1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New fuel filter leaking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pickuptruckguy, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Jan 3, 2016 at 10:30 PM
    pickuptruckguy

pickuptruckguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 Doublecab 4x4
    Tried replacing my non Toyota brand fuel filter w 40k miles on it with a new Toyota filter. The new one is leaking from the outlet port. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple times but same story. Wound up reinstalling the old unit. Apparently this isn't an uncommon issue. Any ideas why the new one is defective? The threads and inner ball flange look fine to me.

IMAG0934.jpg
    IMAG0923.jpg

2. Jan 3, 2016 at 11:38 PM
    CodeSeven

CodeSeven LOC: 33.781461, -115.867251

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge.
    Coachella Valley
    Vehicle:
    '00 Taco 3.4 4x4 TRD ( <3), '06 Taco Prerunner 4.0 (totaled)
    3 inch lift. bluetooth stereo. blue transparent skulls shift knobs
    probably a damaged seat inside the fuel filter. take it back to the autoparts store you got it from and say it was leaking from the outlet and you had to put the previous one back on just to run your vehicle, and that it doesnt leak with the old one back on your vehicle. it shouldn't be a problem to defect it and get a new one. just tell them you want a new one and they should be fine with it.

Wulf likes this.
  3. Jan 4, 2016 at 12:52 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Dirt on the flare can also cause them to leak.

A piece of rust or grit then it got knocked off in swapping filters.

A nick or burr where the flare sits on the filter.

Abeyancer likes this.
  4. Jan 4, 2016 at 7:15 AM
    opteron

opteron Well-Known Member

Member:
    whittier, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2003 DB 4x4 SR5
    Leer camper, bug-rug, fox suspension 2.0 rear, fox 2.5 front, BAMF sliders and LCA, TRD fake 3 piece rims
    I installed a wix fuel filter, from my experience. Don't be afraid to man handle the fuel lines to line up when threading in the line. Also use a flared wrench.

Also from what I seen on the fuel filter once they start threading it starts crushing the seal. So you might need another fuel filter. If damaged already...

CS_AR and greengaint97 like this.
  5. Jan 4, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    Antwonizzle

Antwonizzle Member

Member:
    The only sealing surface is the flat part of the flared tube, and the flat angled surface in the filter. A leak can only happen if those two surfaces aren't perfectly mating together.

Was it like a drip drip leak or a spray?

GQ7227 likes this.
  6. Jan 4, 2016 at 11:38 AM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    I put a Wix fuel filter on my 3.4 and it went right on perfectly. Taking the old Denso one off was another story!

CS_AR likes this.
  7. Jan 4, 2016 at 12:35 PM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    I change filters every spring Don`t think I ever had one leak.

There was a T100 once I never could break the nuts loose ending up installing one with replaceable element It was not cheap but it works great

8. Jan 4, 2016 at 3:40 PM
    Clucky

Clucky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    W
    WC to EC back to WC
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 Stock 5 Speed
    & 12 TRD Stock 6 Speed
    I've had problems with fuel filters. The first time I swapped mine out I tried two different parts store brands and both leaked from the outlet side. After closer examination I noticed the cone on the two part store filters were smaller than the original, the cone being the portion inside the connection where the tubing mates to. I then picked up a Toyota filter and the cone portion was definitely larger and that one installed with no leaks. This last time, even with a Toyota filter, I had to alternately tighten both inlet and outlet connections slowly and equally to not have any small leaks.

9. Jan 4, 2016 at 3:47 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    On my '01 I found I had a leak after replacing the fuel filter. I had to tighten the crap out of in order to get it to seal correctly.

10. Jan 4, 2016 at 7:51 PM
    pickuptruckguy

pickuptruckguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 Doublecab 4x4
    Thanks for the replies. I'm returning the filter. Changed plenty of these on various cars over the years and never had one leak. I'll try another new Toyota filter and see how it goes.

opteron and GQ7227 like this.
  11. May 13, 2017 at 11:12 PM
    Kalibr

Kalibr Member

Member:
    I thought I would share my experience. Installed a new Toyota (Denso) filter -- leak on the inlet side. Messed around for a while screwing/unscrewing the fitting, trying to fit the flared lines at slightly different angles, etc. After 5 or 6 tries and almost ready to go find a flaring tool (thought the flared end is damages or something) or a new filter, it worked! No leak. So, those flared line ends are very particular and have to mate with the filter fittings just right. Be patient. No need to torque too much. And please no teflon tape, RTV or alike.

Rachelsdaddy likes this.
  12. May 14, 2017 at 3:42 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    One also needs to be careful it only takes a small piece of grit in the threads or on the flare to cause a leak

Good luck trying to re flare old weather exposed lines it might be here in the North East but all my tries the line cracked

GQ7227 likes this.
  13. May 14, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    I need to do this. What is the scheduled maintenance time between changing them according to Toyota?

GQ7227 likes this.
  14. May 14, 2017 at 10:23 AM
    Kalibr

Kalibr Member

Member:
    This is not a Toyota scheduled maintenance item. I just bought the truck with 170k miles and going through everything I feel like changing. I guess, Toyota considers it a "lifetime" component that can be run to failure. You may or may not agree with this, but I think you can run it to failure with no consequence to safety or the wellbeing of other truck system or components. The problem with running it to failure is that it won't be easy to know for sure when it is starting to clog. You'd notice the engine starving for fuel, but at that point it could be several different things -- clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump, or failing injectors. I think you might see the ECU throwing a lean condition code or low fuel pressure, etc. So, it might be a bit of a hustle to troubleshoot a failing fuel filter. On the other hand, it's a very easy and inexpensive item to replace for the piece of mind (if everything goes well....). Similarly, I am also replacing the PCV valve and the spark plug harness (together with the spark plugs) although those are not scheduled maintenance items and they are working fine at the moment. And I am cleaning the MAF sensor and the throttle body -- no failure and they are not scheduled maintainance items.
    Some people call this preventive maintenance. Other people call it provocative meintainance in the sense that it often provokes/introduces failure instead of preventing it. The science is actually on the side of those who think that it is safer and more economical to run most mechanical and electrical components to failure instead of preventively replacing them. Statistically, most failures happen as a result of so called preventive maintenance. There are two main reasons for that -- one is the possibility of technician's errors and the other one is because of defective new parts (most defects let themselves known early in the component's life). It is also more economical overall to run a component to failure than to preventively replace it. This is solid and fairly old science. But I like working on my new to me truck and enjoy the "provocative" maintenance I am doing at the moment :)

Currygoat, osterhagen, GQ7227 and 3 others like this.
  15. May 14, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    As long as you factor in the Recovery Costs

Much cheaper to get rescued from the Mall parking lot then 15 miles deep in the mountains or other exciting places one might venture

GQ7227 likes this.
  16. May 14, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    CS_AR

CS_AR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma PreRunner TRD
    Everything but the driveshaft. B03A - 410
    This afternoon I tried to replace the old Wix fuel filter with a new OEM. I went through the steps to make sure the threads would spin up so no cross threading. All looked good but a small leak at the inlet side. Tried to retighten without success. So I finally gave up and put the old Wix back on. No leaks. I guess I need to go buy another Wix. It looks like the Wix has a larger or slightly different shaped nipple on the inside where it mates up with the fuel line. The doesn't make any sense.

GQ7227 likes this.
  17. May 14, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    309km east of Hazard ...the good life
    Vehicle:
    '97 black SR5 0g ~ MT @ 176k ...
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...
    that reminds me I need to locate the Timmy The Toolman video to refresh how to do this, make sure I have the proper tools or the DIY garage has them
    when I get on the rented lift to put my lower shield back on I am going to attempt this, probably gonna need some lube to make everything loosen up, dealer mechanic stopped changing these for me more than 15yrs ago
    they said it was a lifetime part!

Luv my yota and CS_AR like this.
  18. May 14, 2019 at 7:52 PM
    CS_AR

CS_AR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma PreRunner TRD
    Everything but the driveshaft. B03A - 410
    I use a 14mm flair wrench for the pipe fittings and a 19mm to hold the filter body still. Use 10mm barrel sockets to remove the filter bracket and release the line holders. Just make sure you can finger spin the fittings into the filter without much effort so you know you don't have those cross threaded.

GQ7227[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. May 14, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    309km east of Hazard ...the good life
    Vehicle:
    '97 black SR5 0g ~ MT @ 176k ...
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...
    i remember changing fuel filters on my late '70s toyotas, so easy to do on the topside

it looked like this with just rubber hoses
    [​IMG]

osterhagen and jammer like this.
  20. May 14, 2019 at 8:25 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    For me, I really had to tighten the shit out of the inlet side to get it to not leak. Using the proper wrench of course.

GQ7227 and jammer like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top