1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Car Smell STOLEN From Me...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by geoff7877, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    Had my new truck since mid February and I still have, or should I say HAD that new car smell until the other night.

Picked up my wife and son from the airport. My son (7) said that he didn't feel good but it wasn't his stomach. We drove for almost 2 hours home and as soon as I parked the car, he puked inthe back seat. It did get EVERYWHERE, but on the front of the the back seat between his legs and on the floor mat.

I ran in as soon as I could and grabbed the 409 carpet cleaner. It took the vomit smell out for the most part, but now it has that artificial perfumey mixed with a little vomit smell. Sounds gross, but it's starting to get hot so I stuck my face right in the seat cushion and there's puke smell in there. It's just covered up at the moment by perfumey carpet cleaner smell.

My questions are:

1. Can the stock seat fabric be removed? Probably not...

2. What will work that will leave things at least odorless?

Yes I did search and found a few things that I'm looking into... :D

2. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    That sucks man. If it makes you feel any better my Taco didn't seem to keep the "new car smell" as long as most cars for some reason. For that matter it didn't even seem to have that strong of a new smell to start with. Good luck getting the smell and/or any stains out.

3. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    febreeze maybe?

4. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    KCMaverick

KCMaverick Member

Member:
    What about having the seats steam cleaned? Either with a smallish Bisell spot doctor type gizmo or having it detailed and having the seats steam cleaned?

5. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Vomit smell is in the top ten worsts smells for me. You can get factory replacement seat covers, they are not cheap, probably close to the same price as doing a aftermarket leather seat cover option I understand. First, I would search for a industrial cleaner, maybe ask the details guys what they would use, someone here may have the answer or suggestion. You should be able to clean it well and lose the smell with the right cleaner. Sounds like you were right on it as soon as it happened, so hopefully it did not soak in. Also, you may consider taking the seating out to do a through cleaning of the seats and the surrounding areas hit if in fact it did go all over. :( Good Luck!

6. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Get one of these. They are great for accidents like yours.
    [​IMG]

8. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    I'd take it to a detailer to get cleaned up/steamed. If you take it to a decent place (with real professionals, not the ones who hire 17 year olds to do all the work) and tell them what's up they will know what to do. It might cost a little bit though... but IMO, it would be worth it. I know I couldnt handle vomit smell in my brand new truck. I wouldnt cheap out to clean it that's for sure.

If you want to do it yourself, rent/buy a good steam cleaner, and buy professional-grade deodorizer. Dont buy off-the-shelf shit like fabreeze - those are packed with perfumes to cover up smells instead of the right chemicals to soak up and remove them. Look online and you can find the stuff that hospitals use - that stuff works!

9. Jun 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    akhermit

akhermit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic TRD Offroad
    X2. These are a good investment. I had the old version of these, and I just bought a current one. I did not get the pro heat version.

I used one of these to clean the carpet on a vehicle that had not been cleaned in 7 years, and it produced amazing results on the carpet and the odors. It is time consuming, but worth it.

Even if you have your vehicle professionally detailed for the current issue, you should consider one of these for future spot cleaning, etc.

10. Jun 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    [​IMG]

I stick one of these into my Taco every couple of days. I deal with plumbing/sewer and work outside most of the day in AZ heat, needles to say that my truck smells gross when my tree starts to wear out, so I put new one in.

11. Jun 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    This happened to my brother truck some chick puke all over the floor on the back seat and make sure if you steam clean let it air out so it drys fully

12. Jun 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    Tuctaco

Tuctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Katzkins, Redline hood struts, Pop & Lock,285/75/16 Toyo Open County ATll, 16X8 Konig Countersteer, Icon extended coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Icon progressive leaf pack, LR UCA's, extended brake lines,
    I have my OEM seat covers from my 2012 TRD OR. I replaced them with Katzkins. They only were on for 2 months.

13. Jun 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Actually, in this case, I think it's the opposite of suck. The kid puked. :puke:

Anyway, I was thinking of steam cleaning as well, but others already suggested that. However, I'd go with a commercial cleaning instead (more steam to get the job done).

14. Jun 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    2011Streaker

2011Streaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    Sounds like the perfect excuse to talk the mrs into letting you get leather!

15. Jun 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Yep, call a professional and have it detailed. It won't be the first time they've done this, and it is a brand new truck, so totally worth it.

16. Jun 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my professor in high school bought a new caddy. he took it on a road trip..and ran a skunk over.. he said it exploded .then later down the road..he hit a deer.

he said. "well, there went that new car smell"
    i said.."yup..there went that new car look".

i feel your pain. hope the kid is feeling better.

17. Jun 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    TacoTitan11

TacoTitan11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. C
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    put the kid up for adoption....jk

18. Jun 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    Don't use the bissle, it's nice but won't do the job, you'll need to get a degreaser, hot water, and a good carpet cleaner such as the rug doctor that you can rent. You can remove the seats take off the covers which are held on my metal rings. Once cleaned and everything is amored all'ed up. You can get an air freshener that has wood/vanilla/leather scent in it. They've actually made new car sent these days.

19. Jun 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    OP, don't forget to save a screenshot or two of this thread to show to your kid in ten years or so when he get his first car!

20. Jun 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

Your statement right there had me rolling on the floor!

Sorry that happened to you.

Products Discussed in

To Top