1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New fuel pump?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DevL, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Aug 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have you had your fuel pump go out? At how many miles? What was the cost to replace?

After all the "burned up fuel pump" scare stories I have to ask... I have run every car I have ever owned out of fuel 6-20 times and never had a burned out fuel pump so I wonder how big a deal this is for a Taocma in reality.

2. Aug 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    don't buy an OEM fuel pump...the filter is internal and you gotta drop the tank and remove the pump every time you have to change the filter...

I am about to install a Walbro 255 Fuel Pump...I got mines new off a member on XRU...I prefer an external fuel filter that way I don't need to drop the tank when replacing the filter...

you can get a Walbro 255 Fuel Pump for the 1GR-FE motor from URD for $155... <-click for link

OEM Fuel Pump - $512 for 1GR-FE <-click for link

its also not smart to run the fuel tank completely empty...especially with fuel injected...you starve the fuel pump of necessary fuel so it may start to run hot and burnout the fuel pump motor..

3. Aug 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07, Dodge Ram 35004x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6M

It is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be..... proably not the best thing for the fuel pump, but def not a deal beaker...

You are not going to kill your fuel pump by running out of fuel.... bc without oil pressure it will not operate for much more than a few seconds...( which primes the system.)

4. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:53 PM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    Thread resurrect.

Have you swapped fuel pumps yet? If so, where did you relocate the fuel filter to?

Products Discussed in

To Top