. If you really want a poor quality LED headlight, just buy direct and cut the middle man out:
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.1.5ab266bc0uXkFn

Also note while they look like OEM they will not at all compare in quality and performance. The OEM lights have 5 low beam emitters, the Alibaba lights have 3. The OEMs have 2 high beam emitters, Alibaba lights have 1. Alibaba/AlphaRex lights have shown to be poor performers unlikely to pass any legitimate SAE compliance tests. If you are going to go cheap, might as well buy directly from the source.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  14. Sep 22, 2020 at 4:22 AM
    Cement_Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    So you saw a similar headlight housing on Alibaba but didn’t take the time to read the description... cool story. It clearly states on Alibaba that the ones you linked for $599 are halogen setups as to why the price is a bit lower. Maybe they offer an LED version as well. I don’t really know.
    Also, there have been TONS of satisfied people with the AlphaRex application and LED light output. If real people are satisfied then who cares honestly. They look good and perform well enough that it is worth it to some people.
    I get it’s your opinion and that’s fine. But don’t come on here insinuating people are falling for “crap” when you couldn’t even realize those are halogen setups.

RCSpartan19 likes this.
  15. Sep 22, 2020 at 4:26 AM
    Cement_Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    The Alpha Black has a more smoked appearance. Check out the pics

96430228-3DF7-44D6-BB29-E9B4E652E39C.jpg
    6A6C058A-393E-4E51-8039-07A1D117CDB1.jpg

Roo357[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 22, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Says right on the Alibaba listing, “full LED headlamp” if you bothered to click the link. The design is very clearly LED and not halogen. Unfortunately there is far more to proper headlight design than they turn on and people are happy. It is very evident based on all the reviews of other Alibaba/AlpaRex products the headlights are not designed properly, as one would expect from a low quality source like Alibaba. The “hot spots” are way to low in the pattern creating massive foreground light and loss of distance light, which isn’t how a headlight is supposed to work at all. The hot spot should be at the cut off and foreground light should be minimized with a smooth blend in increasing intensity up to the cut off. However an awful pattern dumping excessive foreground light looks very impressive from the driver seat, not realizing you can now outrun your headlights. It is very clear that the Alibaba products lack any proper optical engineering design. I wouldn’t expect these to be any better.

FD0DDA03-E32B-4EE1-B30A-F18D298AC01D.jpg

TheCochese likes this.
  17. Sep 22, 2020 at 7:55 AM
    tacotroy17

tacotroy17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD-OR
    It's kind of misleading in the description of these. It says that they put a halogen in the highbeams and you have to buy your low beam bulbs. Then they mention HIDs or Halogens. Maybe LEDs can be installed too?

I would also like to point out that the Tacomabeast page makes absolutely no mention of of LEDs on their product page. They even call them projectors in the description.

18. Sep 22, 2020 at 7:58 AM
    Cement_Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    Correct, however i have contacted Alpha Rex directly and they “claim” that the ones for pre order are full LED low beam and high beam. So we shall see on that. Would be nice if that was clarified as you stated.

19. Sep 22, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    Cement_Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    6C8DB6E8-50D8-4A5D-9AD8-B95717F66F3A.jpg

20. Sep 22, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    Cement_Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    I understand they have it listed as “Full LED”. Doesn’t mean the picture isn’t deceiving... I mean it is Alibaba after all lol. But no one will truly know unless they actually buy one from them I suppose.

Products Discussed in

To Top